Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 PM

176 posts, read 510,659 times

Advertisements

Hello, I know this isnt the Vero Beach forum but I've posted twice on there and cant get a single answer and need help bad. Is anyone familiar with that area? I recieved a offer and have to move there this summer so I've been looking at towns along the treasure coast and came upon Vero Beach. Now I dont really know much about it I have done a bit of research on the stats of the town but really need info from domeone whos lived there/area or been to that area often. Im a young women with a family kinda just starting out if you would. Some of the things im looking for in a place is low crime, family friendly, activities for the whole family, and some what decent job market. I know that the economy is terrible and I know what im getting myself into but I cannot pass up this oppertunity. My husband has'nt been as lucky as me in finding employment so he will have to find something to at least start with there. Im not buying right off so I will be renting and want a cheap rent or at least decent, I found very cheap apartments in Vero Beach now im sceptical of these is there anything I should look out for. As in apartment complexs that are not the nicest to say the least. Is there a "ghetto" in Vero Beach? How are the people do the welcome "outsiders"? Hows the traffic? whats the nearest city and how far away is it? Im not meaning to stereo type but what type of people live in vero Beach? Hows the shopping there im not looking for high end but things like walmart target and little shops that are great for window shopping? Im sorry this is so long but im so lost and cant get answers anywhere all I can find is that its a nice place quite and thats about it. If anyone has any type of info I'll take it includeing websites I really appreciate your time and effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
Hello, I know this isnt the Vero Beach forum but I've posted twice on there and cant get a single answer and need help bad. Is anyone familiar with that area? I recieved a offer and have to move there this summer so I've been looking at towns along the treasure coast and came upon Vero Beach. Now I dont really know much about it I have done a bit of research on the stats of the town but really need info from domeone whos lived there/area or been to that area often. Im a young women with a family kinda just starting out if you would. Some of the things im looking for in a place is low crime, family friendly, activities for the whole family, and some what decent job market. I know that the economy is terrible and I know what im getting myself into but I cannot pass up this oppertunity. My husband has'nt been as lucky as me in finding employment so he will have to find something to at least start with there. Im not buying right off so I will be renting and want a cheap rent or at least decent, I found very cheap apartments in Vero Beach now im sceptical of these is there anything I should look out for. As in apartment complexs that are not the nicest to say the least. Is there a "ghetto" in Vero Beach? How are the people do the welcome "outsiders"? Hows the traffic? whats the nearest city and how far away is it? Im not meaning to stereo type but what type of people live in vero Beach? Hows the shopping there im not looking for high end but things like walmart target and little shops that are great for window shopping? Im sorry this is so long but im so lost and cant get answers anywhere all I can find is that its a nice place quite and thats about it. If anyone has any type of info I'll take it includeing websites I really appreciate your time and effort.

Vero Beach has everything you need and mention. If you go to my profile hit see all posts, you can read the extensive things I've written about it here.

Did you use "search" on here? All this woulda come up too.

Sorry but some days people don't have a chance to answer general questions quickly.

YOu still havent given any details anyway. What apartments? We don't really have that many here anyway so ....and I rented a house not in a complex. With kids you may want to go that route there's tons of rentals here especially now after high season is over. Where will you be working? The city is only tiny, but the suburbs extend and go all the way up to Sebastian, 10 miles. Or south to Ft Pierce another 10 miles.

And no, there are NO JOBS here, he will likely need to commute elsewhere depending on what he's looking for. Piper builds planes here a job there would be excellent and they were hiring all last year for manufacturing. So is ATT down here if he wants to be an outside tech, a very good job.

We have all the shopping look west on the map. 6 miles west of the beach on 20th.

If you googled it you would have found Walmart, Target, a beautiful clean mall and strip shopping centers with everything that there is in other places. All the stores are clean and new and the Walmart is a super Walmart open 24 hrs.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-17-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Wait....did you say on another thread that you live in ORLANDO? LOL That's only 1.25 hours from here, I run up there all the time.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I'm not aware of any decent apartments in Vero though there will be plenty of homes for you to rent. Jobs barely exist unless you're in the medical field. Otherwise Vero is a lovely little City, picturesque, good shopping as far as basics go. If you need anything special you can go to W. Palm Beach, Orlando or Melbourne. I've no idea how Vero Beach stacks up for children and things for them to do though I hear the schools are very good.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks guys so much ecspecially you run, I havent googled it thats a good idea mostly I use Yahoo and I've been on the actual Vero Beach website. One more question if possible is there more familys there or singles? Again everyone thank you!!

Old 04-18-2009, 06:07 AM

Google vero beach/demographics. I'd say families are becoming more common in Vero as they move up and out of South Florida. Our neighborhood started off mostly retirees but as the homes sell off they're filling up with young families. Still, this said, it's mostly a retirement community.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
Thanks guys so much ecspecially you run, I havent googled it thats a good idea mostly I use Yahoo and I've been on the actual Vero Beach website. One more question if possible is there more familys there or singles? Again everyone thank you!!
Believe me there are PLENTY of families. (AND singles).... Last night (and I know better than to do this lol)....I was in Target, Publix and Walmart from about 8 till 10.

We have our traditional share of screaming kids in fact all those stores were filled with families some dragging five kids at once "shopping" LOL

YEP I avoid that like the plague it was just random that I needed something.

I strongly suggest renting a house if possible. A friend of mine tried to unload one of his properties on me last year and took me to 4 of them. All single houses in nice developments. ALL FOUR had tenants with kids ranging from babies to teenagers. It was west by the mall. It's only 15 minutes to the beach. All of the neighborhoods had a tennis court and basketball court, no strict HOA just enough to keep it clean and three had no pools or clubhouses which is usually what makes the HOA high and demanding. Three had gates no guards. All nicely landscaped and clean with "lakes" which are really retention basins but look nice.

I moved with my 7 year old to a townhouse in an upscale neighborhood in 1987 and expected alot of kids which is why I chose that place. NO KIDS. And the ones who were were not compatible and younger. A waste of money I should have just chosen the house I wanted in the neighborhood I wanted since I still had to do play dates or take him to my mom's neighborhood which had more kids.

Ot depends where you will be working. There are apartments on Indian River Blvd I've driven through them nothing scary or anything. IRB is closer to the beach by about 3 miles but I think you'd prefer west by the mall. Open spaces and less transient (if you wanna call it that but nowhere in Vero is really "bad"). It's more family like since the stores are there.

Retirees are a PLUS not a negative. They mind their business, keep the properties up and don't introduce alot of mess like mulitple dogs, trash outside, and kids running wild outside, etc. Of course you think it's good to be with kids and if yours are well behaved it is...but if the neighbors are not then it can be a nightmare LOL. Nice spring night sitting on your back porch and you hear high pitch screaming (especially girls ha ha) for two hours straight over nothing and the parents do nothing ...

West has alot of both new and 1970 type of houses in regular streets without "neighborhoods" per say and they are cheap in addition to the new ones in "neighborhoods"...all types of housing you can think of. Even nice townhouses and condos that you may not wanna buy but great to rent.

Just go on the sex offender site first and eliminate the existing streets that have offenders registered. They will not be near schools anyway. And don't go north past around 37th or so. There's nothing there and the iffy section starts in the 40's. Sex offenders will not be near schools either.

If you live in Orlando it's simple to drive here and check it out you can see everything pretty much in one day but need a couple days to get your bearings and decide on neighborhoods of course, there is alot of housing here to see. And you need to start with schools if you need them. If not then you can pick anywhere.

If you "pick" an area you can post it here and we can run by and give you our opinions. I"m pretty picky as you can see but being a mom I think I have a decent sense of if it's good for young families. IF I CAN SEE the residents. You dont see alot of kids playing outside in Florida from here down for some reason. Up North they are out all day and evening. Must be because of the heat or new culture of not playing outside only on computers.

I can't tell you how many times I flew down from Phila to Broward to see a potential rental that seemed perfect and when I got there the neighbors had crap all over like mattresses even on their front porches !!!!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-18-2009 at 06:48 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Thank you that helps. I live part time in Orlando for work im a consultant right now im in Maine and hateing it lol. Heres a couple apartment complexs I've been looking at there so cheap so im sceptical just not use to it I guess. Ones Indian River on 13th Place. Another is Kyles Run on 5th Ave. Also the Palms on 4th terrace. Also Pinnacle Grove on Woodland Circle. Just to name a few. I've heard that I should rent a house alot could you give me a round about price for a nice not anything too upscale but decent 2-3 bedroom with a small yard? Preferabley I would like to stay out of a HOA area because I've heard horrible things about them dont know how true they are but I've heard it alot. If I do have to go into a area that has a HOA whats an average price they charge. Whats the advantages and disadvantages of liveing in a HOA area? Also im haveing a hard time finding the closest airport would you happen to know where it is? Thank you so much for all of this you are a life saver!!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Closest airport is Orlando and West Palm Beach. Melbourne has limited flights, mostly to Atlanta and I think they just added Newark.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,999 times
Default Hope this helps

DONT DO IT!!!!! Especially if you have children you care about. The schools here are better than most in the state, but look first at the entire state's rung on the 50 step ladder. Public transportation is a joke. I moved here in 1994 thinking it would be a good place to raise a child from the city, but instead I found little to replace what we left behind and with the lower wages here I am stuck and can't get out. I will say that the place was pretty before the hurricanes of 2004, but not now and not with all of the hyped up destruction of groves for the real estate mfarket that has left "abando-minuims all up and down the avenues of "used to fly under the national radar Vero Beach". This place bites. No forward thinking, third generation landowners sellling out to speculators, no mfg, so no tax base. Even the Mets have moved away. Its getting too expensive to live here for the locals, jeez, even Key Wierd is less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida