Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:01 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,582 times

Advertisements

OK I've read tons of posts from people saying that they want to move out of FL because of the heat.

I'd say the temperatures are not that far off from, let's say, Texas. And they are even lower than Arizona. Even inland San Diego county can be hot.

How come I don't see anyone saying they want to move out of Texas or Arizona or inland San Diego because of the heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2006, 07:11 PM

105 posts, read 622,203 times
Because we are all Yankees at heart, we are used to moderate summers, not 100 days of 90 degree weather. I hate it when I sweat in January and Feb, it's just not right!! HUMIDITY here stinks too!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weloveantiques
Because we are all Yankees at heart, we are used to moderate summers, not 100 days of 90 degree weather. I hate it when I sweat in January and Feb, it's just not right!! HUMIDITY here stinks too!
I do agree, add hoa, ins etc.as of 6-13-2006 one down and what to go?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:05 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,090 times
It all depends on where in Fl. I spent a few years west of Orlando and boy was it hot. Candles melted!
Moved home to Vero Beach and eventhough we have our fair share of temperatures hot enough to give straight hair curl, we also have a cool sea breeze. It drops the temps by at least a few degrees. Totally bareable with minimal clothing,

Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,661 times
Default fla vs texas

probably about the same as far as the heat in fla and tx... but a lot that you are not hearing, is that b/w october - early may, the weather is awesome!!!

so what if it's too hot in the summer months, that what the pools and beaches are for!!! fla, cali, and hawaii arent the three most desirable places to live for nothing. would you rather put up with three-four months of heat, or three-four months of freezing cold weather???

when it's hot in the summer, i'll go to the beach or the pool and get a tan. in the winter months, one can go inside the house and stay inside b/c there is nothing to do when it's cold outside, unless you are into skiing or snowboarding i guess

Old 06-13-2006, 11:04 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
How come I don't see anyone saying they want to move out of Texas or Arizona or inland San Diego because of the heat?
Simple -- dry heat versus moist heat. You can be in 105 degree temperatures in Arizona and likely not sweat; I've broken a sweat in Florida on a 75 degree day if I'm working moderately hard.

Humidity is more complex than it sounds. From the Wikipedia: Under conditions of high humidity, the evaporation of sweat from the skin is decreased and the body's efforts to maintain an acceptable body temperature may be significantly impaired. Also, if the atmosphere is as warm as or warmer than the skin during times of high humidity, blood brought to the body surface cannot lose its heat, resulting in a condition called hyperpyrexia. With so much blood going to the external surface of the body, relatively less goes to the active muscles, the brain, and other internal organs. Physical strength declines and fatigue occurs sooner than it would otherwise. Alertness and mental capacity also may be affected. This resulting condition is called heat stroke or hyperthermia.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:48 AM

121 posts, read 785,933 times
Well said Old Time. The only thing I can add is that it is good to sweat. I have lived in the Boston area for 15 years intermittently. I have lived in NE Florida for more than twice that time. There are more good outdoor days in Florida than in the Northeast. No more dirty snow, and piles of shoes and huge coats. No more driveway plowing in the middle of the night. But one golden summer day at Fenway park might still be worth twenty dog days in Florida.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:15 AM

320 posts, read 1,557,141 times
Good question regarding the complaints against heat. Texas does get just as hot as Florida. Depending on the area, it gets just as humid as well. I currently live in KY which also sees it's fair share of humid, 90-100 degree temps during the summer. The difference in KY is that it only last for a short period of time. We ususally don't start seeing those type of temps until sometime in July and things start to cool down in September.

Funny thing is, when I lived in Texas - I really didn't notice the heat all that much. I even wore long sleeves to the office in the summer and it didn't bother me. When I moved to KY, I thought it was bone chilling cold and a hard time adjusting and staying warm in the cooler months. Now I don't find KY that cold. I usually don't use a jacket until it gets really cold - 30 or below. When I go back to Texas to visit, the weather seems unbearably hot to me and I can't stand the humidity. I probably shower 3 times a day when visiting.

My point is, I think we adjust to the climate where ever we live. The first year, and maybe part of the next year, may be very difficult but we usually adapt soon after and really don't notice it much any more. We just have to give ourselves that necessary time to adjust.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:55 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,380 times
Humidity in one factor. When you add hot temperatures with humidity...it feels worse. Even, if it's the same temperature, but the sea breezes do help a bit. All I can say that, Thank God for the invention of a/c, everything changed in Florida with the invention of this marvelous gadget. Though, I must say I wouldn't change our fall or winter weather for anything. Plus, when I feel really hot...I go to the beach and keep emersing myself in the water everytime I feel a little sweat coming along. There are ways to compensate...
The HOA, Home owners ins., home price fiasco we are going thru well, that's a reality that hopefully will level out in the future.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:30 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,556 times
I was in a Tractor Supply Store today, and saw a barn cooling unit that was, pun intended, cool! It was a simple rig, a large fan with hoses going into a vat of water beneath the fan. The water was pumped up into the fan and cooled through the evaporative process, and cool air flowed from the fan. It was almost the equivalent of AC. It would easily cool a large garage or small barn. I gotta get one when my barn is finished. $999.

Moving air, and maybe some shade, is all that's needed to stay cool. The offshore breezes on the East coast work beautifully. Our Okeechobee property is wide open, and there is almost always a strong East/West breeze. We have paddle fans in every room of our house. We just turned on the AC in our house in the last week, and the only reason is that my 102-year-old Mother-in-law lives with us; otherwise we would not use the AC. Our new house will have wraparound porches, lots of openings and high ceilings, just like the old Cracker houses. We may never use the AC.

Jewels36 is absolutely right. Once here for a while, you adapt to the conditions. Sweating is good; when the moving air hits it, it is naturally cooling as the sweat evaporates. I don't mind the heat, but I freeze in the Winter. Anything below 60 is almost unbearable. Anything above a line between Vero Beach and Tampa is too far North.

Anyone who thinks there are no seasons in South Florida needs to livehere for a while. The Summers are hot, the Winters are cold, and there's a six week period every Spring and Fall when the weather is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida