Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 PM

102 posts, read 309,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
carolanna,

Many of them are too busy enjoying life to spend time on forums.....

Good luck with your plans....dispite how it seems here, you are not alone....

Frank D.
True...... with your own circumstances you will like it here unless you terribly miss the family up north.
Many of the retired or older folks are out golfing, watching TV, don't worry about sun damage at an old age at the beach all the time (the sun is very strong here even with sun block that you have to keep re-applying) and don't have to drag the kids around especially when they hate the heat like mine do. Not working for us here, but positively we will soon be moving back to where we were once much more happy before.

On the bright side, I don't see what is so bad about being on Forums rather than sitting in front of the TV channel surfing...it give you a sense of places and people and you can learn new vocabulary with spelling and speed up your typing skills while you are at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:17 PM

102 posts, read 309,674 times
Heat:
If you plan to be active outdoors here between May and September(varies) you'll have to drink a lot of water and slow down quite a bit compared to up north where you have all that energy.
(Bottled water here). There are a lot of extreme cases of heat stroke and even death to some who are active outdoors or who are overweight and a heat injury can be long term. You don't have to worry about kids being in sports so I won't go into that.

Good luck and enjoy your hopefully Florida retired life.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:21 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
Default I am fortunate that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post
Heat:
If you plan to be active outdoors here between May and September(varies) you'll have to drink a lot of water and slow down quite a bit compared to up north where you have all that energy.
(Bottled water here). There are a lot of extreme cases of heat stroke and even death to some who are active outdoors or who are overweight and a heat injury can be long term. You don't have to worry about kids being in sports so I won't go into that.

Good luck and enjoy your hopefully Florida retired life.
I am off from work from May to August. I don't HAVE to go out at all if I don't want to, which I don't. I also found out today I won't be going out to the playground with child I work with to the playground at Noon anymore. I am VERY happy about that, even in JANUARY. If I can stay out of the SUN, ANY month in Florida, I will be very, very happy. Even when it is 40 degrees out here the sun is outrageously HOT in comparison to the winter sun up North. I don't need it. Actually, I have considered quitting my job for the school district and going back to working NIGHTS here in Florida to avoid the sun entirely. I might just do that.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:22 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
....yea, FLORIDA really sucks. Today, I awoke to blue skies, 67 degrees, 5% humidity. The view from my 32 foot (in length) blacony....

I hate you joking.
It was a balmy 17 degrees Tuesday morning with snow in SC. Heck it even snowed in Charleston SC .
It was a balmy 18 degrees Wednesday morning with black ice in SC
Thursday it calmed a bit high of around 45.
Today was the first time the sun has been out in 2 weeks, however as with the rest of this stupid weather, by Sunday it will be back down in the mid 30's with the usual overcast skies and rain.

It makes me sick as all get out to go from 17 degrees to 60 in 2 days, then flip back around the other way yet again.

I can't wait to be in your weather.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,668,771 times
Default Actually weatherwise it was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I hate you joking.
It was a balmy 17 degrees Tuesday morning with snow in SC. Heck it even snowed in Charleston SC .
It was a balmy 18 degrees Wednesday morning with black ice in SC
Thursday it calmed a bit high of around 45.
Today was the first time the sun has been out in 2 weeks, however as with the rest of this stupid weather, by Sunday it will be back down in the mid 30's with the usual overcast skies and rain.

It makes me sick as all get out to go from 17 degrees to 60 in 2 days, then flip back around the other way yet again.

I can't wait to be in your weather.
I went to NY last Friday (on purpose). It was NINE degrees on Saturday. Sunday and Monday it warmed up to 20s and 30s and snowed. When I came back to SW Florida on Monday it was in the middle of the "cold" front. Low 30s at night and 50s in the day. I wore my MIDWEIGHT jacket, but not the DOWN I wore in NY. I kept all my winter clothes.

I have been back less than a week,but it feels like an enternity since I left NY. Now it will be back to normal for SW Florida with 70s and approaching 80s UGH, UGH, and more UGH. Well, I may not be able to wear my jacket, but I am still going to wear my long sleeves and sweatshirt. I had a horrible day at work today. The autistic child I work with BIT me and drew blood even through my long sleeves and sweatshirt. IF I had been wearing my heavy jacket this would never have happened. At any rate, I am glad that I shunned the Florida sunshine and wore what I did. If I had been in the "uniform" of Florida, I would probably be in the hospital now instead of typing on this forum.

Yeah, Florida weather is WONDERFUL. Just remember. MOST of us here have to WORK for a living. We are not RETIRED vegging in the sunshine.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:26 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,538,684 times
TANaples,
I have a beautiful home on three acres of land here in NY that can be all yours in a couple of years if you like. Heck, I'll even throw in the snowblower....it's a great winter hobby.

Frank D.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:47 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
TANaples,
I have a beautiful home on three acres of land here in NY that can be all yours in a couple of years if you like. Heck, I'll even throw in the snowblower....it's a great winter hobby.

Frank D.
I am sure TANaples does not like rural living. I like ultra dense urban living

Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I am sure TANaples does not like rural living. I like ultra dense urban living

I think at this rate she'll take ANYWHERE in the north, lol. Anyway, it's not like it's the north country of upstate where it's a lot more rural than the Buffalo area

Old 01-23-2009, 06:58 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I think at this rate she'll take ANYWHERE in the north, lol. Anyway, it's not like it's the north country of upstate where it's a lot more rural than the Buffalo area
I think you may be right. At least its New York

Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
....yea, FLORIDA really sucks. Today, I awoke to blue skies, 67 degrees, 5% humidity. The view from my 32 foot (in length) blacony....
You must slept in as it was half of that this morning in West Palm Beach lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida