Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 09:24 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
dunno....we've been in the middle and low 90's every day for weeks
That was before dark in Sept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 09:35 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
That place don't have the insane temps and dew points and no rain like we do.
Hawaii is the most expensive state to live in overall, while FLA's near the midpoint overall.

For a person accustomed to Hawaii prices, to be constantly complaining about the costs of living in FLA, makes me suspicious that there's more to the story, that is not being disclosed.

I'm not taking these constant attacks on the great state of Florida, at face value. I'm not that naive.

I'd be calling the State regulators to inform them, & get answers on how TECO's being allowed to increase rates so much. I'd also get an energy audit, which TECO does for free, and I've heard they can be very productive, if you follow through w/ their suggestions. I'd be taking action.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:41 AM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
That was before dark in Sept.
it will be close to that here too....not a lot of difference....we usually get our first cool front first to middle of Nov....that breaks it for a little while

ocean controls our temp....and it's 90F on the surface right now

Old 08-06-2023, 10:19 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
I recall just last year it got cooler in late September right after Ian hit. As though Ian had sucked all the hot air and humidity out of the air and dragged it along as the storm made its way northeast. IIRC the temps went into the low 60s or so at night, and into the high 70's or low 80's with much lower humidity during the day. That was much appreciated especially with no power, and for cleaning up the mess outside. Also appreciated the dry spell since so many roofs were compromised.

I was surprised that it got cooler that way in September, I associated the cooler weather with later dates too, around mid Octobee or so. I look for temperature lows here to go into the 60's at night here as a sign of the coolee weather.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:24 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
When I lived in Orlando, if I didn't keep the central air conditioner on high, ants would start to come in from the windows, so I was forced to keep the house cooler than I wanted and pay more for electricity. It sounds like Florida homeowners are being priced out of the market on several fronts, it's disgusting.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:59 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
When I lived in Orlando, if I didn't keep the central air conditioner on high, ants would start to come in from the windows, so I was forced to keep the house cooler than I wanted and pay more for electricity. It sounds like Florida homeowners are being priced out of the market on several fronts, it's disgusting.
There IS such a thing as pest control. Or working on other ways to keep the ants out. Turning down the AC to a set point you think will keep out the ants is a very inefficient, ineffective, and as you discovered, expensive method of pest control.

I've no doubt there are people who are having to deal with very high electric bills, prohibitively expensive homeowner's insurance, and all the vicissitudes trumpeted by the news media in high drama for the entertainment and titillation of their gullible followers. But it's impossible ( for anyone with a modicum of reasoning ability, that is) not to note the cherry picking by the media for those juicy, heart-rending stories with no consideration, or mention of contributing circumstances, including decisions made by the players in those stories, that put them in these circumstances. Or that some of these people, who indeed are having a rough time, are acting, with available help, to improve their situations. That these people can make choices to get out of these situations in one way or another. Many of us have been there at one time or another in our lives ( and not necessarily in Florida).

No, the news media, as well as certain FL = evil naysayers would have you ( the general you) draw the conclusions that the conditions they dramatically tout in these stories are widespread, more the norm among the population than anything else, that FL is nothing more than the cesspool they have conjured up in their fevered imaginations.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:21 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Just checked and there is a sub forum in Florida and its name is “Tampa Bay” But back to the generalization of Florida; in Pensacola, electrical rates are 16% below the national average and the monthly electricity bills are approaching $300.

https://utilitieslocal.com/states/florida/pensacola/

Nothing like the greater Tampa area that may be approaching $500 due to lack of foil reflective material in outdated roofs or too low of insulation due to reduced maintenance in some homes and apartments.

There are actual Floridians that pay under $200 for electricity but they live in a modern efficiency with a smaller overall square footage home. When the average electric bill in Pensacola is around $300, half the homeowners have bills lower than the average while the other half have electric bills above the average.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:24 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post

Florida is the 22nd highest cost-of-living out of 50 states & DC....near the middle...at 102.3% of average:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...index-by-state

Florida has some of the lowest electric rates in America:

https://www.thecentersquare.com/flor...bb518f5e2.html

Millions have moved to Florida to escape the higher cost if living found in 21 other states....some a LOT higher.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:30 AM

5,742 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Florida residents: "Wow, my electric bills are SO high!"

California residents: "Hold my beer while I open this month's bill!"
So true.

I live in San Diego, which has the dubious honor of having the highest electric rates in the country at $.55 cents per kWh.

My electric bills were $400 per month in winter, and in summer if we used the AC, they would reach $1000.

I've since put solar panels on my roof, they make all the power I need.

Is solar power not a thing in FL?

Old 08-06-2023, 11:31 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
it will be close to that here too....not a lot of difference....we usually get our first cool front first to middle of Nov....that breaks it for a little while

ocean controls our temp....and it's 90F on the surface right now
Our jobs were inalnd and the hotel was on the beach. I remember showing some old woman the stars at nite. They were there everynite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida