Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 PM

142 posts, read 272,588 times

Advertisements

Florida needs to take a second look at this current law. The rest of the country thinks that Florida is a shoot-em up if you feel threatened state. A lot of people are scared out of there wits to even visit Florida now, if it is not a voting issue then America is waiting for the next weird story to come from this state.

http://news.yahoo.com/shooting-death...004720741.html

Last edited by spidac; 11-29-2012 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
I'm so happy to know that you & the bloggers at yahoo! think this.

Go troll elsewhere.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I could find dozens of similar stories from other States.

Thank God no one around here will hire you, because we don't need more haters.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:38 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
Wow...I'm so excited....another negative Florida thread by someone who really doesn't know what they're talking about.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
What exactly is the media fascination with every violent crime in this state? Between violent crime incidents and "weird news stories" they paint a pretty disturbing (and unrealistic) picture of what living here is like.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:29 AM

Agree Kyle. Nevada is the State with the highest crime rate in the US, and SC is right behind them. Alaska has a higher violent crime rate, yet we never hear about their alarmingly high statistics.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Stand Your Ground law: A punk with a 9mm comes up to you at the ATM, on the street, at the parking lot, etc. You act like your getting out your wallet and out comes your little .380 semi automatic and you pop one or two into the head of the punk. You just did good . You go home. You know that you had no choice in removing the Punk from society.

No Stand Your Ground Law: A punk with a 9mm comes up to you at the ATM, on the street, at the parking lot, etc. You are unarmed. Punk has you withdraw the max from the ATM, takes your wallet, car, cell phone, keys, and goes on his way. Now you are a busy person cancelling credit cards, getting new drivers license, changing locks on everything and still be worried that the punks know where you live, probably where you work. The punk decides to pump a round or two into you before leaving.

Nice set of hospital bills and knowing that you could have lost your life because the Punk had the upper hand on you. Or even worse. You are dead as a door nail laying on the ground.

The SYG law also works in other situations where a person is in fear of his life or safety as well as the lives and safety of their family and friends. If you exercise your right under the SYG law and it turns out that you
were wrong in doing so, you go to prison. What is the question here about being legally able to take out an individual who means great harm to you?

All the SYG law does is provide you with immunity from prosecution when the SYG law is properly used.

25 states have SYG laws.

I guess some of you out there have no concern for your personal safety, your right to enjoy your life without having a thug come along to take from you what you have earned. If you'd rather wind up in a morgue or a rehabilitation center learning how to walk again, that is your choice. It is not my choice. Some of you would rather stand by while your wife is assaulted at gun point rather than be able to squelch the situation immediately.

I do not feel that a criminal with the intent to rob, harm or kill me has no rights at that point. I need my right to do what I feel is necessary to not become another crime statistic.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:53 AM

97 posts, read 229,046 times
The truth hurts.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 AM

There are far more stories of people who become everyday heroes due to SYG than those who are possibly guilty of abusing it.

Earlier this week a guy held a would be burglar at gunpoint until the police arrived. Last week a guy shot a punk who tried to rob him at an ATM. Almost every week there is a story about someone who used the law in the manner in which it was intended and prevented harm to themselves, others, or their property. Once or twice a year there's someone who tries to use the law as a shield to prevent them from being charged with a crime. It seems that the law helps more than it hurts.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM

511 posts, read 855,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidac View Post
Florida needs to take a second look at this current law. The rest of the country thinks that Florida is a shoot-em up if you feel threatened state. A lot of people are scared out of there wits to even visit Florida now, if it is not a voting issue then America is waiting for the next weird story to come from this state.

Shooting death of black teen puts Florida law back under spotlight - Yahoo! News
The rest of the country really?? Even IF that's true who cares?? I don't think anyone who intends to VISIT Florida gives it even a second thought, not anyone with sensibilities that is..

Now, if they intend to come to do harm to someone or come here to commit crimes now they may think twice about it and I don't have any problem with that what-so-ever..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida