Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:03 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,330 times

Advertisements

I remember when I was young going to a place called The Rascal House. I can't remember if it was in Hollywood or not. Heck I'm not sure if its still there. They had the best food, nothing fancy, and the biggest desserts. There was another place near the old Howard Johnsons across from Pompano Beach or Deerfield Beach which was a Chinese Buffett, I think the name was Imperial Gardens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:13 PM

110 posts, read 550,143 times
During our many family vacations to Florida while growing up, 2 restaurants come to mind. I remember some of the original Red Lobster Restaurants were in Florida. It seems to me that the food at the time was much better than the schlock the chain serves today. Perhaps it was the tastes of a teenager. I do remember they served Rock Shrimp. The second was Morrison's Cafeteria. Both were mandatory stops when visiting Florida after our long drive from NJ. This was of course after stopping at South of the Border in Dillon, South Carolina.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
According to the Chowhound crew, the Rascal House has a couple different SE Florida locations over the years, and at one time had multiple restaurants operating at once. The last location closed not too long ago, maybe 2007ish?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I remember when I was young going to a place called The Rascal House. I can't remember if it was in Hollywood or not. Heck I'm not sure if its still there. They had the best food, nothing fancy, and the biggest desserts. There was another place near the old Howard Johnsons across from Pompano Beach or Deerfield Beach which was a Chinese Buffett, I think the name was Imperial Gardens.
The Rascal House was one of my faves too. When I was young I was super skinny and all the elderly ladies who worked there used to make such a fuss over me and I loved every minute of it. It was like being spoiled by a dozen grandmas and you can't ask for more than that.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:12 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,496 times
An old restaurant, but still open is the Homestead in Jacksonville. One of my faves!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 AM

809 posts, read 2,315,966 times
This might not go as far back as many of you are mentioning, but on South beach, around the late 80's to maybe 1991, ther used to be 2 delicious restaurants which club goers and families alike used to frequent. one was Don't Say Sandwich to me. This place was perfect for those 3 am munchies. Any sanwich imaginable was available, plus all the assoprted fried stuffs (onion rings, mozarella sticks, etc). Another place was Lulu's. There was no better place than Lulu's to get your favorite southern dish: Country fried steak with white gravy, mac and cheese, meatloaf, okra,. They even used to serve Elvis' notorious sandwich!
good times!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
The Rascal House was one of my faves too. When I was young I was super skinny and all the elderly ladies who worked there used to make such a fuss over me and I loved every minute of it. It was like being spoiled by a dozen grandmas and you can't ask for more than that.
Thats the place. I remember the portions were huge, and loving a slice of Lemon Meringue Pie for dessert.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:52 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,857 times
I'm going to be heading to the Port Canaveral area on Thursday. Any favorite restaurants in the area? We like a bit of everything. Also, the Cocoa beach area.

Been to Grill's once. It was good. any thoughts? thanks

Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 PM

110 posts, read 550,143 times
Arrow Restaurant Recommendations

As far as restaurants, I am more familiar with those in Cocoa Beach. Understand that Beach Side, there are no great restaurants. The food is going to be much more basic. If you want to have fresh fish, The Fat Snook and Pompano Grill are your best bets. They are clearly the best restaurants in Cocoa Beach. At least the fish is well cooked and not fried till cremation. I have had some very good dishes at both.

I have a soft spot for Jack Baker's Lobster Shanty. It is an old time Florida restaurant. The menu consists of a lot of stuffed, fried seafood with a salad bar. The meal was started with fresh corn fritters. It is a throw back to an old time. The view on the Banana River at Sunset is wonderful. The early bird specials are cheap enough to make you wonder how they turn a profit. There is a mass of Catfish feeding off the dock. It was entertaining. They eat corn fritters, cole slaw, you name it. Don't go expecting a modern dining experience. Enjoy the old time food and the view at sunset.

Avoid the Florida Seafood and Coconuts on the Beach. The Florida Seafood and Grill is crowded, loud and thought the food was not as good as Jack's Lobster Shanty. Yen Yen is a decent Chinese Restaurants. Gregory's is reportedly good but I have not been there yet. Roberto's Little Havana can be good if you like Cuban Food. Hope that helps. I'll be returning to Cocoa Beach in April and can update you on any restaurants we visit at that time.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:17 PM

606 posts, read 1,978,401 times
Default My Favs, some still open, some not.

Vero Beach, The Patio; Ft. Lauderdale, Dan Dowds Steak House; Chokoloskee, The Oyster House; Clewiston, The Clewiston Inn and Southern Fried Chicken; Miami Beach, Joe's Stone Crabs; Miami, Shorty's and Flynn's Dixie Ribs; North Miami Beach, Cliffords . . . there was a Cuban restaurant in the sponge district of Tampa. Can't remember the name, but they had the BEST Spanish Bean Soup. My father always made it a point to stop there when visiting friends in Safety Harbor.

What I wouldn't give for some stone crabs!!! I've been without for close to 20 years!! Almost worth a trip back . . . ALMOST!

Tracey
Northwestern NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida