Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: complaint handling, traffic, buy a new home, job market, great schools.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Okay, just for the record: When we talk about it being hot in Florida, it's not because we're shocked or suprised by that fact (duh). We're only trying to educate those who think the weather is gorgeous all year round. And also, many people just can't fathom why anyone wouldn't like Florida, so some of us put the heat and humidity factor out on the table as one of the reasons.

Probably there are many people who have lived in the south all of their lives, and want to escape the heat, so they automatically think that the north is better because it's not as hot. The same goes for those living up north who want to escape the cold and go south because because it's warmer. Both are looking through rose-colored glasses, and need a reality check (as several others have mentioned, they are not running towards something they want, but rather away from something they don't want). Obviously, there are enough on this forum who don't have that problem. Well, the majority of our "education" about Florida's climate is not directed towards you. We realize you're not idiots. You know it's hot, and we know it's hot. But some people just don't know how hot and for how long.

That is why it's a topic of discussion. Obviously it's not "ridiculous" to a lot of people. But there are a lot of ridiculous topics going around, and I for one choose to just ignore them rather than become an activist against ridiculous topics.

The climate up north isnt perfect either. The only perfect climate is a maritime climate and 90% of the time, its very expensive to be in that location. The fact remains the majority of people prefer a temperate climate and this is where I am heading off to.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:13 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
You know it's hot, and we know it's hot. But some people just don't know how hot and for how long.

ding ding ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!!

That it is hot, gets hot and gets hotter than most areas in the country isn't any headline news. I beg people to consider: Recently it has been STIFLING here for a good 9 months out of the year, 2 months are tolerable and 1 month is nice and cool IMO....

Like fall colors??? Kiss that goodbye. Have kids??? Remember all those fun times on the sledding hill??? obviously forget it. Remember that feeling in March or April when it first cracks 60 degrees and things start to bloom and you feel marvelous because winter is over??? Say bye to that feeling too.....

Four seasons makes you appreciate the uniqueness of each and every one of them. Ever go trick or treating in 85 degrees??? Ever tried to get in the Christmas spirit wearing shorts and a T-shirt and still being hot outside???

I know it sounds like I'm trying to be negative. I'm not. These are honest feels or vibes that weather can give you and things many of you might come to feel when you relocate to a climate of hot, hotter and hottest....

There's a phenomenon called the "Half Back" in Florida and it's a HUGE phenomenon.... People move to Florida for the "paradise" from places like Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusettes, New Jersey, New York, etc... They melt for a few years and miss the varying weather, but have enough sense to remember how much they hated 3 feet of snow and 10 degrees so they move.............. That's right........... HALF way BACK to places like North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee so they can have thier seasons, and thier varying weather, etc. without the "one extreme to the other" issue.......

It's a very real thing that occurs to many that move here. There's a reason North Carolinians call us "Floridiots".... We are invading them and turning the Western North Carolina housing market into "Little Orlando"..... Check housing prices and try to get a job near Asheville.... Next to impossible, and this phenomenon is a BIG reason why.....

Old 02-01-2007, 06:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
. Ever go trick or treating in 85 degrees???
No, but I've put a snowsuit on my kid before sending him out.
Quote:
There's a phenomenon called the "Half Back" in Florida and it's a HUGE phenomenon....

It's a very real thing that occurs to many that move here. There's a reason North Carolinians call us "Floridiots".... We are invading them and turning the Western North Carolina housing market into "Little Orlando"..... Check housing prices and try to get a job near Asheville.... Next to impossible, and this phenomenon is a BIG reason why.....
Yes, Halfbacks have been discussed here and plenty of them post here.
Looks like history is repeating itself.
Good luck with it; hope you don't end up with the very woes you'd hoped to escape.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Sorry, I haven't been on the forum for very long...what's a Half Back?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:08 AM

598 posts, read 2,268,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
What we did learn in school was that we should read the whole post. I never said that the climate in Pa is the same as in Fl.
ahh, yeah, i think you did.
Quote:
I was commenting on the statement that there is zero humidity in Pa.
OK so didn't you learn in school that there was humidity everywhere? Of course PA doesn't have 0 humidity (technically) for goodness sake... nowhere is zero. Everybody knows that! It's just some simple hyperboly in common conversation Come on... Please stop splitting hairs with this already!

This is retarded.

BTW, I'm not unhappy here. It's a lame defence to use the that silly remark just because I disaggree with you. lmao

Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
ding ding ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!!

That it is hot, gets hot and gets hotter than most areas in the country isn't any headline news. I beg people to consider: Recently it has been STIFLING here for a good 9 months out of the year, 2 months are tolerable and 1 month is nice and cool IMO....

Like fall colors??? Kiss that goodbye. Have kids??? Remember all those fun times on the sledding hill??? obviously forget it. Remember that feeling in March or April when it first cracks 60 degrees and things start to bloom and you feel marvelous because winter is over??? Say bye to that feeling too.....

Four seasons makes you appreciate the uniqueness of each and every one of them. Ever go trick or treating in 85 degrees??? Ever tried to get in the Christmas spirit wearing shorts and a T-shirt and still being hot outside???

I know it sounds like I'm trying to be negative. I'm not. These are honest feels or vibes that weather can give you and things many of you might come to feel when you relocate to a climate of hot, hotter and hottest....

There's a phenomenon called the "Half Back" in Florida and it's a HUGE phenomenon.... People move to Florida for the "paradise" from places like Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusettes, New Jersey, New York, etc... They melt for a few years and miss the varying weather, but have enough sense to remember how much they hated 3 feet of snow and 10 degrees so they move.............. That's right........... HALF way BACK to places like North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee so they can have thier seasons, and thier varying weather, etc. without the "one extreme to the other" issue.......

Some good points. However, I get tired of reading about how Floridians are "invading" WNC. The housing market is NO WHERE NEAR "little Orlando" - that's ridiculous. Also, Florida is only one of many states of outmigration to North Carolina - they are also coming in droves from New York, New Jersey and California. The reason people can't get jobs in WNC is that it is, and always has been a RESORT area gearing toward tourists and vacation. Asheville is a small town of 72,000 surrounded by tinier towns. No one should go there expecting to get a high-paying, high-powered job, you have to go to big cities with a large business core for that. This is the same scenario for small coastal towns in Fla. - these are resort areas and have a thin economy, with only low-paying hospitality employment available.

I do agree about the weather - people getting tired of being frozen so they are happy for a year or two in Fla. - then get to missing the seasons, and vice versa. I felt the same way, so hubby and I bought a small second home in Asheville for vacation and retirement, where I live part time. Everyone has to figure out what's best for them. In the meantime, weather charts definitely do not spell out the whole story - one really has to physically experience the weather in any given locale each season to see how it agrees with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida