Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:22 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

Florida Republicans get behind McCain's offshore drilling proposal - St. Petersburg Times

one thing they often gloss over

it would take yrs, maybe a decade or more, before any oil would come from these new rigs

in addition, they think there is only a few yrs worth of oil

so, is it really worth it?

State: Is this in Florida's future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 AM

100 posts, read 363,125 times
I think the real problem with oil prices is speculators in the market. i read a story just the other day that said that speculators can account for as much as $2 per gallon of gas. Get Speculators out of the oil market and prices should come down to more reasonable levels.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 AM

100 posts, read 363,125 times
I must also add that I don't trust anything a republican says anymore. I remember back in 2000 when Rush Limbaugh and other republicans said that having two oil men (bush/cheney) in the white house would help keep oil prices low because they knew how the oil business works and that would help keep prices low. And I fell for it hook line and sinker. Worst vote I ever cast was for Bush in 2000

Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 AM

58 posts, read 212,430 times
Thumbs up Offshore Drilling

Yes to offshore drilling. China is presently drilling 60 miles off the shores of Florida. Would you like to buy oil from them along with everything else we buy from China? You think there won't be more Chinese drill rigs?

I believe we should drill anywhere else we can in this country to become less dependent on foreign oil but...at the same time pursue alternative fuels, solar, wind whatever we have to do to become independent again. I do agree about speculators running the price up.

You will not see the offshore rigs since controls are tighter as to how close they can drill. They will be miles and miles off shore, possibly 50 to 100 miles and will not ruin our views.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:14 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaandOhio View Post
I think the real problem with oil prices is speculators in the market. i read a story just the other day that said that speculators can account for as much as $2 per gallon of gas. Get Speculators out of the oil market and prices should come down to more reasonable levels.
Speculation is a symptom of a broader problem just as much as it's a problem in itself. I say try as hard as we can to increase production (or at least keep it flat) while we work on a solution to the future oil crash before it's too late. If that means pumping oil off the coast of Florida, go for it.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 AM

810 posts, read 3,305,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaandOhio View Post
I must also add that I don't trust anything a republican says anymore. I remember back in 2000 when Rush Limbaugh and other republicans said that having two oil men (bush/cheney) in the white house would help keep oil prices low because they knew how the oil business works and that would help keep prices low. And I fell for it hook line and sinker. Worst vote I ever cast was for Bush in 2000
It's supply and demand. Can you explain why people in countires like India and China are buying cars? The standard of living has been raised in those countries when companies moved jobs overseas. In the last 5 years, China built over 40,000 miles of highways. Also, those countries are building more oil refineries.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:16 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
one thing i read about some of the speculators

some of the contracts they are buying in selling are for yrs/decades in the future.

they are betting that in 2015, oil will actually cost 140

and it doesnt matter to anyone that there is not that much oil out there, the risks are high, and we wouldnt even get any benefit from it for years?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Florida Republicans get behind McCain's offshore drilling proposal - St. Petersburg Times

one thing they often gloss over

it would take yrs, maybe a decade or more, before any oil would come from these new rigs

in addition, they think there is only a few yrs worth of oil

so, is it really worth it?

State: Is this in Florida's future?

We need ALTERNATE forms of energy. Florida could certainly use solar power. I have heard about using recycled oil from restaurants. Back in the 70s, they floated the idea of using manure. That might not be pleasing to the nose, but it certainly will never, um, run out of supply.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:44 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman10 View Post
Yes to offshore drilling. China is presently drilling 60 miles off the shores of Florida. Would you like to buy oil from them along with everything else we buy from China? You think there won't be more Chinese drill rigs?

I believe we should drill anywhere else we can in this country to become less dependent on foreign oil but...at the same time pursue alternative fuels, solar, wind whatever we have to do to become independent again. I do agree about speculators running the price up.

You will not see the offshore rigs since controls are tighter as to how close they can drill. They will be miles and miles off shore, possibly 50 to 100 miles and will not ruin our views.
Rocketman, Do you read the news?
Vice President Dick Cheney recently acknowledged he was "mistaken" about his assertion that China is drilling for oil 60 miles from the Florida coast. Apparently, Cheney's source for this intelligence was columnist George Will.

Is this the best we can expect from someone who is second in command? Does this administration get their intelligence from columnists?

The facts should have been verified before Cheney made such an announcement. The American people are currently facing an economical hardship due to the cost of oil. Enraging American citizens with erroneous statements such as this is highly irresponsible!

I think the oil companies are in a big hurry to get the OK to drill on your coasts before this Administration is over. By the way, check out the number ot oil rigs US companies lease out to the Persian Gulf. If you want something to get you angry, that ought to do it.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Will this benefit the Florida economy?

Housing Market:

Employment:

Creation or relocation of new business:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida