Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 01:16 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Are Floridians conscious of alligator mating season? Do they change their behavior, such as checking pools carefully before jumping in?

<<Florida Fish and Wildlife urges residents to be vigilant ― for themselves and their pets ― given that alligators live in all 67 counties in the state.

Experts say they could be present anywhere there’s water.

First of all, you need to watch every body of water, your bathtub, your swimming pool, your backyard pond, your mud puddles that your kids play in ― anywhere an alligator can be found right now, because alligators are on the run, especially the smaller ones that are easier to hide,” Gatorland’s Savannah Boan told Click Orlando. “The big bull alligators are pushing all the little ones out because they want all the ladies to themselves.”>>

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/fishe...050447094.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 01:21 PM

1,049 posts, read 960,282 times
I'm not really conscious of gator mating season, don't even know when it is. However, I am mindful of gators when around canals and large ponds or lakes pretty much any time of the year.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:36 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
I'm not really conscious of gator mating season, don't even know when it is. However, I am mindful of gators when around canals and large ponds or lakes pretty much any time of the year.
This. I think all Floridians are, generally. Mating season doesn't really change anything. We are wary and mindful of them at all times. An alligator will attack you if it wants to. I have no interest in trying to figure out how much closer to it I can get due to it not being mating season.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:47 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
We were on the Logan tour on the Myakka River recently (saw a few alligators but not nearly as many as during the winter) and the guide mentioned that during mating season, alligators venture farther from their usual hang outs. I think it's smart to be aware of that even though most Floridians know that every body of water has the potential to have a gator in it, a little extra vigilance can't hurt during times that they are particularly active.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:25 PM

14,936 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post

Same here. I figure it's their natural habitat, they have a right to be there. I always stay a respectful distance away from alligators when I see them, going about doing what alligators do. But I won't live in terror of them either.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:40 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,691,186 times
When they're mating make sure you make some Videos, so that I can show them to my grandkids !!!!

Get a LIFE Dudes !!!!!

Old 05-11-2021, 04:56 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,964,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
When they're mating make sure you make some Videos, so that I can show them to my grandkids !!!!

Get a LIFE Dudes !!!!!
Why so angry? Watch some reruns of guys kicking a ball around a pitch. That will make you feel better.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:14 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Alligators are a part of everyday life in Florida. I see them all the time when out walking the dogs or jogging in my gf’s neighborhood in Pinellas (not so much where I live near downtown Orlando, although I know they are there too.) It behooves anyone who lives and/or moves to Florida to educate themselves as much as possible about these fascinating reptiles, lest they want to be served at the next alligator luncheon.
For the most part, they want NOTHING to do with us — we are too big and too strong to be considered prey. But if one is stupid enough to make oneself an easy meal, then there you have it.
Main thing is, protect your kids and pets.

Also, while gators may venture out during mating season, they are very unlikely to attack anything if they are more than a few meters away from a water source. They kill by disorienting and drowning. Hard to do that on land. And they are known to be lazy. They won’t drag prey some 50 yards back into the water unless starving, which is unlikely to begin with.

Use common sense. This is Florida. Most would be wary of dangerous wildlife in most parts of Africa, or the Amazon. Not much different here.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:54 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Dogs and other animals likely are a much greater threat to humans in Florida than alligators, based on the following article.

<<Florida alligator bite statistics date back to 1948, ranging around three major bites per year. The chance of someone being attacked is one in 3.2 million. The worst years for fatalities were 2001 and 2006, with three people dying each of those years from Florida alligator attacks. And there have only been 23 fatalities between 1948 and 2016. There have even been stretches during which no fatal attacks by alligators occurred in Florida.>>

https://www.enjuris.com/blog/fl/alli...8%20and%202016.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:49 AM

562 posts, read 677,324 times
Since it is their mating season, I would like to know why Alligator's are here? I could not find anything online about the important role Alligator's play in our eco system, except for their skin and meat, but who eats Alligators?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: