Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
True, but why does it have to be Wal-Mart? I can't speak to Home Depot's employment practices...but if you can log onto a computer, type the message above, etc., you CAN do better than Wal-Mart - and they are notorious for treating their employees like crap.

It's a tough market out there but if I were you I would look for something in an office/small business first. At least then you may have some potentional for increasing your income/promotion, and gain experience and marketable skills, which is not going to happen in retail. There's not really anywhere to move up at Wal-Mart.

Just sayin! Been there, done that....
I agree WalMart takes advantage of their employees. When I was a SAHM, I worked there as a PT cashier. I'd rather not elaborate on my experience, just please believe me when I say look elsewhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmlavallee View Post
WOW talk about getting off track...here's the deal...I have just finished up working for a home oxygen company making very good money but hating my job every day because of m y coworker. That's not to say I wouldn't want to do the same job for a different company but that's not decided yet. The reason I asked about the min wage jobs (Walmart & Home Depot were just examples I could have just as easily said Target or Lowes...not the point) is because I won't be able to line up a job before I move but my husband will. I want to be sure I can contribute at least a couple hundred bucks a week to our budget until I get what some of you would consider a "Real Job." Then my min wage job would turn in to my part time job for money to put in savings. I don't know why I felt the need to explain myself but I thought a couple of you were very rude. What if I had a learning or medical disability where I wasn't capable of being more then a cashier or greeter. That is in no way meant to be durogatory. Some of you propably don't realize how difficult those jobs are. I do because I have always worked retail at least part time. Some of you should really think before you post. Thanks for letting me vent!
Retail is an excellent employment avenue when relocating. That's exactly what my husband did when we moved here. He took a retail mgmt position and continued looking for an outside sales rep job. Eventually, he found what he really wanted.

Retail IS a real job despite what some folks might think. Without retail personnel, everyone would be standing in line FOREVER in those stinking "fast lanes."

Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,890,912 times
Quote:
WOW talk about getting off track...here's the deal...I have just finished up working for a home oxygen company making very good money but hating my job every day because of m y coworker. That's not to say I wouldn't want to do the same job for a different company but that's not decided yet. The reason I asked about the min wage jobs (Walmart & Home Depot were just examples I could have just as easily said Target or Lowes...not the point) is because I won't be able to line up a job before I move but my husband will. I want to be sure I can contribute at least a couple hundred bucks a week to our budget until I get what some of you would consider a "Real Job." Then my min wage job would turn in to my part time job for money to put in savings. I don't know why I felt the need to explain myself but I thought a couple of you were very rude. What if I had a learning or medical disability where I wasn't capable of being more then a cashier or greeter. That is in no way meant to be durogatory. Some of you propably don't realize how difficult those jobs are. I do because I have always worked retail at least part time. Some of you should really think before you post. Thanks for letting me vent!
I agree with you completely. You asked about a specific type of job and could have gotten the answer without all the remarks.

I've done those jobs, grocery store included. I've even owned a retail store and employed people in those jobs. Like I've said before people act like the retail stuff is going to magically find it's way into their homes without human intervention. Your point about having challenges is also really valid. IN grocery stores that I worked in, several of the employees had challenges like dyslexia etc and there were PLENTY of them who stayed with the company for an entire career. Becoming department managers then assistant store managers then store managers etc.

I don't get the bashing. Back in 2000 when I worked a grocery job I was making 12.50 per hour plus differential overnight right off the street as a new hire cashier PLUS benefits and the overnight stocking crew were up to 17.00 per hour. A nurse, entry level, by contrast was making about 20.00. So it was a good opportunity for someone with no training.

I hope my imput helped you. YES there are retail jobs including grocery. And as you can see from the statistics I've posted even towns like mine that people like to bash for some reason have all ranges of rents and housing costs and you can see from the figures hundreds of people have a short commute. Meaning there is work HERE even though it's asserted everyone sits around doing nothing all day, all 17000 of them LOL.

My town is just an example.....

Good luck to you and your husband. If you were in the oxygen field you may find the same type of thing here. Medical business is booming big time although yes, it's alot of nurses. But also I see medical billing, and other jobs like coordinating specimens like bloodwork from various locations, driving around....I forget the name of it....

You can apply for the nationwide jobs online but people here told me it's better to go in in person that the store managers will hire you quicker than sitting around waiting for your online application to be processed.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:23 PM

63 posts, read 255,551 times
Thanks Scissors I had to go back to my original post to see what my question was...thought I had started a Walmart post

Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
What is the job market like in Fl if you are looking for a min wage job such as a cashier at walmart or home depot etc. Are these places hiring on a regular basis? Also is min wage the same throughout all of FL?
Take a look at Starbucks. I worked there p/t when I was teaching & in grad school. Tips were my gas money (about $30/wk) & my base pay (which was minimum) paid for groceries. I had to take a p/t job b/c I just didn't make enough $$. It was great & fast paced so the day went fast.

I would also take a look at McD's...they are always hiring for AM shifts & AM shifts are busy so the day goes quick.
Dunkin Donuts is another. Publix is a major grocery store down there but in some areas it's actually tough to get a job there.

You do what you do to get the bills paid.

Just avoid WallyWorld. They are notorious for crappy treatment of their employees.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,304 times
Home Depot pays $15 an hour in Key West. I think that is decent.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Home Depot pays $15 an hour in Key West. I think that is decent.
If they payed that in Orlando, you would have a line 2 miles long of people waiting to apply.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,729 times
Forget Publix, they pay crappy, and give all part time hours... Ask my wife, she had to accept the job there for the time being since they bought Albertsons. They offered her less pay, and part time. Because they know they have everyone by the "you know whats", with the way things are. What else can you do? Say no and be unemployed??? No respect for Publix anymore from me...

Old 08-15-2008, 10:00 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Yeah, and our high per capita income rate and large over 40 population does reflect alot of well to do residents.

As I wrote before, take caution if moving to this area for jobs.

Year-to-year jobless rate significantly up on Treasure Coast, state : Treasure Coast : TCPalm

Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM

305 posts, read 805,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
If they payed that in Orlando, you would have a line 2 miles long of people waiting to apply.
15 per for a job that requires very little education? That not something you see to often here in sfl. I think home depot pays 9.50 to start down here so that's a big difference. I needed a A+ cert plus a 2 year and im getting 13.50 working for the state as a Voter System Technician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida