Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:07 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times

Advertisements

Actually, Texas would be a good choice for us and I have looked at condos on the internet. I do understand that they have very high insurance down there and it's the highest in the nation, followed by La. and Fla. I haven't personally done a search on it though. I believe they also have a higher tax rate then Florida does, but the final tax bill should still be less since the value is not considered to be that high. (Not really sure how it all compares) And yes, Texas does have the nice warm weather that we like. But since we have family in Florida, we're not ready to give up on it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 07:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Cant your family relocate to Texas? They would get a better price and a better house. My dad in fact says he cant see anything bad about Texas except the lack of good beaches and the hot summers(some people like it hot anyway)

You can get a beautiful 1/1 condo for $25k to $40k. Search Realtor com and youll see. Heres a pic of an example for $30k.

http://homepics.realtor.com/image3/http/ntreis/listings/large/035/10694097.jpg (broken link)

Theres a 2/2 condo in a gated community for $53k. Should be safe. Wow lots of beautiful 2/2 1000 square feet condos for around $50k, a few even include a car garage! Got around $100k? Thatll get you into an exceptional condo in a highly desirable upscale neighboorhood. Enjoy marble and granite. Got $150k to $200k? Youll be living in style among the rich upperclass in a high rise with black marble counters and all the luxuries galore!

I saw a sign for $229k condos as we were driving home in south FL. I had to laugh at the insane prices!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:02 PM

669 posts, read 3,194,272 times
Some people do like heat but I thought you said, NAH, that you hate heat and it's one of the reasons you're leaving.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:26 PM

Insane house prices is the top reason many are leaving FL. I see people willing to sell their houses at a loss like this guy. Many others are reducing their prices and still not selling. I will have to check out several states but maybe Texas has good qualities that make up for the miserable summers.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:41 PM

Thanks NAH. What city is that condo in? It looks pretty nice. Yes, I did check out realtor.com since several people have been talking about Texas. In fact, we even have friends in the Houston area. I've never been down there, but they do have some pretty nice pics on the Texas forum.

The reason my family can't move is because there are several extended family members in Fla. My brother's wife was from Fla. and her Mother still lives there, too. They have children who are scattered around the state and those children are married and have families of their own. I know that bro and sis in law don't want to leave their children and grandchildren and Mother behind. So it's just wiser if we're the ones who move because it's just the two of us and our cats. But there is nothing really set in stone yet and I'm glad you brought up the option of Texas.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:51 PM

Thats Dallas. Theres good deals in Houston too. Dallas has less crime than Houston and its less humid. I prefer Dallas What is your budget? You have to decide if you want to live near some of your family and pay a much higher price or enjoy Dallas at a good price and buy plane tickets to visit. If this helps, I am leaving FL(unless house prices drop big time) even though my family is in FL. They can visit me and I can visit them. I am not going to live in a shack just to be near them, I want a nice big house!

Old 02-15-2007, 10:54 PM

Actually, I think that San Antonio looks a bit interesting. It seems like a pretty bit city, though. One of the good things about vacationing back and forth with family is that everyone gets a break and gets to see different things. One of the drawbacks is that since 9/11, the cost of flying is quite high during peak times such as holidays. But there are never any special on flights to or from less traveled places like So. Dak. is. Maybe there are better bargains from Tx. to Fl.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Dallas has less crime than Houston

No it doesn't, you must be getting them mixed up. The only TX city on this high crime list is Dallas. There have also been several news articles talking about the high crime rate in Dallas.

http://www.governmentguide.com/commu...rouscities.adp

Old 02-16-2007, 01:12 PM

669 posts, read 3,194,272 times
Dallas has pretty high crime NAH but please don't write it off and say "I'm not going there, I want to live..." Look into safe areas. Please. They do exist.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Dallas has less crime than Houston

No it doesn't, you must be getting them mixed up. The only TX city on this high crime list is Dallas. There have also been several news articles talking about the high crime rate in Dallas.

http://www.governmentguide.com/commu...rouscities.adp

Ill have to check. Round Rock is the safest city in TX and the city-data crime index of about 200 proves this. Ill need $110k to $120k for a starter 3 bedroom house and $150k to $175k for a nice big 4 bedroom house. This means a salary of $45k for the minimum and 60-70k for a better house. Theres no condos in that city. Houston has 650 crime and Dallas has 750 and San Antonio has 500. Yea im gonna want to live in a safe, low crime city in Texas. WPB is the 14th most unsafe city and Compton, CA is 15th yet people say Compton is very bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida