Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 03:04 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times

Advertisements

They’re bankers... not their brother’s keepers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 03:42 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
My post 59:

<<[Sanibel] Mayor Kevin Ruane believed Irma would wipe Sanibel from the map. >>

https://www.news-press.com/story/wea...ief/655544001/

I didn't respond to your unsubstantiated post because essentially you keep denying the Census Bureau's 7,500 population of Sanibel, despite a public school, several churches and a large recreation center. BTW, Sanibel's population disproportionately contains more elderly empty nesters, as you surely understand, which explains the rather small percentage of school children.

If anyone wants to believe your ridiculous claims about Sanibel, they aren't worth me wasting any more time explaining your obviously "Big Lie" deceits about the island. Do you really believe a population of 7,500 qualifies as "barely" populated?

See post 73 and previous posts about Miami. Your reading comprehension is pathetic, if you even bother to read other posts carefully.
You really think those "empty nesters" live there year-round? Do you know what a snowbird is? Or is that a new concept to you folks in Ohio?

LOL!!!

Sanibel's dismally low proportion of school-aged populace speaks volumes. You've yet to respond to that.

Recap:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
7,400 people is not a lot.

Didn't "dismiss" census data. I said A LOT of those residents are homeowners who do not live there year round -- hence the very high amount of short-term rental listings on the island.

The PK-8 number is ridiculously low for a town of 7,500, so that definitely does not support your argument.

By contrast, Umatilla, FL, a town of 3,500 students, has triple that amount of students enrolled in PK-5!
https://www.greatschools.org/florida...entary-School/

City of Mount Dora, population ~12,000, has two public elementary schools (well, one K-5 and one PK-7.) Total enrollment between these two is almost 2,000 students. Add in Mount Dora Middle, which has another roughly 800 students in 6-8, and that shoots up that number even more, of students enrolled in PK-8 in a town known as a retirement hub.

These numbers amount to roughly 15-20% of the population in their respective cities.
Sanibel's is 3%. Census data shows only 8% of households having children under 18.
Those numbers speak volumes about the average people "living" there.

Churches are everywhere -- it's the South. Not Ohio.
Of course there will be veterinary clinics. Why wouldn't there be? There are vet clinics everywhere, including at exclusive resorts.
Community Recreation Center? What is the relevance of that? Nearby Southseas Island on Captiva has at least two community recreation centers, including a tennis academy. Are you going to tell me this is proof that a lot of people live there permanently too?

Of course, now you're going to google "Captiva" and look up Southseas, because you've never heard of those places, yet will want to drop a ton of links coupled with insults in an effort to come across as knowledgeable.
Quote:
My post 59:
Do you really believe a population of 7,500 qualifies as "barely" populated?
For an island that was expected to hit 90,000 full-time residents? Yes, absolutely. And a LARGE number of those 7,500 do NOT live there year-round. The island is mainly populated by tourists and seasonal residents. Floridians know this. to you, in Ohio, this may seem a foreign concept.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 04-22-2021 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 04:01 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Sounds like someone moved to Ohio because they believed Sanibel would be underwater by now and is now upset that Sanibel is still standing? I haven’t been following, but that is the general impression being given so far lol.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:07 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Sounds like someone moved to Ohio because they believed Sanibel would be underwater by now and is now upset that Sanibel is still standing? I haven’t been following, but that is the general impression being given so far lol.
Don't know if WR has ever been to Sanibel mel.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:50 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Don't know if WR has ever been to Sanibel mel.
Highly doubt it.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Sometime, I will return to this thread to respond to the barrage of "Big Lie" hokum (e.g., from post 73, Miami
isn't "as big a flood threat as MANY other places now" ) in several recent posts.

I refuse to waste too much time playing "whack-a-prevaricator" with the handful of dedicated climate change deniers who populate this forum.

In the meantime, for Earth Day, those interested in scientific and other expert reality should check out posts 32 and 33 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...lerates-4.html

Shades of Spencer Glendon, here also is an interview with Dan Linblade, President and CEO of the Greater Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce.

<<How will things like sea-level rise and changing weather patterns affect Florida’s economy in the future?

If we do nothing, it will basically shut us down. So that’s the risk. What really got me was when I saw what the insurance estimators and actuarials were looking at for inaction and basically pricing us out of our future.

We couldn’t afford residential real estate because we couldn’t insure it. We couldn’t secure a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage because it wasn’t actuarially sound because there was no mitigation going on.>>

https://www.theinvadingsea.com/2021/...-shut-us-down/
Start with supporting the "Big Lie" of all those places that flood every year with a foot or more of water. Then you can "whack" yourself.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:20 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Default Climate change migration topic on NBC Nightly News

What will be the tipping point -- a Category 5 hurricane wreaking havoc on a heavily populated coastal area? -- when net outward migration from coastal areas and even coastal states becomes the norm?

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...e-110693957661

Old 04-23-2021, 07:22 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Start with supporting the "Big Lie" of all those places that flood every year with a foot or more of water. Then you can "whack" yourself.
Where are your quoted materials, links, etc.? I don't know what you're talking about. Do you? Or are just creating a fake straw man argument?

Old 04-24-2021, 12:40 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You really think those "empty nesters" live there year-round? Do you know what a snowbird is? Or is that a new concept to you folks in Ohio?

LOL!!!

Sanibel's dismally low proportion of school-aged populace speaks volumes. You've yet to respond to that.

Recap:

For an island that was expected to hit 90,000 full-time residents? Yes, absolutely. And a LARGE number of those 7,500 do NOT live there year-round. The island is mainly populated by tourists and seasonal residents. Floridians know this. to you, in Ohio, this may seem a foreign concept.

Sanibel is largely a tourist island and seasonal. Marco Island is more residential.

Most people don't know the demographics.

Here in Southwest FL the demographics are very old. Median age of Collier County is 52 I believe, Lee County is near 50. Sarasota and Charlotte Counties is 55 and Manatee is upper 40s as well.

What do I do wonder though in general is what happens if we get the big one or a season with multiple majors in the same region?

What I mean is one example. Lets say Dorian did what the GFS model showed at one point and hit Miami as a strong cat5 and slowly moved up the spine for days.

Or Irma. Lets say Irma didn't crash over Cuba for a day and it hit Miami as a 175mph storm then went up the spine of FL, or lets say a storm strong like Andrew but the size of Floyd hit Miami, then crossed over the state and turned and made landfall just north of Tampa.

Imagine the total destruction minus any surge flooding. The wind damage from a 180mph large cat5 like Dorian over a large chunk of metro South FL would cripple the Fl job market, economy and tourisim. Especially if it made a second landfall somewhere like Tampa and took that out too.

Not to mention insurance rates would become sky high. Irma nearly could have been that storm had it not crashed into Cuba and lost some of its punch. Same with Dorian. Imagine had Dorian landfalled on Miami and just stalled as a cat5.

THAT is what would be a crippling blow to FL. I think you'd see a mass exit of South FL then unless you're millionaires and can afford the cost. A 180mph storm would leave millions homeless possibly too.

Just a 120 mile difference with Dorian would have done that. Imagine Andrew Homestead damage only on a much much wider scale.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:55 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Where are your quoted materials, links, etc.? I don't know what you're talking about. Do you? Or are just creating a fake straw man argument?
It's not my quoted materials, those are your words from post #74. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Talk about a strawman argument!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida