Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times

Advertisements

Is this a concern in your county? Santa Rosa County is looking at the tax reform and planning for the future...

With millions of dollars on the line, some local leaders may be forced to take drastic steps to preserve their bottom lines. Santa Rosa County Commissioners could be faced with major budget cuts... If state lawmakers pass drastic property tax reform laws. Commissioners are already discussing what services to trim... They could vote Thursday on an immediate hiring freeze.. and they may ask county departments to cut their budgets by twenty percent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 06:37 AM

60 posts, read 211,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
.................................................. ..................
Commissioners are already discussing what services to trim........ and they may ask county departments to cut their budgets by twenty percent.........

And this should be done taxes or not! Maybe a little less spending, cut out the freebes and stop helping support people that have made careers out of welfare and the counties, states etc wouldnt even need all the tax moneys they now get. Until these issues are dealt with, we will get nowhere.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:13 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,077 times
Most county budgets are full of pork and extravagance . And that bloated spending is done with tax dollars forcibly taken from home owners under threat of property confiscation.

Yet the county politicos cry outrage if they have to tighten their budget even when the taxpayer is floundering under abusive property taxes.

All govt workers are supposed to be public servants serving the taxpayer, not the other way around. They can tighten their belt like everybody else does in hard times.

I bet if they got rid of all the pork and top heavy consultants and cronies in the county budget, they would not have to cut services at all. Most of this is scare tactics like they tried in California before prop 13. California survived quite well on a 1 percent tax rate for property taxes. Florida property tax rate is twice that. We should do what Calif did and ignore the caterwauling of the politicians.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:30 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I say cut them off! Most of the money spent by the county is wasted. When was the last time a county employee did a better job than private business? The counties with the most money have the worst services. PERIOD!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:06 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,191,570 times
It's about time the State and Local governments have a hiring freeze. I only regret that the tax cuts aren't deep enough to where city and county managers actually are forced to caugh up head count to meet budget! Well, it's a start.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Lightbulb Florida House OKs Property Tax Relief, Sales Tax Hike

The Republican-controlled Florida House voted largely along party lines Wednesday for a measure that would swap homeowner property tax relief for higher sales taxes.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 04:39 AM..

Old 04-18-2007, 07:12 PM

121 posts, read 504,160 times
Good deal it is about time.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
I need some translation about this property tax vs sales tax. I can't say I understand it. I know many in Florida are in favor of chopping the property tax. However, property taxes are deductible. That helps me. Sales tax has been deductible the last couple of years but it won't continue to be. So where are we gaining in terms of tax deductions.

I'm not that thick but this one has me kinda confused.

Also, what would the property tax be on any properties above your primary?

Old 04-18-2007, 08:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,969 times
I am so glad for all of you !!!

It's about time.

Sunrico, don't answer this if you do not want to but did the taxes get to this point by a vote of those same people?

They all need to be held accountable for their vote, all of you need to know who voted to raise them the first time and who voted this time to finally put an end to the madness.

I was hoping this would come soon, I have read about them talking about this bill but nothing was done.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,604 times
Something needs to be done. I was looking at the tax/property appraisers online info for my house because they will be sending out the 2006 bills soon. The value of my home is going UP from $392K from the 2005 appraisal, to $425K for 2006, while everybody has agreed it seems that the top of the market was July 2005, why are values going up when sales and the sale prices are going down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida