Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 10:50 AM

21 posts, read 11,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Good luck and safe travels! I hope you enjoy our wonderful state. You’re visiting at a great time of year and if you decide to drive to some of the northern parts, you’ll have a chance to experience the cooler climate and see whether or not it’s too cold for you and your family.

I suspect you’ll find a city or area that is the right fit. Please report back when you get home!
This will be our journey next week. We will land in Orlando, drive up to:

Drive up to:
1. Jacksonville then head back down and west to
2. Auburndale
3. Lakeland
4. Tampa
5. St. Petersburg
6. Cape Coral

Leave Cape Coral and head east to
7. Coral Gables
8. West Miramar
9. Pembroke Pines
10. Davie
11. Sunrise
12. Lauderdale lakes
13. Oakland Park
14. Pompano Beach
15. Boynton Beach
16. Riviera Beach
17. Port St. Lucie

Finishing up in Port St. Lucie... then fly back out of Orlando.

Thank you...our date has been expedited to February 1st so hopefully something stands out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 07:39 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
There are some nice places in Miami, it's not all trashed like C-D members think and complain about. Look at Kendall, Pinecrest, Cutler Bay, South Miami, Palmetto Bay - basically SW Miami areas. You might want to put these areas on your list when visiting Coral Gables.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:48 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadanique View Post

Drive up to:
2. Auburndale
3. Lakeland
4. Tampa
5. St. Petersburg
6. Cape Coral

7. Coral Gables
8. West Miramar
9. Pembroke Pines
10. Davie
11. Sunrise
12. Lauderdale lakes
13. Oakland Park
14. Pompano Beach
15. Boynton Beach
16. Riviera Beach
17. Port St. Lucie

Thank you...our date has been expedited to February 1st so hopefully something stands out.
To be honest, I don’t think Auburndale and Cape Coral are worth visiting. Both are poor fits and Cape Coral is way out of the way. If there’s a city in SW Florida that’s worth a detour, it’s Sarasota… I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on the other cities, particularly St. Petersburg.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 12-13-2023, 08:15 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
To be honest, I don’t think Auburndale and Cape Coral are worth visiting. Both are poor fits and Cape Coral is way out of the way. If there’s a city in SW Florida that’s worth a detour, it’s Sarasota… I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts on the other cities, particularly St. Petersburg.

Enjoy your trip!
Auburndale is very small, and so close to Lakeland they may as well pass through, although I agree I don't think they will find anything worthwhile there. I also agree I would put Sarasota MILES ahead of Cape Coral, which (to me) is not that interesting. As you know, we live in Lakeland, and I definitely think (since it is on their list) that they may find it appealing.

Anyhoo, sounds like they have lots to check out!

Old 12-13-2023, 08:24 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Auburndale is very small, and so close to Lakeland they may as well pass through, although I agree I don't think they will find anything worthwhile there. I also agree I would put Sarasota MILES ahead of Cape Coral, which (to me) is not that interesting. As you know, we live in Lakeland, and I definitely think (since it is on their list) that they may find it appealing.

Anyhoo, sounds like they have lots to check out!
I maintain Lakeland is perhaps the best value city in Florida. I doubt it will be the best fit for the OP, but when you weigh what you get for your money there it’s easy to see the appeal. A good home in Lakeland may cost half of one in Coral Gables.

Old 12-14-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I maintain Lakeland is perhaps the best value city in Florida. I doubt it will be the best fit for the OP, but when you weigh what you get for your money there it’s easy to see the appeal. A good home in Lakeland may cost half of one in Coral Gables.
There is great value in the real estate here. I was just talking to my husband about it. There was an article in the Tampa Bay times talking about a few of the "million dollar homes" for sale here, and believe me you get your million $$$ worth here. These homes would be two to three times the price in Sarasota or Coral Gables, etc. But there are many, many beautiful neighborhoods here where you can get a really, really nice home for way less than that (400-500K) and still many that are only in the $300s. And Lakeland has some of the best parks and recreation I have seen in ANY city in Florida. I always remark that kids don't know how good they have it here, it is truly one of the best and most family friendly towns I have seen in Florida. Fabulous places and things for kids here that I have seen nowhere else. (Bonnet Springs Park is an INCREDIBLE gem!) People make day trips here just to visit that park.

But as you said, this may not be what OP is looking for, but definitely worth checking out.

ETA: OP you may find this article interesting: Lakeland ranks 7th best city in the nation for black professionals according to this study, there is both positive and negative from the black point of view)

https://www.lkldnow.com/study-ranks-...professionals/

Last edited by gypsychic; 12-14-2023 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-19-2023, 07:04 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
Olive Branch, Mississippi is 32% Black. From the data I have seen, the median household income for Blacks and Whites is virtually identical and the neighborhoods are fully integrated. Median household income is $93,000.

It's not near coast obviously, being just across the state line from Memphis, but the quality of life is high, as it is for all of DeSoto County, Mississippi (very safe, well-managed suburbs with reasonable housing costs, large spacious lots, top schools, robust and well-planned but not overwhelming growth, moderate traffic, and a bright future).

Old 12-20-2023, 04:55 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:

Drive up to:
2. Auburndale
3. Lakeland
4. Tampa
5. St. Petersburg
6. Cape Coral

7. Coral Gables
8. West Miramar
9. Pembroke Pines
10. Davie
11. Sunrise
12. Lauderdale lakes
13. Oakland Park
14. Pompano Beach
15. Boynton Beach
16. Riviera Beach
17. Port St. Lucie

You can skip right over Lakeland or anywhere in Polk County. That's where they have that racist sheriff that likes to make national news with his comments. Florida, one of the few places where someone in the govt. can publicly refer to black people as "cotton picking" and remain employed. Something that would certainly never be tolerated in the DMV.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/20...otton-picking/

Old 12-20-2023, 05:57 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
Julio, I really didn't feel like unpacking all that was needed to address his comment and/or concern. I am not really even looking to live around mostly black people, simply put, I would like there to be "some" where my kid isn't the only one and teachers are not accustomed to teaching kids from our culture, us being the only ones in the grocery stores, movies, mall, park, etc...
Definitely the eastern part of the state will have the most black folks but all black folks aren't the same. You have more traditional southern people in Jacksonville, transplants in Central Florida and Caribbean diaspora in South Florida. I like Central Florida, we have everything here. All kinds of shades with some curl in their hair. It's also more middle class with plenty to do. I'm curious to hear your experience after your trip.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
You can skip right over Lakeland or anywhere in Polk County. That's where they have that racist sheriff that likes to make national news with his comments. Florida, one of the few places where someone in the govt. can publicly refer to black people as "cotton picking" and remain employed. Something that would certainly never be tolerated in the DMV.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/20...otton-picking/
OMG you are so full of it.....You don't know squat and this is pure BS!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida