Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

82 posts, read 167,336 times

Advertisements

My husband and I going to have an empty nest this summer. We currently live in Jacksonville, Fl beaches. Looking to move south and stay on eastern coast. We are middle class. What are your opinions of the best cities to research? Why do you enjoy about your community?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,017 times
IMO Miami, but if you can be more specific, on what you want I.e retirement community, city, rural, etc.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Check out Indialantic and Melbourne Beach which have an "Old Florida" feel (minus the over-development), yet still have plenty to do in terms of restaurants/shopping and other activities. They also have a minimal flux of beach-goers from inland invading on the weekends, as some of the mid-coast beach towns seem to have issues with (Cocoa Beach and New Smyrna Beach for example) and very few tourists.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Whats wrong with where you are at in Jacksonville.?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:39 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
Vero Beach ! Not too big a town and not too small. Beaches are beautiful, no highrise developments allowed, free parking at beach parks. Easy navigation of the streets (a sensible grid system). No tacky tourist shops. We do get the snowbirds in winter, but overall the town has a nice "old Florida" feel. Lots of retirees here (including us!).

Old 02-05-2014, 06:42 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Vero Beach ! Not too big a town and not too small. Beaches are beautiful, no highrise developments allowed, free parking at beach parks. Easy navigation of the streets (a sensible grid system). No tacky tourist shops. We do get the snowbirds in winter, but overall the town has a nice "old Florida" feel. Lots of retirees here (including us!).
One of the first that came to my mind as well. I'd also consider New Smyrna Beach and Delray Beach.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Stuart, FL. Close to Jupiter/Palm Beach area. Great beaches on Hutchinson Island too.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Indialantic and Melbourne Beach which have an "Old Florida" feel (minus the over-development), yet still have plenty to do in terms of restaurants/shopping and other activities. They also have a minimal flux of beach-goers from inland invading on the weekends, as some of the mid-coast beach towns seem to have issues with (Cocoa Beach and New Smyrna Beach for example) and very few tourists.
Agreed. The beaches at Melbourne are nice and clean with just a moderate amount of tourists. I'd even take Cocoa beach over something like Daytona Beach which is IMO more trashy and less "nice". Plus Orlando isn't that far away when you need the bigger city stuff. Viera has plenty of shopping as well, 20 mins away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Vero does feel more retiree IMO while Melbourne feels a bit younger. Also, Vero lacks a "Viera" in terms of shopping and restaurants but it does have the outlets. I find Downtown melbourne to be a bit more happening than the downtown Vero.

I guess it all depends on what the OP is looking for.

Last edited by chopchop0; 02-05-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 08:13 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
Best is subjective. Need more info on what you're looking for...

For me it would be Ft. Liquordale or Miami Beach.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:56 PM

82 posts, read 167,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have come across Indialantic and Melbourne Beach in my searches. I like your comment about it being the "Old Florida" feel,and well, all of your comments. The thoughts of "minus over-development" although other activities available sounds terrific.

We currently live in Ponte Vedra Beach. We chose this location because of the great school systems in St. Johns County, and also due to husband working in Jax. We have lived in one county for all of our lives (we are 46), until moving here 2 and a half years ago. We want to experience new things before we get to much older.

Being next to Jax Beach, we have seen what the summer tourists and inland beach-goers can do to the atmosphere. I don't mind crowds, but they tend to get a little out of hand, at times. There is a huge draw here for the younger crowds and a lot of them haven't learned to control their attitudes while drinking. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy kids of all ages. Just not the 'drunk' ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida