Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:37 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
The anti gay marriage passed in every state even hypocrite CA which preaches one thing votes another,

BOTH parties voted to ban gay marriage . I voted for it as it matters not to me what consenting adults do its their life not mine.
when the younger generation comes into power and my generation passes away.

I know it is difficult to wait, but just as America has just elected her first black President, someday gays, too, will achieve full equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
when the younger generation comes into power and my generation passes away.

I know it is difficult to wait, but just as America has just elected her first black President, someday gays, too, will achieve full equality.
This is a true statement that the new majority of voters will start changing the playing field for future elections. Yesterday we elected as a nation a mixed race (black/white) president that we can recognized as today's culture has we have evolved. The old views are becoming somewhat old views and people all over are demanding respect and deserving the best support from the elected candidates. Again the writing is on the wall deliver and work the issues of the counties, states and our nation as a whole...

Last edited by sunrico90; 11-05-2008 at 04:55 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM

698 posts, read 3,267,338 times
I am soooooo proud of florida!!!! We have hope and i'm looking forward to all the possibilities in the future.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
i voted for mccain. but i hope obama does well, we need him to.

florida voted 51% obama, and 48% mccain. southeast fla and orange/osceoloa co were blue, big suprise there. but more counties were red than blue, but some of our red counties are small.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:11 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
well honestly, I'm surprised FL went blue. on the whole gay front, while i voted no, truly most Americans are traditionalists and prefer "Judeo-Christian" values over changing the system up, even in nutty California. Remember in 2000 they passed another ban on gay marriage there, as well. A small vocal group of secularists and the media would have you think everyone in America is a liberal now. I think the reason Obama won is because instead of touting his past extremely liberal/secular-progressive record, he touted himself as a centrist, more moderate. He even touted in favor of guns and the second amendment! We'll see how he governs from the oval office, if he is going to be a centrist or just continue to be extremely far left.

On FL, Hillsborough and Duval, 2 key battleground counties, were neck and neck. All the Gulf coast counties from Naples to Pensacola with the exception of St. Petersburg were red, no surprise there (one thing the Gulf coast has on the East coast LoL ) I am surprised Orange county (Orlando) went as blue as it did. With Windemere, Maitland, and Winter Park you would think there would be more of a balance. Osceola does not surprise me, though, and neither does family oriented Seminole county going red. Volusia surprised me as a blue county, but I guess they had a high black voter turnout there with all the college students at Bethune and what not. Again, no surprise that Dade is the least blue of all the south FL counties with the older Cubans still holding strong there. I did not know Broward was that blue. What makes it so blue, the gays and the Jews?

Anyone else with post game analysis?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Thanks, yes, I have been through the site.

Looking at the national and state-wide results for Florida, including the referenda, I perceive disgust for the republican administration nationally, but still a strong desire for property tax reform in the state, and that perhaps voters perceive that the republicans are better able to deliver, or at least to keep rates where they are.

I am not experienced in state politics, so can anyone corroborate that perception?
It doesn't explain my county, Duval. Duval was one of only 2 counties that voted against property tax reform - we did not want it. Obama barely won Duval in this election, yet nearly all the other offices went Republican . It is perplexing for sure. My only explanation is that the only people who bothered to vote beyond the presidential line were Republicans.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:32 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Thank you Florida!!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
Florida finally got it right this time. After the last mistake they helped put in office.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:37 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Hubby and I are so happy about this! Unfortunately, Sarasota County ended up red, but only by 238 votes! There was a piece in the paper about how it's come such a long way because this was the best showing for a Democratic candidate in 64 years! It went on to say how the demographics there had really changed. I think the demographics of Florida in general is changing, more younger people and more transplants from more liberal states. Of course, more so in some counties than others.

It's the dawn of a new day!

Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,771,754 times
See it's not so bad to have us Yankees down there is it? LOL... MA is always a blue state. I voted in FL from up here with an absentee ballot being I am still a FL resident. You can guess where my vote went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hubby and I are so happy about this! Unfortunately, Sarasota County ended up red, but only by 238 votes! There was a piece in the paper about how it's come such a long way because this was the best showing for a Democratic candidate in 64 years! It went on to say how the demographics there had really changed. I think the demographics of Florida in general is changing, more younger people and more transplants from more liberal states. Of course, more so in some counties than others.

It's the dawn of a new day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida