Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM

80 posts, read 177,210 times

Advertisements

Tourism is the number 1 industry. FL is also number 1 in food stamp recipients. But your right, that isnt everyone's situation. Everyone's situation is different, the folks in FL just seem to be struggling more than any other state, although I'd bet WV is up there too, but that is always the case - no industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
Why do you think that is? I know that just because I change demographics would not all of the sudden make me lazy. I have heard this more than once. I actually need to be busy or I don't feel like I'm accomplishing things. I'm a little crazier than I'd like to be with all the layoffs at my job, but still I'm happy I have work.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:42 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
I am not lazy at work. I HATE sitting around doing nothing where the time passes by tick tock, tick tock. My leisure time is another matter. I don't want to do anything here. It takes all my strenght to just go out (85 degrees and 85% humidity in MARCH) and do what I have to do.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:27 PM

I aint gonna lie, today's weather sucked. I was like "Oh, no. Summer is around the corner." I was outside a lot today, and it was brutal. 88 or 89 degrees with very high humidity. It felt like our 5 or 6 month long summer's days that we experience day after day, but it's BARELY April! It's too early to be feeling this heat and humidity!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae the Chef View Post
I aint gonna lie, today's weather sucked. I was like "Oh, no. Summer is around the corner." I was outside a lot today, and it was brutal. 88 or 89 degrees with very high humidity. It felt like our 5 or 6 month long summer's days that we experience day after day, but it's BARELY April! It's too early to be feeling this heat and humidity!
U crazy? This is why many of us live here!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I will take 88 over 39 anyday!

I wish I was there so I could go outside for the first time in 6 months.

Jobs----

Stop importing everything we need. Time to go back to the Industrial nation that build our towns, cities and the things we need.

We will never have a good job market without manufacturing jobs. I saw many small towns in Ohio go from boom to being deserted and building falling down all over the place because of -------you got it --- FOREIGN IMPORTS

While we are seeing China buy up America with our money America is looking like this because of imports.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/SunnyDays90/steelmillsohio.jpg (broken link)

This AMERICAN factory had 4,000 employees at one time. Now look at it.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
globalization isn't working... we are exploiting other countries, and undermining our own country...

I have been screaming this for awhile, maybe some others that lost their jobs now will understand...

I work in IT and this has been happening for about the last decade. Not only do we outsource them, we import H1Bs!

All these CS degrees can be doing engineering/manufacturing type high level jobs too... but, they are gone now as well. Skilled artisans for quality goods are also on the decline. US needs to refine itself a bit and get back to quality over quantity, and quality of life over money in the bank. The FIAT system is not stable and you just saw it crash. They are just going to inflate everything and make you worth less now.

All these people who aren't book smart and working crappy jobs can be trained as apprentices and learn difficult trades, crank out a little muscle and exert themselves for the same bucks as somebody behind a desk.... not happening so much anymore either.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 PM

I just dont see manufacturing coming back, at least not in a way that employs millions of americans.

your avg american simply isnt willing to pay the prices that would be needed to pay for them.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I think we have enough of those days as it is. We dont need it as early as April 2nd. Am I crazy? NO. I think anyone who enjoys (and moves here) to be in 90 degree temps with nearly 100% humidity for more than half the year is crazy. You and I both know that that isnt comfortable weather. Why not get all 4 seasons is small doses, rather than going from shoveling snow, to the complete opposite of constant heat and humidity. I was born here, I didnt move for the weather, but I think anyone would have to be lying to say they enjoy that brutal of temps and humidity levels.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:54 PM

I moved here thinking it would never get below 80. Boy was I disappointed.

as for humidity, doesn't bug me to much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida