Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times

Advertisements

Jillzilla,
I know it's scary right now but as other's have stated, it's only been two weeks.
What you're feeling is perfectly natural no matter how much planning went into the move.
School has started now so your daughter should be meeting new people and that will give you more time to get adjusted.

Also agreed that you really do need a car.

Make a point of learning something new about your home and neighborhood everyday.
Whatever you do DON'T shut yourself in your home and become a hermit.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:35 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Much better posts! When someone is down this is what they really need, support. It makes you feel so much better when you have some positive reassurance no matter who it comes from.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:55 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Much better posts! When someone is down this is what they really need, support. It makes you feel so much better when you have some positive reassurance no matter who it comes from.
Since I didn't read the thread, I had to go back and see what you meant....I do see a couple negative ones.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 AM

305 posts, read 805,655 times
I think you should re-consider and move somewhere a bit more favorable for you and your hubby's salary range. You said you make 450 a week, you also stated that you hope your hubby can make at least 30k a year down here.

Honestly that's close to poverty living in palm beach, you might be able to afford the essentials but that's about it. the thing is, why move to Florida if you can't enjoy the surroundings?

If I was married and my wife and I combined can bring at least 100k a year then i'll consider South Florida but I would'nt come down here on a very limited budget, other states offer a much better bang for the buck.

florida doesn't provide too much resources to bail you out when you do get in trouble.

While I might get flamed for this, its the trruth and we all know the Florida job market quite well. If you stay you just might another family living way over the edge and hanging onto a rope for dear life. Im sure you don't want that. Since you just got here, it's a good time to reconsider, quality education for the kids, income, quality neighborhoods and resonable cost of living.

Last edited by 8.00 per hour; 08-21-2008 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-21-2008, 11:14 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,685 times
Do you want to stay there? If the answer is yes, then hang in there, tough it out.

If no, then go online and research what similar jobs pay in different areas, then look at the local economies. I know in Maine, the cost of living is very low, but that's because there are no jobs.

As far as missing your fiance, get an unlimited calling plan, but think of it this way, this is a great test of the relationship. You guys survive this, chances are that you will stay together for the long run.

I agree that you need to get your car.

One thing that bothers me, if he's working in NY and you're feeling broke in Fla, why are YOU paying the rent in NY? Did I misunderstand that point?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
You serious?

Thats like survivalist way of living. Thats not enjoying yourself or living anywhere near comfortable. Who wants to live like that?

Do you live like that? Wear the same clothes for a while w/o washing them? No cable tv, cant buy soda, cant buy anything or do anything fun?

You just live to exist and pay bills? Yippeeeeeee Where is the fun in that?
Whats the point to just exist in a dwelling and pay for it?
LOl you = big funny

Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillzilla View Post
I just moved down here two weeks ago, hoping for a better life. It just now seems it might not be possible, and that I did all this for nothing.. I'm so depressed, I just really need someone to tell me its going to be okay.

My fiance is 1500 miles away and we went from never spending a minute apart to never seeing eachother. I miss him so much and I feel so empty here without him.

My job is going well, tho the pay is not what I was told it was going to be. I went from $550 a week to $450 a week. Coming from a NY salary of $800 a week, I am extremely disappointed to say the least.

I don't have a job up north anymore, so I don't know if it's worth it to go back and be unemployed while I look, or just stay here and stick it out. My fiance is waiting for his transfer to go through so we don't know what his salary will be like.. I am hoping for at least $30,000 a year. Everyone tells me its not likely.

My car is still in NY and I still have to pay half the rent in NY also since my boyfriend is still in the apartment, waiting for the okay to come down.

I was told I will get a raise in a few months as I learn more.. Should I stick it out? I really need help.. I am trying to remain positive, but I don't want to move my whole life around if I can't make it down here!

I found a really nice apartment for $800 a month in a good school district.. and I was excited about taking it, but I don't even know if I can afford it now!

I'm sitting here crying.. and I don't know what to do.

Any kind words are appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Hello dear, I hope by now you are feeling a bit better. I will give my thoughts point by point.

#1. You moved down here hoping for "a better life", so I am assuming you have some sort of problems up there? Something that could not be solved?

#2. You say your job is going well. You are making less down here, BUT there is no income tax and you found a great place to live for far less than you would pay up there. Also, your employer told you that you will make more as you learn more, so I see NO problems on that front.

#3. How is it that your fiance does not know what his transfer salary will be, and why would be transfer - is it mandatory?

#4. You are in a good school district - another great plus.

OKay, I don't know why you are obligated for half the rent or other things in your life, but I think you are just homesick right now. Overall, I think things look pretty darn good for your life based on the little you have told us. Lots of people would be THRILLED to have a job with a future, and be in a school district with a nice affordable place to live.

Good luck to you and your family - remember that attitude really overcomes almost anything!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM

95 posts, read 323,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
You go for it, nerdy! You sound a lot like my son. I wish I had been more like you when I was your age! Great job!
Thanks. I wish I had met someone like your son.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:11 PM

214 posts, read 560,353 times
Man o Man it sure is getting a little wishy washy on here.

Look people we dont have to be positive all the time. Sometimes you have to break it down for someone and tell them the truth, and not baby and pamper them.

Her posts were a little misleading and I still want to know...

1. Why she originally said she had a job for $40k but is now getting $450 a week. With Taxes taken out thats about $18k a year. Big difference.

2. Are you on vacation now visiting your dad checking out the area? Or did you move by yourself for some reason?

3. How are you getting to work with no car?

Also your past posts your asking people what you need to know about buying a house and how much is home owners insurance and how much is this and that and then a week and a half later your down here looking to jump head first into buying a house?

And some of you are coddling her?

What she should do is take some serious time to learn everything there is to know about being a homeowner. Not just asking random people on the internet. I think they even offer first time home buyer classes. Learn more and save up.

To get approved for a mortgage your credit has to be sharp and they like to see that you are working steady and how long you have been at the job and how much you make and all.

You sound like you should get your head together and rent for a while down here.

No one post questions one week about "what do I need to know to buy a house and how much will this and that cost me" and then the next week goes and buys one.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlenerdy View Post
Thanks. I wish I had met someone like your son.
I wish he would meet someone like you, too. He's a little tired of me playing matchmaker though....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida