Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM

92 posts, read 317,012 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in NE Tennessee. After meeting my husband on the internet, I moved here from Connecticut. I've never liked it here at all. My husband has been talking lately of closing his retail tobacco store and finding something else. I am looking for a job as well and know that if I can find something good somewhere else, he might be willing to move to that place. I graduated from UCONN with a degree in Communications and a degree in Sociology. Since graduating, I've been a travel agent off and on in all of those years, 18 years. (I've only been off when having my kids for the most part.) I love the travel industry and would love to find something in that field in Florida (where I figure my best bet is.) I know that many cruise lines are based in South Florida, but I'd rather be more north. Any ideas for me for a job with an income to support a family of 5? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 11:00 PM

807 posts, read 3,188,424 times
Well, I'm a self employed property manager with vacation rental homes and I can tell you first hand that this "strong economy" that Bush keeps referring to is killing the tourist industry. I'm shifting my ads to include the UK as the europeans are still looking to sun on the beach. Definitely secure something before moving anywhere! The job market is in bad shape everywhere.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:18 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlcompanygirl View Post
I'm currently living in NE Tennessee. After meeting my husband on the internet, I moved here from Connecticut. I've never liked it here at all. My husband has been talking lately of closing his retail tobacco store and finding something else. I am looking for a job as well and know that if I can find something good somewhere else, he might be willing to move to that place. I graduated from UCONN with a degree in Communications and a degree in Sociology. Since graduating, I've been a travel agent off and on in all of those years, 18 years. (I've only been off when having my kids for the most part.) I love the travel industry and would love to find something in that field in Florida (where I figure my best bet is.) I know that many cruise lines are based in South Florida, but I'd rather be more north. Any ideas for me for a job with an income to support a family of 5? Thanks!
Great, you are qualified to work in a Hotel. Best guess? 30-40K/year. If you are willing to work 2 shifts, 6 days a week, you might even be able to afford living in South Florida. Try the other cities in Florida. It's that or I hope your mail-order bride/sugar daddy made enough on the tobacco shop to afford the lifestyle you are hoping to become accustomed to?

Just having some fun. Seriously, the wages are rather low down there but if you have a work ethic (read: you actually show up and stay for a few years) you are light years ahead of your competition as the labor market in Florida for the service industry is always rather bad. That, coupled with the illegal element helps to keep salaries low and lower.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida