Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:38 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,817 times

Advertisements

Again, thanks to both of you for the "no guarantees" reality check. I know it might be a tough road ahead, but hopefully with rewarding results. I'll take a "prepare for the worst and expect the best" approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,705 times
You're welcome! Even though you will probably have to jump through some hurdles and face some heartbreaks, eventually you will get your forever child.

I am a teacher too, kindergarten and DH also works for the school district. What do you teach?

Nancy

Old 07-12-2008, 09:52 PM

89 posts, read 293,950 times
I adopted an 8 year old girl from the state of Florida three years ago. I completed the MAPP classes, background check, homestudy, etc. Originally I wanted a baby girl, but then decided that I would like a child that was already in school so I can continue working. I looked online at photos for a year. Which became very frustrating. You need someone that will put you in the right direction. That is when I found out about a group home in Sunrise, Florida called JAFCO. That stands for Jewish Adoption and Foster Care. You don't have to be Jewish to adopt from here. I would check it out. They treat their kids great, they have a therapist on staff and they will not adopt out until they think their kids are completely ready. All the kids live in beautiful group homes with House Parents. The kids call them Aunt...and they get a lot of love. All of this is from donations from fund raisers. Tutors, gifts for Hanukah, birthday, bat/bar mitzvah, camp and the list goes on. There are some kids that don't even want to leave because they love it there so much. They have events for the kids every years. We have been going to their Hanukah Party where they have magicians, pizza, snow for the kids with hats and gloves and other activites and at the end of the nigth they give each child a DVD and a gift certificate to target for $50.00, including my son. My son is biological from a previous marriage and it took a lot of time for him to accept my daughter being that he was a only child for ten years, but now they are typical brother and sister. It's funny, she even looks like us. Look up JAFCO on the web and you can read about their organization. The person to contact is Sarah Franco. They have some really great kids there, all ages, babies to teenagers. Just let me say, it hasn't been easy, but if I had to do it again, I would. I cannot picture my life without my daughter. Good luck and if you have question, please contact me. Robin

Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
Retiredcoach - We have started with AdoptUSKids.com and are going over their paperwork. We'd be happy to take a biracial/black child, a child with mild medical problem or learning disability, and a sibling group if they let us. Those are the things going in our favor, although our house is so small, I don't know if they'd allow us to adopt more than one child. On the other hand, I realize the age range we're looking for and the "no emotional/behavioral/mental health issues" thing could make things difficult. Thanks for the reality check.

Bioadoptmom3 - I did not know about the foster license or swim test, but this doesn't sound so hard. We are teachers so we already have our background checks & fingerprints done. I appreciate all the great info!

You both have been very helpful. Thanks for everything.
If you have not had your clearances done within the past year (fingerprint check/ child abuse clearances), you will need to have them done again... even though you are a teacher.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:35 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,817 times
Bioadoptmom3 - My dh is also a teacher. I'll DM you with more info.

jorobda - I had never heard of JAFCO. It sounds like a wonderful place. I wish all foster children could have that experience. We're not Jewish but will look into that organization.

Retiredcoach - Guess we'll have to get those fingerprints & clearances after all.

Thanks for all the FL adoption info, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: