Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:21 PM

17 posts, read 83,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Have you been to Palm Coast? I live in Ormond Beach, south of it. I sure wouldn't buy there. It's not a nice place. Very little to do, barely any stores and the communities are not nice at all. I don't like it there at all.

On the other hand - New Smyrna Beach (south of me) is nice. So is Port Orange and Ormond Beach.

Yes, jobs pay less here. But the housing is much cheaper so it's a bit of an offset.
I've been to New Smyrna, Ormond, Edgewater etc etc., but not Palm Coast... a friend of mine just suggested it. I would definitely be coming back for a few weeks to really scope the places out. It's just too bad we can't rent due to all my pets.

Tina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 03:41 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2Move? View Post
Hi All,

I have spent the best part of today reading posts about Florida. I decided to join, as I'm researching a possible move to Florida. Yes, I am one of the northerners looking to move south. I understand that there are very many different opinions on the quality of life in Florida. Personally, I want to know if FL is right for ME and my FIANCE. We are currently in upstate NY, and just can NOT stand the cost of living. Our property taxes are $9,000/year, cig's are $50/carton, and gas is over $2.50/gallon. Not to mention our $600/month heating bill! Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention... it's POURING ICE outside as I type. lol Now, in light of all these negative things that I have come to hate, I would never convince someone not to move here if it were right for THEM. This is what I'm hoping to get from this group. I have read the pro's & con's... but want to get more specific information on the area that I'm interested in.

We are looking to buy a SF in the North East part of Florida. Places that we may be interested in are Palm Coast, New Smyrna Beach, De Land, Ocala Eustis. We think these areas would be ideal, as we would like a couple of acres, in more of a country setting, although close to beaches and entertainment. Also, I read that these parts don't get the brutal effects of hurricanes as much as the south of FL. We have no children (and do not plan to have any). We aren't looking to relocate for good we would just like to move for a few years, before heading to our ultimate destination... Arizona.

I'm looking forward to the climate change, the beautiful lush vegetation, being able to grow things in my garden that I could never achieve in NYS, tons of things to do, and basically a more relaxed lifestyle. Oh yeah, and I LOVE PALM TREES! LOL

The things that are of great concern to myself and my fiance include...

Insects!!! (I must be honest) Especially ones that pose threats to my many pets.

Extreme Humidity (We really need to get used to this. lol)

Hurricanes (I know it's a part of life... just a nerve wracking one!)

Possible falling house values after we purchase.

And low income jobs vs NYS income.

This is obviously a big move, and I really want to get as many opinions as possible... so any help at all would be fantastic, greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!!!

Tina
Welcome to Florida!!!!!

Insects!!! (I must be honest) Especially ones that pose threats to my many pets.

They are all over but nothing to fear. Best approach to ensure a 99% clean home is to pesticide before you move, keep the inside clean, and monthly pesticide outside/inside. (you probably do in your current home)

Is something that we have at times can be a thorn in our backs. Dress properly, keep track of the local weather updates and you will be fine. In upstate NY you do have humidity sometime during the year, so you experienced your fear, no surprises.

Hurricanes (I know it's a part of life... just a nerve wracking one!) This is an easy one, be prepare, follow the hurricane checklist for supplies/actions and follow the local government directions. A hurricane allows plenty of time for preparation, must decide on evacuation routes, hotels to stay, and always have cash in your pocket. Keep your important papers in a save place or in a backpack for easy access. We have posted many threads about hurricane awareness, read and you will find very good advice. The local TV/radio station will provide information.

Possible falling house values after we purchase. This was a business decision, so you own a home, life your life as a home owner not as a home owner that regrets owning a home.

And low income jobs vs NYS income. Do your research good paying jobs are available for the individuals that are well qualify, do your networking and check the market for jobs. Be ready to present a example of your qualification, if you have a great accomplishment in your current career, provide a brief summary. Many managers like to see what you have accomplish in the past, add letters of recommendation or any recognition letters.

This is obviously a big move, and I really want to get as many opinions as possible... so any help at all would be fantastic, greatly appreciated!!!

Do your research and plan your move, this action will help you identify any concerns before you move. Be open minded and be flexible. Keep us posted of your plan, we are here to help.

Thanks so much!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 44,865 times
I have lived in DeLand for 13 years and think you would love it here! And you're right, we don't seem to get hit too roughly from hurricanes, though in 2004 we were visited by Charlie, Frances and Jeanne. My 46 year old house came through it all just fine though.

Wages: much lower than NY
Cost of living: also much lower, though gas prices are prob. the same
insects: I just used Advantage on my cat once a month, and every 3 months I put down bug and weed killer on my lawn. If you keep your lawn under control, then you don't see things in your house.

Falling house prices: yeah, esp. since the great and wondrous year of 2005. I have had my home on the market since last June and nothing. I have seen the same homes for sale here in DeLand the entire time my son has been in high school, and he is a Junior this year!

Problems with DeLand/Volusia County: not nearly as many good jobs as in ORlando, and believe me, you do not want to live here and endure that long commute to ORlando. This is why I work from home.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 PM

142 posts, read 578,742 times
This is the best time to buy. As recent as Feb. '05 my neighbor had her house on the market breifly and she was stalked by buyers. It has changed fast AND it can swing back the other way equally as fast.

But what do most people do.... The wait for the crowd to make a mad rush and then act when it is too late. Less than 3 years ago people were camping on a builders (business) doorstep when they announced when a particular developement would go on the market. They camped days before the opening. You couldn't buy their place in line, let alone their place.

Now is the time..

Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 AM

28 posts, read 49,587 times
Default Education on South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2Move? View Post
Hi All,

I have spent the best part of today reading posts about Florida. I decided to join, as I'm researching a possible move to Florida. Yes, I am one of the northerners looking to move south. I understand that there are very many different opinions on the quality of life in Florida. Personally, I want to know if FL is right for ME and my FIANCE. We are currently in upstate NY, and just can NOT stand the cost of living. Our property taxes are $9,000/year, cig's are $50/carton, and gas is over $2.50/gallon. Not to mention our $600/month heating bill! Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention... it's POURING ICE outside as I type. lol Now, in light of all these negative things that I have come to hate, I would never convince someone not to move here if it were right for THEM. This is what I'm hoping to get from this group. I have read the pro's & con's... but want to get more specific information on the area that I'm interested in.

We are looking to buy a SF in the North East part of Florida. Places that we may be interested in are Palm Coast, New Smyrna Beach, De Land, Ocala Eustis. We think these areas would be ideal, as we would like a couple of acres, in more of a country setting, although close to beaches and entertainment. Also, I read that these parts don't get the brutal effects of hurricanes as much as the south of FL. We have no children (and do not plan to have any). We aren't looking to relocate for good we would just like to move for a few years, before heading to our ultimate destination... Arizona.

I'm looking forward to the climate change, the beautiful lush vegetation, being able to grow things in my garden that I could never achieve in NYS, tons of things to do, and basically a more relaxed lifestyle. Oh yeah, and I LOVE PALM TREES! LOL

The things that are of great concern to myself and my fiance include...

Hurricanes (I know it's a part of life... just a nerve wracking one!)

Possible falling house values after we purchase.

And low income jobs vs NYS income.

Thanks so much!!!

Tina
Hi Tina:

I consider myself an authority on South Florida - I moved there 20 years ago from the Jersey Shore - biggest mistake of my life. In the last 10 years Florida changed drastically - people have always been for the most part - disfunctional, rude, have major attitudes, and no one looks you in the eye or has time for normal conversation. I experienced alot of unhappiness there and as a result have been relocating twice - most recently to north carolina where the job market is horrible - beautiful weather, friendly, but not alot to do for single women and no jobs - so now I am back again looking in a different part of Florida - further north - Jensen Beach area. My suggestion is if you are planning to move to south florida - be prepared - it's another planet. Good luck.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:26 AM

142 posts, read 578,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeegirl View Post

Hi Tina:

I consider myself an authority on South Florida - I moved there 20 years ago from the Jersey Shore - biggest mistake of my life. In the last 10 years Florida changed drastically - people have always been for the most part - disfunctional, rude, have major attitudes, and no one looks you in the eye or has time for normal conversation. I experienced alot of unhappiness there and as a result have been relocating twice - most recently to north carolina where the job market is horrible - beautiful weather, friendly, but not alot to do for single women and no jobs - so now I am back again looking in a different part of Florida - further north - Jensen Beach area. My suggestion is if you are planning to move to south florida - be prepared - it's another planet. Good luck.
Jensen Beach is still considered (technically) part of S. Fla., but I know what you mean. I live in PSL on the border with Jensen Beach and the way I see it this area has a shelf life of about 5 years before it is as bad as Palm Beach county (rudeness, crime, ignorance and all quality of life issues). With scripps going in and Torrey Pines and all the off shoots, you'll see another property value surge and population surge as well.

When scripps went in in Cali, property values soared.. I expect another push here..

Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,444 times
Default Pets no problem now.

Sellers looking to rent are not so picky these days with the housing crash.

What used to be is not the rule anymore in regards to pets etc...

There are lots of people willing to rent to people with a lot of pets.

I have three dogs, one cat, and a bird.

SKB

Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,763 times
My husband and I plan to move down to Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach from NJ - hasn't been hit with a hurricane in 107yrs. Beautiful resort island, very casual lifestyle, moderate-priced living, lots to do. Check it out!

Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post
Sellers looking to rent are not so picky these days with the housing crash.

What used to be is not the rule anymore in regards to pets etc...

There are lots of people willing to rent to people with a lot of pets.

I have three dogs, one cat, and a bird.

SKB
Oh My Goodness... are you serious??? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME IF SOMEONE WOULD LET ME RENT!!! I have a ton of pets, but we are really clean, and I would have NO problem signing something which states "if" my pets damaged anything, we would absolutely pay for the repairs.

So do you actually rent?

Thanks for the info!!!

Tina

Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 PM

I heard about Amelia Island... I would love to go visit, but I don't think it would be what we are looking for to live.

I'm really hoping the heat/humidity in North Florida is tolerable! LOL I could always remind myself of the snowstorms in NY if I ever get too hot and cranky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida