Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 PM

70 posts, read 188,064 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have rented for two years in Daytona Beach, and are looking to buy a home -- preferably Beachside, where we currently live.

A large number of the houses we've looked at have underground oil tanks, some still in use, some not. I know in some parts of the country, especially in the NE, home buyers react to UGSTs like they were dirty bombs, and horror stories abound of six figure liability for ground contamination.

Down here the attitude toward these underground tanks seems less hysterical, although my wife has a friend who couldn't get homeowners insurance for her Beachside house until the sellers agreed to dig up an abandoned tank that was on the property and have the soil tested.

What do you think our attitude toward buying a house with an underground oil tank should be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
With so many houses for sale you have the luxury of just avoiding homes that have buried oil tanks,.I'd steer clear of homes with under ground tanks not because i think they would pose an environmental problem but they'd be hell on the resale value of the house or getting some one to actually buy the house if you decided to sell it in the future.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
With so many houses for sale you have the luxury of just avoiding homes that have buried oil tanks,.I'd steer clear of homes with under ground tanks not because i think they would pose an environmental problem but they'd be hell on the resale value of the house or getting some one to actually buy the house if you decided to sell it in the future.
What he said ^^^.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
I have to agree that it's probably better to avoid, but, if you really like the house, ask around about a tank maintenance company that would remove it. If you get an environmental (spill) company involved, it will be big bucks. Tank maintenance can usually do it for a fraction of the cost. That is, if it's intact and hasn't leaked.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,590 times
Are you sure they're oil tanks and not propane tanks? I've never heard of anyone using heating oil in Florida, but in areas where natural gas isn't available it's not uncommon for houses to use propane for their stove and dryer.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoty View Post
Are you sure they're oil tanks and not propane tanks? I've never heard of anyone using heating oil in Florida, but in areas where natural gas isn't available it's not uncommon for houses to use propane for their stove and dryer.
I was just reading that there are thousands of oil tanks in Volusia and that the county will come out and remove the oil for free.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 AM

70 posts, read 188,064 times
Thanks for your replies. These tanks are heating oil, not propane. In Ormond Beach, beachside, they're everywhere -- and not always listed in the sellers disclosure. We looked at a home yesterday up in Ormond-by-the-Sea where our realtor noticed the fill pipe. The tank, which was abandoned, was underneath a driveway slab one of the owners poured on the near side if the house.

I'm going to talk to the county DEP tomorrow to find out more about these tanks.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
I never heard of homes in Florida having oil tanks for furnaces. That seems pretty stypid, it dont get cold enough here for it.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmaraschino View Post
Thanks for your replies. These tanks are heating oil, not propane. In Ormond Beach, beachside, they're everywhere -- and not always listed in the sellers disclosure. We looked at a home yesterday up in Ormond-by-the-Sea where our realtor noticed the fill pipe. The tank, which was abandoned, was underneath a driveway slab one of the owners poured on the near side if the house.

I'm going to talk to the county DEP tomorrow to find out more about these tanks.
Very interesting! I had no clue anyone used heating oil here in Florida.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmaraschino View Post

Did you ever find out about the oil tanks... Looking in the area also and not much information regarding buried oil tanks and the liability...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida