Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:42 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,019 times

Advertisements

Ft Lauderdale used to rely on spring break to a point where when we all got older, we couldn't stand it anymore. Then Hurricane Andrew wiped all the sand off the beach in Lauderdale and a major renovation took place. While the renovation took place the politicians and police "heard" from the people that we no longer needed or wanted the spring break crowd.

Suddenly an open container law was passed and the chips started to fall for the breakers. They left, thankfully and Lauderdale became a major international destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 06:44 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Sunrico, are you being optimistic or pessimistic about the collapse of tourism as we know it? I seem to remember that you once said (and I'm exaggerating a bit) it was the root of all of Florida's problems.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Sunrico, are you being optimistic or pessimistic about the collapse of tourism as we know it? I seem to remember that you once said (and I'm exaggerating a bit) it was the root of all of Florida's problems.
I do believe that our extreme number of tourist can be a negative to areas that only depend on tourism. Look at the complains from central/South Florida about wages, quality of life, and some made connection to the crime situations. I'm a optimist most of the time and do believe that we the people can make changes to correct our errors if we do want to make changes. In this one I'm a pessimistic one and I do believe that I mentioned on a previous thread that the lack of employment diversity will generate negative impact to the location.

Many small town do depend on tourism and the negative is very limited, but went an area is balanced versus the tourism or lack off this can severely damage the social and economic structure. I will rather avoid the location by all means possible.

Now I do visit St Augustine 3 or 4 times a year and I love the area, but is a small town that has developed a balanced enviroment and they city and community controls the town....

Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Ft Lauderdale used to rely on spring break to a point where when we all got older, we couldn't stand it anymore. Then Hurricane Andrew wiped all the sand off the beach in Lauderdale and a major renovation took place. While the renovation took place the politicians and police "heard" from the people that we no longer needed or wanted the spring break crowd.

Suddenly an open container law was passed and the chips started to fall for the breakers. They left, thankfully and Lauderdale became a major international destination.
I think you are off on that a little it was over long before Andrew. Those laws were passed around 1985 and by 1989 it was all but completely finished with fewer then 20,000 students. Down from over 350,000 in past years. This year I believe they said we will have around 10,000 about the annual average now.

It ended so quick like the turning of a switch and other cities campaigned to get it. Daytona officials actually came here to get an idea how to go about attracting them to their city and what to expect. Local officials told them they would be sorry but they went ahead with the plan. Whether they have been sorry I don't know.

Except for maybe a few bar owners most locals were glad to see it go, at a point it was completely out of control. Now with the drug culture and all, it's wholesome original nature was long long gone. In the end half here weren't even students, just wackos and nut cases figuring this was the place to be to raise hell.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
I think you are off on that a little it was over long before Andrew. Those laws were passed around 1985 and by 1989 it was all but completely finished with fewer then 20,000 students. Down from over 350,000 in past years. This year I believe they said we will have around 10,000 about the annual average now.

It ended so quick like the turning of a switch and other cities campaigned to get it. Daytona officials actually came here to get an idea how to go about attracting them to their city and what to expect. Local officials told them they would be sorry but they went ahead with the plan. Whether they have been sorry I don't know.

Except for maybe a few bar owners most locals were glad to see it go, at a point it was completely out of control. Now with the drug culture and all, it's wholesome original nature was long long gone. In the end half here weren't even students, just wackos and nut cases figuring this was the place to be to raise hell.
How bad is it now for spring break?

Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This can also reduce our tourism: tour boat filled with riders began taking on water in alligator infested water. One stranded passenger said they were all very scared and they even spotted alligators by the boat. Investigators say there were no life jackets on the boat. Right now the cruise ride is closed down.

Should the owners be fined and evaluated so they maintain safety standards?
Too bad it wasn't a special tour boat for Team Metro inspectors...LOL I am amazed that there could be a boat without life rafts or life jackets, very strange.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,191,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
How bad is it now for spring break?
It is all but nonexistent, you don't even know they are here except for a few fresh sunburns you see in the grocery store. The convention center brings more people on a weekly bases then the number of students and those visitors rent cars stay in beach front hotels leaving a lot of money behind week after week. Forget about the students, the Air and Sea show brings over a Million people here in one week end. (coming up soon by the way and worth coming to. I watch it from my house). Trump isn't investing in Fort Lauderdale for no reason. Fort Lauderdale made it past the hump and the lean times and is on the verge of seeing what they have been working towards come to pass.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
Default found the article

i THINK the two were having an argument. the shooter was a discharged navy sailor, who was in daytona with several other navy sailors. the navy sailor was looking for him, knocking on motel doors until he found who he was looking for. what a tragedy.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:19 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times
If parents are that scared over a random incident, they should just keep the kids home.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
If parents are that scared over a random incident, they should just keep the kids home.
What about areas as Orlando that has so many crime issues, will this get more people to leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida