Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 09:11 AM

54 posts, read 56,449 times

Advertisements

To my knowledge Florida is pretty mixed up accent wise.
I mean since Florida is a part of the south. You are going to hear southern drawls.
But you also have a lot of what people call “TV reporter accent”. When you watch the news the reporters have clear speaking voices where they pronounce all their words correctly without a drawl or slang or anything attached to it.
A lot of the mid west is know for having that boring accent.
Then you have a mixture of people with north eastern accents, West Indian accents, as well as Spanish too.
So in the state of Florida it depends where you are as to what kind of accent you’ll hear more.
But for the most part it’s going to be southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 10:04 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Missouri is a midwest state, not southern.
Wrong. Only sections. Southeast Missouri is southern, the Ozarks are southern around Branson, southern quarter if the state and even central Missouri is a mix of Midwest and South. Also was admitted to the confederacy just like Kentucky and was a slave state as well. About 25 percent of Missouri is in the south and other 25 percent is a mix of both like southern Indiana.

Places like st. Louis, Kansas city are Midwest. Even up by Columbia you will find hints of southern influence still.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:03 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Also was admitted to the confederacy just like Kentucky and was a slave state as well.
Although both Kentucky and Missouri were slave states; neither was admitted to the Confederacy, and neither seceded from the USA.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:37 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
Can't speak for the rest of Florida, but in NW Florida there really isn't a heavy accent. Way too many people stationed here in the Air Force from all over the country. I lived here from 66 til 1990 and moved to Ohio, my words were definitely southern, "y'all" etc, but my accent was rather neutral. If you hang around listening to people that sound really southern, they most likely weren't raised here, but come from neighboring states. At one point I could pinpoint where a tourist was from - LA, GA, MS and AL, and in some cases what region in that state, northern LA sounds way different from southern LA.

I think the rest of Florida that experiences a flood of people moving there over the past 40-50 years would be the same.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
No...look at any map that divides the country into regions. They don't cut states up. Missouri is Midwest. Don't feel bad, as some also include Kentucky in the Midwest as well.
The census map isn't a map to go by culturally. Has DE in the south and clearly DE is not southern! Even before the civil war the slave population was very low and most were being freed. Also has MD southern and not many areas of MD are southern anymore.

You wont find anywhere in DE or MD as southern as Southeast MO cotton region for example. Also, southern Baptist are the majority religion in MO. They're not in DE and MD.

Old 09-07-2021, 12:49 PM

Delaware and Maryland definitely are not southern!
I have a friend from Baltimore. And he in no way shape or form resembles anything southern.
He has an accent, and his accent doesn’t sound anything remotely southern.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder907 View Post
Delaware and Maryland definitely are not southern!
I have a friend from Baltimore. And he in no way shape or form resembles anything southern.
He has an accent, and his accent doesn’t sound anything remotely southern.
True. Maryland, like Missouri if you went back 90 years ago, both states were more southern than they're today. Same with Virginia. Virginia many parts not southern anymore, but 90 years ago were.

DE was never really southern at all though. Missouri is much more southern today than MD though. MD has seen an influx from the northeast that watered down the culture.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
True. Maryland, like Missouri if you went back 90 years ago, both states were more southern than they're today. Same with Virginia. Virginia many parts not southern anymore, but 90 years ago were.

DE was never really southern at all though. Missouri is much more southern today than MD though. MD has seen an influx from the northeast that watered down the culture.
I’ve been to Virginia, and this true.
Although Virginia is consider the south even till this day.
It really depends where you are.
Like people from VA beach don’t have southern accents and they don’t use southern slang.
Same with Richmond, and Alexandria.

Now I’m sure if you got to rural areas that’s where the southern pride comes out in VA.

DC is another one too.
No one from DC considers themselves from the south or southern.
I think Virginia is the cut off.
Everything DC and north is either the Mid Atlantic or the Northeast.

I’ve met people from St.Louis and they sound southern to me.
Places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and few other spots the people there have accents.
And there’s sound different from those in St. Louis.

Almost like comparing someone from Philly or Jersey
to like Atlanta or Charlotte.
It’s very different.

Old 09-07-2021, 06:50 PM

Side note, ask someone from Baltimore to say “Two” or “Rude”.
That’s one of the quickest ways to pick up a B-More accent lmao!

Old 09-07-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder907 View Post
I’ve been to Virginia, and this true.
Although Virginia is consider the south even till this day.
It really depends where you are.
Like people from VA beach don’t have southern accents and they don’t use southern slang.
Same with Richmond, and Alexandria.

Now I’m sure if you got to rural areas that’s where the southern pride comes out in VA.

DC is another one too.
No one from DC considers themselves from the south or southern.
I think Virginia is the cut off.
Everything DC and north is either the Mid Atlantic or the Northeast.

I’ve met people from St.Louis and they sound southern to me.
Places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, and few other spots the people there have accents.
And there’s sound different from those in St. Louis.

Almost like comparing someone from Philly or Jersey
to like Atlanta or Charlotte.
It’s very different.
St. Louis isn't southern in modern times, just like Baltimore isn't. Both were border cities in the civil war though. Even today I would still consider Stl a border city even though it's midwestern. It's like stuck in this region between the north and the south.

The thing is with St. Louis you just hop on I44 and goes southwest about 25 miles and even then you will notice some southern influences starting. That transition zone that's like southern Indiana starts just south of St. Louis. You only have to go about 70 miles south of St. Louis to be in full on southern. Fredericktown is about 70 miles from St. Louis and it's southern there.

This map sums up the dialect pretty good. Except in far eastern Missouri extend that line about another 15 miles north because the southern half of Cape Girardeau County is southern, especially the rural areas. North of that line in Missouri, closer to US 50 you will still hear some twang as it's within that transition zone.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida