Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:54 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

Oil production is not the problem, We have a lack of refineries. I think If I remember correctly, I read that the last Oil refinery was built before 1976.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia...

Refineries pre-dating the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) were not subject to any environmental protection regulations. Today, national and state legislation requires refineries to meet stringent air and water cleanliness standards. In fact, obtaining a permit to build even a modern refinery with minimal impact on the environment (other than CO2 emissions) is so difficult and costly that no new refineries have been built (though many have been expanded) in the United States since 1976. As a result, some believe that this may be the reason that the US is becoming more and more dependent on the imports of finished gasoline, as opposed to incremental crude oil. On the other hand, studies have revealed that accelerating merger activity in the refining and production sector has reduced capacity further, resulting in tighter markets in the United States in particular.

Oil refinery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 07:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Hard to keep our oil supply up when US companies lease their oil rigs to the Persian Gulf.

Oil rigs stage exodus from Gulf of Mexico

This is after the energy committe, chaired by Cheney, gave them huge tax subsidies with the agreement that the oil companies would use them to decrease our dependence on foreign oil. The oil companies found that they could make more money by leasing their oil rigs to the Persian Gulf rather than drill themselves. This was after the oil companies were allowed to depreciate their rigs to $0 for tax purposes.

Offshore drilling will "pad" the oil companys' pockets and you all will be left with a ruined coast. First big hurricane and you can kiss tourism goodbye.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
Oil production is not the problem, We have a lack of refineries. I think If I remember correctly, I read that the last Oil refinery was built before 1976.

Wikipedia articles can be written by any biased person who can say whatever they want to. One key phrase from the article: "some may believe". Don't get me wrong, we are all biased, which is why I wouldn't look to wikipedia for cold hard facts on such a controversial topic. The refinery capacity also has absolutely nothing to do with rising crude oil prices although yes it might play a significant role in gasoline prices. Unfortunately, we do way more with oil than refine it into gasoline. Light sweet crude oil prices have doubled. It's in everything from hand lotion to agricultural pesticides and absolutely essential for many reasons other than our cars. Also, if we had enough oil to boost the production levels up to what we need in the next 20 years, believe me, the oil companies would find the money to build refineries, eco obstacles and all.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:25 PM

179 posts, read 1,209,158 times
Saw this on the national news tonight....i really hope it is not passed. a spill could ruin Florida's beaches

Old 06-18-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Wikipedia articles can be written by any biased person who can say whatever they want to. One key phrase from the article: "some may believe". Don't get me wrong, we are all biased, which is why I wouldn't look to wikipedia for cold hard facts on such a controversial topic. The refinery capacity also has absolutely nothing to do with rising crude oil prices although yes it might play a significant role in gasoline prices. Unfortunately, we do way more with oil than refine it into gasoline. Light sweet crude oil prices have doubled. It's in everything from hand lotion to agricultural pesticides and absolutely essential for many reasons other than our cars. Also, if we had enough oil to boost the production levels up to what we need in the next 20 years, believe me, the oil companies would find the money to build refineries, eco obstacles and all.
I heard an interview on TV a few weeks ago where someone overseas said that they had no idea why the U.S.'s gas prices are so high that we've increased our prices a ton while other countries have not.

Some have said that there is an oil crisis that some are saying oil is scarce right now which I've heard is untrue. One company ( I forget the name ) said they could increase their production by over a billion barrels a day but they have no need to because demand isn't calling for it.

That leads me to believe that our government is causing false fear for an oil shortage when the realities are that we have excess oil we just don't have the facilities to refine the crude.

I'm not a conspiracy guy but I honestly feel the government is doing this on purpose.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
Saw this on the national news tonight....i really hope it is not passed. a spill could ruin Florida's beaches
If you've ever been to Galveston, TX you know that it doesn't take a spill to ruin the beaches. Galveston has cleaned up ALOT but to this day you can still see the effects of oil in the water, on the rocks, and on the beaches.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:13 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyRyder View Post
I feel that Florida is already ruined. All a spill would do is blacken the condo-filled beaches that are already stripped of life. Only the rich have homes on the coast today, so if they get oil on the sand, who cares. The chance of a spill is remote, though. Why worry, they will never allow oil drilling along the coast.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,615,423 times
Definite plus for Florida, jobs, jobs and more jobs.

And no it wont take years to get the oil and there is enough oil in the basin to last us for many years.

So, yes, well worth it until we can finally get something going with alternatives which we voters should be demanding.

The dems in congress today want to nationalize all oil refineries, otherwords control them. In that case, I say no.

Floridas economy would be helped so much. People coming into Florida for the jobs and spending lots of money. Not counting the construction type jobs etc.

Drill as fast as we can.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 AM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Definite plus for Florida, jobs, jobs and more jobs.

And no it wont take years to get the oil and there is enough oil in the basin to last us for many years.

So, yes, well worth it until we can finally get something going with alternatives which we voters should be demanding.

The dems in congress today want to nationalize all oil refineries, otherwords control them. In that case, I say no.

Floridas economy would be helped so much. People coming into Florida for the jobs and spending lots of money. Not counting the construction type jobs etc.

Drill as fast as we can.
Maybe 200-250 people work on one oil platform. Though figures would vary, it would not be in the tens of thousands. Therefore, it would not even make a tiny dent in the Florida unemployment situation.

Highly specialized construction would be done by companies who are in the business of building these oil platforms. Where do you think these specialized workers will come from? Texas, Louisiana, and Alaska. Again, would not even make a tiny dent in the Florida unemployment situation.

Your suggestion that it would improve the Florida economy so much is, IMHO, highly exaggerated.

Quick fixes, like drilling for oil in the Gulf, without thinking of the long term ramifications is a recipe for disaster.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
According to the Energy Information Administration, new drilling today would not have an impact on prices til 2030.

they believe there are 18billion barrels where they want to drill

the US uses about 9 billion a yr

so, not much of an impact.

we are far better off pushing for improvements in battery technology and going electric!

Will More Drilling Mean Cheaper Gas? - TIME

Last edited by crystalblue; 06-19-2008 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida