Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 24,314 times

Advertisements

Are there neighborhoods to choose (or to avoid!) in the Lakeland area? I'm relocating for a job in the area and my partner is transgender (similar situation to the City Manager Stanton). We'd really like to find a safe place near Lakeland, and hopefully an area where someone like my partner (experienced network administrator) can find work nearby.

Thanks in advance!

Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 02:06 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,379 times
http://www.seuniversity.edu/ (broken link)

http://catalog.seuniversity.edu/content.php?catoid=6&navoid=81 (broken link)

"christ centered education"

http://www.hometownusa.com/fl/Lakeland.html#Population

General population information

http://www.hometownusa.com/fl/
If you want to check other cities, you can use the link above...the median income seems pretty low too me.

Lakeland would not be my first choice of a place to live and I am not transgendered. I could certainly be wrong but historically fundamenal Christians are not accepting of the Gay, Lesbian and Transgendered lifestyle.

http://governing.com/textbook/gays.htm

Old 05-16-2007, 06:10 AM

5 posts, read 24,314 times
Thanks Lisa. I'm hoping that there is something within commuting distance of Lakeland at least. I'll keep looking.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Lakeland is changing - I am actually looking to relocate there. It is still a somewhat conservative area, but is rapidly morphing into a hipper and artsier place. The beautiful downtown is experiencing a renaissance with all the old buildings renovated, and great new apartments being built. Lots of neat restaurants, coffee shops and art galleries. The town has become very arts oriented. There are many cool festivals there throughout the year.

There is a also a new USF campus which is in the early stages of being built. When finished it will accommodate up to 16,000 students which will bring even a more youthful vibe to the town.

I like the areas right around downtown (the historic areas) You should really check them out before making a decision just based on what anyone says on this forum. I checked out a website with a map of gay/lesbian bars and there are a couple around downtown Lakeland. I think it's worth it to research the place a bit, it is incredibly beautiful.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 AM

148 posts, read 604,651 times
Default hard to say

Have visited Lakeland over the last 10 years since I live only 35 miles away.

There is great potential there but it is hard for me to be sure if it will change significantly from the conservative, religious oriented vibe. I used to be more tolerant of conservative areas, but I have learned from living in Jacksonville back in the early 90s that it is a lonely existence to be among an uneducated, conservative populace.

Back to what Lakeland has--
One hip coffeehouse, Mitchell's, has been there for 10 plus years. The Antiquarian restaurant has been there fairly long also. Although a good restaurant, they have had the same menu for years...it seemed great at first to me, but now it seems like they are resting on their laurels and maybe cutting corners. Am speaking from a foodie point of view, but in a way, that ties in to an area that will have a more tolerant view of persons' lifestyles.

A new hip coffehouse called Black and Brew opened up a year or so ago and the young kids there have dyed locks and are very friendly. And it is a very neat red brick loft style place. Some new New York loft style condos are nearing completion in downtown, and a small gourmet shop on Florida Avenue is relocating to be in the retail space below the condos. A new Italian restaurant is going to open in the vicinity. So I'm watching to see how good those will be.

When I visit Gainesville, I definitely get a feel of an intellectual, educated vibe from the people sitting in coffee shops, etc., but there are so many other things that turn me off to Gainesville. I wish I got that liberal, intellgent vibe in Lakeland, which I think is much prettier and cohesive as a city than Gainesville.

I hope the new USF campus in Lakeland could infuse a more intellectual, tolerant vibe in Lakeland, but don't know. I get the same feel in Jacksonville...of a conservative, uneducated atmosphere and they have a 14,000 student University of Florida there. There are many cool, hip places in Jacksonville, but there is an uneducated feel to it.

Then on the other hand, it is getting so hard to find places in Florida that are not totally taken over by cookie-cutters, with the McMansions being built in their historic neighborhoods, that I think Lakeland may be worth a gamble. As someone said to me, focus on finding friends who are in sync with you and the conservative won't seem so strong.

Well, rambling on, but this thread interested me as am struggling with where to move in Florida that has what I want without too much vulnerbility to the hurricanes.

Here's an off the wall factor---where I live in the country, I hear morning doves. When I was in Lakeland looking at a new craftsman-style house in the Dixie-land historic district, I heard morning doves cooing. I've said to myself, "Well, there you go...move where you can still hear morning doves. (Not sure, but don't think I've heard morning doves in north Florida).

Anyway, am hoping Lakeland will take off...it's showing signs.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:37 AM

I personally cannot wait to move to Lakeland. The more I read about it, the more excited I become.

Rox - that's funny about the morning doves. I know what you mean, I too look for certain signs of the right place, especially when it comes to nature and wildlife.

The thing that encourages me most, is that I see Lakeland following the same path as Asheville, NC - which has morphed into a very cool, hip, tolerant and vibrant place. But 15 years or so ago it was a boarded up, Appalachian mountain town with nothing going for it but pretty scenery. A few artists started the scene with a couple galleries and coffee shops - and voila! This place is absolutely incredible now. And strangely - I was reading a downtown Lakeland article where they want to have a grocery there - and they started mentioning Asheville! Which tells me they are looking to this city as a model. Lakeland is working on getting more people to live downtown, creating more businesses, more festivals, etc.

Anyway, everyone has to find their own special place. As long as me and hubby have to live in Florida, I want a nice town with sense of community and real downtown, and we feel we found that in Lakeland.

Good luck to you all in your search for your own special place.

P.S. ROX - Asheville is an absolute foodie's paradise! (Hope Lakeland will follow suit!)

Old 05-17-2007, 08:57 AM

55 posts, read 286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Rox - that's funny about the morning doves. I know what you mean, I too look for certain signs of the right place, especially when it comes to nature and wildlife.
Wow - I thought I was the only one that got that strong vibe! Don't want to go off on a tangent to the thread but I can really relate to that. I'm not superstitous or anything but those sort of things always trigger me to thinking of a place as THE place.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:55 AM

148 posts, read 604,651 times
Default encouraging

love your comments, gypsychic and killaloe!

That's encouraging to hear Lakeland may be getting ideas from Asheville.
Read in The Ledger newspaper that Publix is going to open up 4 'green wise' stores...hope one will be in downtown Lakeland and done like a 'Wild Oats' store...just one that makes the visit to shop a total sensory/visual experience.
Maybe that is in the offing, based on your comment, gypsychic. Boy, if that's the case, I'm sold on Lakeland (for my needs, anyway).

Lakeland really does have a beautifull, well-planned downtown and many real neighborhoods to look into.

I may be wise to get in (after hurricane season passes), as a few years from now it may be so cool I'll be kicking myself for not taking a chance and trusting my hunches.

Best of worlds would be to get a base in Lakeland and spend hurricane season in Asheville, a foodie's paradise!

Old 05-18-2007, 08:37 AM

Rox - I don't know where Publix will be opening all their new Greenwise stores, but they do have a good selection of organics in their regular stores, especially the larger new stores. Also, I see from the web that there is a good sized natural food store in Lakeland called "Chamberlin's Market & Cafe" - are you familiar with this store? I want to check it out.

I am getting ready to spend a few months up in Asheville and when I come back to Fla. I am cleaning up my Dade City house and puttin' it on the market, 'cause it's LAKELAND OR BUST! LOL

I always trust my gut instincts about places, and have never been wrong. I have seen many omens that Lakeland should be our next Florida home. I figure any city with a swan as their logo has some high consciousness going on!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 33,825 times
I actually lived in Lakeland three years ago, and I never had any problems with anyone. (I am obviously gay in appearance!) I found that there was a tremendous amount of gay people that live there, and didn't have any problems meeting and making friends. I believe that it is still fairly inexpensive to live there. The Polo Club apartments off of exit 33 seemed to be a mecca, and had great looking apartments for a reasonable price. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida