Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:47 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Gainesville gets really cold in the winter, dropping into the 20s/30s regularly, so you'll actually be using the heater after Thanksgiving to February. In the Summer though, it's like the rest of the East Coast, it's hot, so you'll definitely be using the A/C.
"Really cold" is relative. Gainesville experiences a true winter for about a month and a half. The coldest it generally gets during this time is around 30. In March and April you can probably keep your windows open, but end of April, beginning of May is when the humidity starts climbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:54 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
I pretty much agree. Gainesville is entirely centered around and caters to college students. That's what you get in a small college town. There are many towns like Gainesville across the country. I personally am not from Gainesville, I was only there for school. I wouldn't want to grow old in a town like that, simply because of how the town is. Young, full of young people, nothing for older people to do. Hell, I'm in my late 20's and already feel too old for Gainesville.

At any rate, when you move to a large city, you can see what some people like about Gainesville. The college atmosphere appeals to a lot of people, especially alumni. Everything most people need is just a short trip away, even if it is "across town." The schools are decent, at least on the west side of town, and there are enough churches to cater to a city 50 times its size.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to live there long term, as the traffic, boredom, and especially the weather really got to me after five years, but to some it's worth the sacrifice.
There are various suburbs in the NW part of that that are not crowded at all and you can make the commute to UF in 20 minutes.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:27 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyg44 View Post
Well, my fiance is going to be going to UF and we just bought a small house in NW Gainesville. Anyway, I had a few questions about some things, so if you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it! =)

1. What are the good cable (internet + TV) companies? I'm in Jersey now and it seems that the main companies we have here (Optimum/Cablevision, Verizon) do not cover the Gainesville area? We'd be looking for a cost effective plan, for cable/internet/phone most likely. What are the big companies there that offer good services?
When I lived in Gainesville I used Direct TV-more stations for less money. The only downfall is that when it pours, there is no TV reception.

2. My fiance wants to get an alarm system installed before she moves in, and we were looking around at some of the bigger companies that you pay 40+ a month for etc. Are there any cheaper services other than ADT and the big companies that are still good systems to have?
$40 is basic for the alarm service-maybe try Brinks as well?

3. Is it absolutely necessary to have the central air on? Would it be cool enough in the Spring/Fall with fans? I'm guessing in the summer we would have no choice, but we'd like to conserve as much as possible!
During the Spring you can get away with it, but the summer there is NO way! Remember, Gainesville is swamp and it gets very muggy and hot. With no coastal winds coming from the ocean, you would regret not turning on your ac.

That's it for now, I know I'm forgetting something! Thanks so much for your help.
I lived in the NW part of Gainesville and I don't think you need an alarm system, I didn't have one. It's a better part of Gainesville and away from University. It may be around SFCC, but there isn't half of anything going on as there is around university.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
I have to say I completely agree with you here. This is why after 3 yrs. of living there I HAD to get out. It is a college town with low pay (usually) and not much to do. Sure, they have bars and clubs (crappy ones that the college kids gather at) but nothing for anyone who is older than the college age. Gainesville has been in the top 5 ranking for college party city for a long time and this is about as far as this place goes. I will never move back. I hate even going there for a visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
As a life long resident of this city -- I'll give you my $0.002 worth.

Gainesville; after 30 you feel like you're locked in a time warp. Complete boredom and everyone is either married, obese or moved on. I know because I am born and reared in G'ville and every time I go back I get sever depression. The town is young, cheap and nothing to do for people over 30... if you're over 40 it's worse! And if you're still single over 50, you might as well throw in the towl and jump off a bridge.

I don't know one famous, highly successful man or woman, who, once they moved away from G'ville; they never came back to live again, nor buy a 2nd home, or even a vacation. The only time they come back is if their kid(s) is/are at UF.

Gainesville is, and always will be a small college town with very little development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: