Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Florida: real estate, first home, homeowner's insurance, condo, foreclosure help.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:28 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,190,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Isn't there going to be a wildlife park somewhere near or in Walton County?

In terms of industry, other than agriculture, seems like paper/lumber mills were about it, though we do have that yucky Arizona Chemical down the road (another pine-related industry).

I went by our storage facility today (where most of our worldly possessions patiently wait) to pay our bill for April. I had an interesting talk with the owner of the place. He himself lives in Georgia, but owns property here.
This area is where he was hoping to retire, but he's waiting to see how it goes; he can barely get by as it is now with taxes and insurance. He says most of his customers are in exactly the same position he is.
Me, I can't wait much longer. We probably should, it hasn't even been two years yet. But I'm having a tough time with the renting situation.
The wild life park is to be just south of Chipley I think in Washington county. It has been talked about to a while but seems to be for real. The other stuff I was talking about is also in the same I-10 area. A couple of votes on development have taken place and passed. It seems they are anxious for development up that way. They are tired of be nowhere and depressed.

I am sure long time locals who like things the way they are will not like it, but new comers will be happy. Jobs, nicer weather, nicer way of life, easy accessibility to the rest of the country, south Florida is like being on an island. As well as your investment won't be worthless, values will go up. This may be the new frontier of Florida, just as central Florida was 35 years ago and worth looking into for a young person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 12:41 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,212,994 times
imo, prices will remain the same, and in a couple yrs or so, i expect them to increase, atleast where i am in east orlando. why not buy now when prices are cheaper? this is fla, ppl will move here, and the demand will remain high. just my opinion

Old 03-31-2007, 12:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Coach, I have been keeping track of condos in a couple different areas of Fla. for several months now. Many of them are still on the market and some have dropped their prices. There are a couple who aren't listed anymore, but they're not on the site with a "SOLD" marking on them. They may have been pulled off the market for the present. Will it continue? I don't know and I'm not sure anyone truly knows for sure. The articles I've been reading indicate that the housing market will continue decreasing for the year 2007. I'm referencing articles in Florida online newspapers. National news also indicates that the prices will be on a downhill slide for this year. Many cities have at least an 18 month supply of houses and some even more. Guess it's actually a game of chance cause who knows what will happen by 2008.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:47 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,474 times
*IF* I buy a house it won't be until after hurricane season '08. I still believe we are at the beginning of a real estate crash.

Last edited by Muggy; 03-31-2007 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,308 times
Even though many may not want to hear it, I agree with Muggy. From all the research that I've done, as well as the pattern which I am observing, I think up until Oct. or Nov. of 2008 prices will continue to go down. I think that we are now nearing the middle of the downward cycle which began last year. In 2006 it was more of stablilization period, where in 2007 is where we will probably see the biggest decrease in home values.

I think in 2008, barring any major hurricanes, home sales and maybe prices will stabilize again and may increase slightly towards the end of the year. Homeowners insurance as well as property tax issues will play a role and dictate the market as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida