Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:46 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
Well I wasn't gonna include guns, b/c it can be a controversial topic too, but that's why I highlighted "responsibly" in bold print. I think truck nuts are freakin' funny! There's a lot more for Floridians to worry about then someone putting testicles on their truck. It's pretty harmless. But child abductions, senseless acts of violence which are pretty widespread, the economy, lack of jobs, and property taxes are a concern.

But if you dont wanna answer the question, no problem. I just think it's kind of odd to talk down about a place or poke fun (which obviously is what you were doing), but then mentioning "God" in it. Just caught me off guard. Sorry if you meant nothing by it.

Got nothin' against God-- any of them, from the Abrahamic one to Zeus, Odin, Shiva et al. Certain of the former's followers ::coughRondaStormscough:: I do find endlessly amusing though.

The economy, property taxes, and joblessness aren't things that are specifically germane to a thread about the ideal location for a 29yo single gay individual, though. I'm guessing if they had been, the title would be "I'm 29, single, and want low property taxes, how would I fare in Lakeland?"

Oh-- and ftr, I drive a pickup, sans adornment. Some guy at Lowe's called it a "girly truck"-- maybe 'cause it doesn't have testicles? <ggg>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 04:07 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Got nothin' against God-- any of them, from the Abrahamic one to Zeus, Odin, Shiva et al. Certain of the former's followers ::coughRondaStormscough:: I do find endlessly amusing though.

The economy, property taxes, and joblessness aren't things that are specifically germane to a thread about the ideal location for a 29yo single gay individual, though. I'm guessing if they had been, the title would be "I'm 29, single, and want low property taxes, how would I fare in Lakeland?"

Oh-- and ftr, I drive a pickup, sans adornment. Some guy at Lowe's called it a "girly truck"-- maybe 'cause it doesn't have testicles? <ggg>
I have no idea what all the means, and dont care to research it, but whatever floats your boat

Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 PM

343 posts, read 1,045,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
"the land of God, guns, and pickups"

Do you find something wrong with God or pickups? Or even guns if used responsibly (protection, hunting)

Taken completely out of context.

God, guns, and pickups. That's a pretty good description of rural north Florida. Churches on every corner, lots of people drive trucks and own guns. Lots of these people are also fairly intolerant of progressive society.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:34 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,889,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Culturally Florida overall is not even a hiccup compared to Chicago.
Florida is the cultural equivalent of.... well... really.. there is none so there's really nowhere to compare it to..

If you're gay and want to be happy and in Florida I would suggest the Keys and Orlando. If I were gay and moving to Florida, Polk County would be the LAST place I'd look.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
God, guns, and pickups. That's a pretty good description of rural north Florida. Churches on every corner, lots of people drive trucks and own guns. Lots of these people are also fairly intolerant of progressive society.
I'm a somewhat religious person, I drive a truck and own guns and I'm married to a black women who's three best friends are all vibrantly, openly, gay males... You shouldn't stereotype.

I would understand if you said a lifted truck on mudtires with confederate flags plastered up and down the body/windows and an array of shotguns. People that drive trucks, worship god, and own a gun or two are not automatically racist rednecks.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I'm a somewhat religious person, I drive a truck and own guns and I'm married to a black women who's three best friends are all vibrantly, openly, gay males... You shouldn't stereotype.

I would understand if you said a lifted truck on mudtires with confederate flags plastered up and down the body/windows and an array of shotguns. People that drive trucks, worship god, and own a gun or two are not automatically racist rednecks.
Yeh I'm extremely socially liberal to the point of not fitting in with the south, not very religious though, and if you would have seen me 2 years ago my gf was Iraqi also with a lot of gay friends. But, I am very pro responsible gun use. I have 3 myself...a Remington 870, a Glock 19 and an M4 carbine...(most people freak over this one) and have a concealed weapons license.
My aunt is a volvo driving super liberal lawyer, and she also has a concealed weapon.
My stepdad was in air force, and dad just grew up HAVING to hunt to put a food on the plate, so learned to use guns at an early age.

I've NEVER been hunting...I just can't shoot an animal and have gone through a few vegetarian/pescatarian stages. I use them responsibly and go to shooting range from time to time. If I found myself in a survival situation though, I wouldn't feel scared or anything, and I put myself in these situations from time to time on pretty remote camping trips.

Some people in Cali think I'm crazy to have guns or want to own them... I think they are just misinformed. I'm really against any type of nanny state laws, want to put lots of filing paperwork and background checks though? no problem at alll...

So yeah people try to group lots of things together but often they are not. There ARE a lot of good normal people in the south, you just notice the redneck in the mud swamping truck much more when he peels out in front of you blasting 50 cent.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:50 PM

Not to get political but in response to your post, People fail to realize that if you take guns from the people, The only people that will be able to have them are the police ( scary thought ) the military, and criminals that have ways to get them on the blackmarket.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:38 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I would imagine the OP has formed an impression on Lakeland by now. Its probably not a very good one either. One would really need to visit and form their own impressions when deciding to move far from home. I think Lakeland is a nice city, sort of a self contained city which is nearby to much bigger cities.

I do think though that life there for a gay person could be difficult, especially if one is not from there and has no roots there. Im sure it could be done if the right amount of friends and enviroments were found, and one could feel accepted for just being themselves. Actually that is how it should be.

A visit of some length is really the only way to tell. In all honesty though until America gets over itself, and Im being polite on that one. A place like Lakeland as nice as it is in many ways, would pose a challenge to a gay person new in town and on their own.

Give Lakeland a visit for as long as you can. Look the region over, meet as many people as you can, ask as many questions as you can. Perhaps in all of that your decision will be an easy one. I hope you like it there. Like I said it is a nice smaller city in many ways.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Not to get political but in response to your post, People fail to realize that if you take guns from the people, The only people that will be able to have them are the police ( scary thought ) the military, and criminals that have ways to get them on the blackmarket.
I'm with you here... I think the best gun control/gun ownership country in the world is Switzerland.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:00 PM

13 posts, read 32,583 times
Well... I was looking for some candid responses, and it looks like I got them! Many thanks!

Just to clarify further, I don't know if I will make this move or not. I work as a scientist now, and the job opening in Lakeland is a similar function, just with a different company. I would never move somewhere without a job lined up, and I haven't even gotten an interview yet. If I don't get the job, I'm staying put (at least for now). I don't NEED to move to Florida, but at times it does sound appealing, especially after a God-awful winter like this past one! So, I'm just exploring a potential opportunity that recently came up, and I want to get an idea of what I may be getting myself into.

I know that most places in America (with a few possible exceptions) won't have the cultural opportunities of Chicago. But I live an hour away from the city, so I don't always get to take advantage of it anyway. Plus, I'm not one of those people that craves the fast pace of a huge city.

The prospective job would be near the Lakeland Municipal Airport. So, to have a reasonable (say, less than 45 minute) commute, it looks like Lakeland or Tampa would be the only viable options. Any suitable places between Lakeland and Tampa, perhaps?

Looks like Lakeland is a bit of a mixed bag. I'm not scared of moving to a smaller city; like I said, I grew up in one. Maybe I would like it if I lived in the right part of town. Nevertheless, it looks like Tampa might be a better bet, if only because there would (likely) be a larger concentration of professional 20- and 30- somethings, and therefore there might be more opportunities to meet new people and make friends. Am I right? If so, any recommendations within that city? I don't need to live in THE COOLEST part of town, just an area where I might meet some people close to my age. Commute time, crime/safety, and the price of a 1br apartment are also important factors. (Then again, maybe those questions should be asked in the Tampa forum.)

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida