Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,201 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! Would someone please explain what redtide is?? I have seen it mentioned here and there on the forum and I am curious? I have never heard of it?

Thanks,
Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 03:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Hello everyone! Would someone please explain what redtide is?? I have seen it mentioned here and there on the forum and I am curious? I have never heard of it?

Thanks,
Jen
"Red Tide" is a common name for a phenomenon known as an algal bloom, an event in which estuarine, marine, or fresh water algae accumulate rapidly in the water column, or "bloom". These algae, more correctly termed phytoplankton, are microscopic, single-celled protists, plant-like organisms that can form dense, visible patches near the water's surface. Certain species of phytoplankton contain photosynthetic pigments that vary in color from green to brown to red, and when the algae are present in high concentrations, the water appears to be discolored or murky, varying in color from white to almost black, normally being red or brown. Not all algal blooms are dense enough to cause water discoloration, and not all discolored waters associated with algal blooms are red. Additionally, red tides are not typically associated with tidal movement of water, hence the preference among scientists to use the term algal bloom.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:17 PM

Oh o.k.! Can it make people ill? I have read some posts on here about that?

Jen

Old 05-23-2007, 03:21 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:

Jen
Frequently Asked Questions About
Florida Red Tide and Their Toxins
Q: What is Florida Red Tide?
A: In Florida, red tide is caused by microscopic algae (plant-like microorganism) called
Karenia brevis or K. brevis. The organism produces a toxin that can affect the central
nervous system of fish, birds, mammals and other animals.
Q: Is Florida Red Tide, Red?
A: At high concentrations (called blooms), the organisms may discolor the water –
sometimes red, light or dark green brown or clear.
Q: Where does Florida Red Tide occur?
A: Red tides or Harmful Algal Blooms occur worldwide. K. brevis is found almost
exclusively in the Gulf of Mexico but has been found on the east coast of Florida
and off the coast of North Carolina.
Q: How long does it last?
A: Red tide blooms can last days, weeks or months and can also change daily due to
wind conditions. Onshore winds normally bring it near the shore and offshore winds
drive it out to sea.
Q: What causes Florida Red Tide?
A. A red tide bloom needs biology (the organisms), chemistry (natural or man-made
nutrients for growth), and physics (concentrating and transport mechanisms). No one
factor causes it. Tests are being conducted to see if coastal nutrients enhance or
prolong blooms.
Q: Can I swim in water affected by Florida Red Tide?
A: Most people can swim in red tide but it can cause skin irritation and burning eyes. If
your skin is easily irritated, avoid red tide water. If you experience irritation, get out
and thoroughly wash off with fresh water. Swimming near dead fish is not
recommended.
Q: What are the symptoms I can get from Florida Red Tide?
A: Symptoms from breathing red tide toxins are normally coughing, sneezing and teary
eyes. These are usually temporary when red tide toxins are in the air. Wearing a
particle filter mask may lessen the affects, and using over-the-counter antihistamines
may decrease your symptoms. Check the marine forecast. Fewer toxins are in the air
when the wind is blowing offshore.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Thank you Sunrico!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:05 PM

31 posts, read 142,005 times
OK silly question, is "Florida Red Tide" any different than say the Red Tides we get up here in Maine? It seems to be the same exact thing? I've just never heard it called the "states name" Red Tide before. Just curious.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:22 PM

523 posts, read 2,829,881 times
When we get red tide, you cannot breathe outdoors without coughing, better to stay indoors. Enjoy the view of beach , but stay indoors.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:28 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,369 times
I recall experiencing a few red tides while on the West coast of Florida. I've never seen one on the East coast.

First, it does cause alergic reactions in many (not all) people. I experienced a lot of sneezing and itchy eyes during one red tide, but not during others.

Second, the next thing you will notice during a bad red tide is large amounts of dead fish and other sea animals washed up on shore and floating in the water. This is really nasty. The smell is overwhelming! Also, it attracts swarms of flys during the summer.

Basically, you don't want to be anywher near the beach during a bad red tide.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:42 AM

45 posts, read 305,450 times
Quote:

Jen
I'll keep it simple. It killed my Mother in only 3 months of breathing the Red Tide Karenia brevis, or K. brevis. Do some research on it, you'll find alot of info . A good place to start is www.redtidealert.com
Its a very touchy subject in the SW Florida area.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:17 AM

Hi sickfromredtide, yes its you who I was thinking about! How horrible! I am so sorry!

Jen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida