Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 01:16 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
You are trying to argue Florida is the next silicon valley, or hedge fund empire or Central Florida is the land of gainful employment... Frankly I don't know what your point is anymore because you are all over the place.

The wealthy are taking advantage of the state for more reasons than taxes like they always have. Property prices, efficiency of remote work, lack of regulations, little to no worker advocacy, and taxes all play into it. One isnt the end all cause like you and so many try to portray it to be. it to be.
No, that’s not what I’m “trying to argue”.

I was merely replying to the claim that FL is all service oriented jobs with little employment future. That is, factually, false, as more and more companies/firms commit to FL relocation, which is promising for the state. Solely because they’re relocating to Miami/Palm Beach doesn’t mean it should be discounted because the people in those areas are uber wealthy.

Hopefully that clarified a bit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 01:24 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There are a lot of smart high school kids in Florida. Many of them just tend to bail somewhere in the age 21-24 range because if you want a white collar job, the pay is so much better in Dallas or Charlotte or Atlanta than it is in Tampa or Jacksonville.

The inbound under-30 crowd tends to be angling for what can be very high paying service industry jobs- a good bartender can make bank down here- and while a lot of them have very good people skills, that doesn't necessarily translate well into the hedge fund level sorts of finance jobs.
The problem with bartending type jobs is that the shelf life is limited. I don't see very many bartenders over 50. Eventually that lifestyle wears you down. You need a better skill in life than just bartending unless you want to operate the place someday.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:27 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I was merely replying to the claim that FL is all service oriented jobs with little employment future. That is, factually, false, as more and more companies/firms commit to FL relocation, which is promising for the state. Solely because they’re relocating to Miami/Palm Beach doesn’t mean it should be discounted because the people in those areas are uber wealthy.

The other issue is when they don't relocate their employees is that their starting salary here in FL is lower than other states.

West Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami Dade County make up a large chunk of the state's population but also a bulk of the wealth in FL.

A lot of these multimillionaires and billionaires and hedge fund people who move here for no state income tax don't even live here a lot of teh time. They have houses in other places they travel to.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
The other issue is when they don't relocate their employees is that their starting salary here in FL is lower than other states.

West Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami Dade County make up a large chunk of the state's population but also a bulk of the wealth in FL.

A lot of these multimillionaires and billionaires and hedge fund people who move here for no state income tax don't even live here a lot of teh time. They have houses in other places they travel to.
That’s not entirely true. These companies are some of the most lucrative in the world and will pay big for quality work and talent. The small, but massively profitable, hedge fund I know of had ~70% of their workforce relocate with. I can guarantee you not one took a pay cut.

Remember, while FL is cheaper when it comes to taxes, housing in the “big three” southern counties is similar to what you’d find in the northeast in terms of cost. Homeowners insurance rates makes up for the lower property taxes (although in eastern Broward County, property taxes are insane).

Re: living here part time, you’re not wrong, but it was the same where they lived in Connecticut or New York. Work in one state, play in the Hamptons or Nantucket. There is really no difference. Every millionaire and billionaire has multiple homes.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:51 PM

786 posts, read 626,618 times
Quote:

I never claimed Florida is ALL service oriented jobs, you made that leap to inject your narrative into it. The service industry is and remains a dominant presence the state that will not change in the 10 years you are trying to claim.

Miami and Palm Beach have lower working class and poor there too, not every job there is for the uber wealthy, in its fact the majority is low skill service and retail, the workers just do not live there for the most part. Any job no matter how small brings some value, but your line of reasoning that Florida is going to me a Tech and Financial mecca just because of low taxes is ridiculus.

Old 02-05-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I never claimed Florida is ALL service oriented jobs, you made that leap to inject your narrative into it. The service industry is and remains a dominant presence the state that will not change in the 10 years you are trying to claim.

Miami and Palm Beach have lower working class and poor there too, not every job there is for the uber wealthy, in its fact the majority is low skill service and retail, the workers just do not live there for the most part. Any job no matter how small brings some value, but your line of reasoning that Florida is going to me a Tech and Financial mecca just because of low taxes is ridiculus.
I’m not sure why the maniacal tone in your post, but I’ll continue to bite because you’re drawing extreme and sensational conclusions from what I’m noting. The amount of white collar jobs FL is producing is higher than ever: fact. See below:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot...h=158b725f3920

“Florida has also seen a surge of these white-collar jobs, led by Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford. Like Austin, Orlando is blessed with a growing tech sector, which is increasingly congruent with business service growth. The area’s job count in the sector has grown 31.3% since 2012 and 5.1% last year, placing it second on our 2018 list. Also racking up these jobs are No. 11 Tampa-Saint Petersburg-Clearwater, No. 18 Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Clearwater and No. 19 Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall.

Three other Sun Belt players in the top 10 are No. 4 Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin Tenn., No. 8 Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia N.C.-S.C., and No. 9 Raleigh, N.C. Like Orlando and Austin, all three have fast growing tech sectors and strong domestic in-migration. They’re all among the metro areas with the fastest growing populations of millennials, who are the primary source of new workers for these industries.“

This was 2 years ago, and FL has only done better since.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:06 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
No Place is perfect. yes less heat, but the cold will not be pleasant if you have grown up in FL. People are different everywhere.

Look at what is most important and what you are willing to give up. As an example being near family is one of the major desires for people as they grow up. Then any children and how it will effect them. Many parents forget how damaging that can be if it is a move away from family and friends to a totally new location. I have lived all over the Country. My suggestion is to look at the North east part of FL, St John's County as an example. My wife and i did, and while we did not move there, it was for other unrelated reasons and we still have visited over the years. I would never live in So FL for a LOT of the reasons you listed.
I grew up in Florida and left to the Midwest. I don’t mind the cold at all. The summers here are still hot, but mostly great- so it seems like a tossup in that respect. I love having a real spring and fall and actually like snow.

I was last in Ponte Vedra Beach (St. Johns) and LOVED it there, but the job options were not there for me. Still, it is a great place that is worth checking out. It is quite reasonably priced for what you get. The issue will just be finding a job that pays well enough to make it work. It is definitely worth checking out for some place less crowded. St. Augustine is also wonderful.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
The problem with bartending type jobs is that the shelf life is limited. I don't see very many bartenders over 50. Eventually that lifestyle wears you down. You need a better skill in life than just bartending unless you want to operate the place someday.

I think it's really more about your stage in life and current obligations Once you start a family, you have to worry about things like health insurance for children, actually being there for your family, and the cost of after hour daycare completely eliminates any reason to work in that industry.

I've worked with many older bartenders(50 plus) but they all seem to fit the same mold: Single or with another bartender/server, no children or have children old enough to be considered independent, and have all seem to have either no friends at all or have a network of only bartender/server friends.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure why the maniacal tone in your post, but I’ll continue to bite because you’re drawing extreme and sensational conclusions from what I’m noting. The amount of white collar jobs FL is producing is higher than ever: fact. See below:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot...h=158b725f3920

“Florida has also seen a surge of these white-collar jobs, led by Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford. Like Austin, Orlando is blessed with a growing tech sector, which is increasingly congruent with business service growth. The area’s job count in the sector has grown 31.3% since 2012 and 5.1% last year, placing it second on our 2018 list. Also racking up these jobs are No. 11 Tampa-Saint Petersburg-Clearwater, No. 18 Ft. Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Clearwater and No. 19 Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall.

Three other Sun Belt players in the top 10 are No. 4 Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin Tenn., No. 8 Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia N.C.-S.C., and No. 9 Raleigh, N.C. Like Orlando and Austin, all three have fast growing tech sectors and strong domestic in-migration. They’re all among the metro areas with the fastest growing populations of millennials, who are the primary source of new workers for these industries.“

This was 2 years ago, and FL has only done better since.

No tone, just a response to your condescending poorly informed posts.

A healthy economy is reliant a healthy and diverse industry set. If these jobs have been increasing enough to keep up with relocation, than wage inequality would not be a problem.

https://www.floridapolicy.org/posts/...ity-in-the-u-s

So where are all the jobs???

https://www.investopedia.com/article...gdp-growth.asp

9.1 million working in Tourism, then 1.4 in Agriculture. That's around half of the state's population. That's just what's on the books, both industries are notorious for employing and paying under the table.

This just proves my claim that there is far more unskilled low wage workers moving down here because this is the where they can easily find work. You just keep attempting to hijack the conversation and steer it towards your narrative.

Last edited by cfenn006; 02-05-2021 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-05-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
No manical tone, just a response to your condescending poorly informed posts.

A healthy economy is reliant a healthy and diverse industry set. If these jobs have been increasing enough to keep up with relocation, than wage inequality would not be a problem.

https://www.floridapolicy.org/posts/...ity-in-the-u-s

This just proves my claim that there is far more unskilled low wage workers moving down here you just keep attempting to hijack the conversation and steer it towards your narrative.
Actually, this thread is about a resident considering leaving for a myriad of reasons. This thread is not about “unskilled low wage workers”. You may not claim the thread is being hijacked because someone disagrees with you.

Moving on; listen, I can only provide you with factual data that shows there is a rise in white collar industry in the state. You’ve been provided with statistics to show such, and have been made aware of the financial industry’s interest in South Florida - also factual data which can easily be Googled (and is really no surprise in any social circle).

There was not once I stated FL didn’t have low wage jobs. I solely made note of the increasing white collar presence in the state while providing sources. If you choose to discount sources by playing spin and dodge while manipulating words, fine - but expect to be called on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida