Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 PM

89 posts, read 280,695 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have posted on this forum before and have found such great info.

Here is my current situation:

1 - I have lived in Clermont, Florida for 3 years now. While I like the scenary that is about all I like. I am a mom of 2 boys; ages 12 and 9 and the schools for middle and high school suck!!!!! There is so many problems here it is unbelievable.

2 - Prices are highly inflated... this is quite a new area so everything around is new and beautiful, but cost of living in unbelievable. Ex: today I went to buy a pack of boneless chicken 5 pieces $18 I nearly died!!!

3 - This summer I am graduating from College; and I have been offered two job positions for the upcoming year... As a teacher. One in Pinnelas County Florida, Brevard County near Melbourne/Viera area, and one in Kissimmee Florida. Just so you know these are the districts I applied to since they have the best pay scale and most affordable family insurance. I just don't know anything about these areas...

4- PROBLEM; I only have 3 months to figure out what job I will take. My family and I have truly struggled with life here in FL since we came from the north. My husband is ready to pick up and leave; but I don't want to quite just yet. Not sure if I am making the right decision???

His job has offered him relocation options to Raleigh, Seattle, or California but none back home to New York . I am so scard to pick up and move and put my children threw more changes and what if it doesn't work??? What if the schools are in the same condition?? Ex: My sons elementary school has 1600 hundred kids

PLEASE HELP WITH OPINIONS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
Seattle and California are going to have a lot higher cost of living than in Clermont. You may want to check out Raleigh on the NC forum.

As far as the other areas of Florida, you really need to check them out -- take at least a weekend for each and that probably still won't be long enough. Do a search on this forum for the other FL cities you mentioned. I'm sure you'll find +/- on each of them.

I'm sorry your experience in Clermont hasn't been so positive -- guess we're lucky that we bought here 15 years ago. I've heard good and bad about the schools, but all public schools in Florida need an upgrade. However, there are fewer people moving with kids now. Also, Lake Co. had to revise their school plans because there were fewer enrolled at the beginning of this school year than expected.

Where on earth did you shop for 5 pieces of chicken for $18?? I've never seen it that expensive in any of the stores here.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
I'd say either Pinellas (because I'm familiar with it and some of the school system is pretty good), or move to Raleigh....

Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Fl Tn Nana

Thanks so much for the info... As for buying 15 years ago...WOW you are very lucky... Prices for housing is threw the roof now. As for the chicken that was at Publix at the Citrus Tower Blvd. I am telling you I nearly died. I ended up with a pack of 4 pieces for $13; that really broke the camels back...

Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
I'm still shocked at 5 pieces of chicken for $18!!! Was it premade and cooked?! I just bought some at Publix a few days ago for like, $5 or $6!!

But, if you're looking for good affordability, you might want to check out moving to Melbourne. As I understand, the "Space Coast" is still much more affordable than much of the rest of the state.... and I don't hear too many people complaining about the area they way they do in South Florida! If you're going to be working in Viera, you might have good housing options in Palm Bay, Rockledge, or Melbourne itself. Don't know much about the schools there, though I did go to college with a girl from Rockledge and she wasn't under-educated, lol.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 AM

105 posts, read 391,429 times
sunsky, I left West Palm Beach for Raleigh last year and never looked back. VERY affordable, wonderful schools, and the crime is OK. Booming area. I was a little reluctant at first but it was the best for my family.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:31 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd01 View Post
sunsky, I left West Palm Beach for Raleigh last year and never looked back. VERY affordable, wonderful schools, and the crime is OK. Booming area. I was a little reluctant at first but it was the best for my family.
Oh, they have, like, cool crime there???

Old 04-25-2007, 07:13 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I'm not familiar with Raleigh, but do own a second home in NC. I have heard WONDERFUL things about Raleigh - good education and colleges, very affordable homes and cost of living and pretty good cultural amenities in the triangle area. I really think that may be your best bet until Florida overcomes this rough patch it's going through right now. Also, in Raleigh you won't have to worry much about hurricanes - pretty nice climate, mild 4 seasons, winter not too cold, summer not too long. California and Seattle are some of the highest cost of living areas in the country to live.

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 AM

Default North Carolina...

I have heard so much about North Carolina too; more + than - for sure. The only issue is that I am worried about the school system there. A lot of people complain about the school system there too; that they are struggling with major overcrowding and government issues as well. I am not sure how true that is though???

Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 PM

15 posts, read 61,266 times
id rather eat fish or shrimp for that price!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida