Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 31,232 times

Advertisements

Looking To Move To Florida (somewhere Near Tampa) But I Have One Problem, I Have A 7 Year Old Son With Autism. Is There Any Schools In That Area For Autisic Children? Any Help Would Be Great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 01:59 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,982 times
Default Autism services in Tampa

Tampa is the home of the owner of the huge website, gfcfdiet.com (gluten free/casein free), the diet for autistic and other children. If you dig around on that web site, you may find a listing of autism support groups in the area you are looking to move to, and they will be EXTREMELY helpful. If you don't find what you need there, I would post your request on the Yahoo! Group, gfcfkids. If you're not a member, you will need to join for free. They have over 10,500 members on that Yahoo! Group. The group is mostly for healing/helping with the diet and medical aspects of autistic children, but you will find a LOT of responses to a request for information as to autism support groups who can help you find information on the education of your little one in the Tampa area. I live in Orlando, and am not plugged into the Hillsborough County/Tampa area, but I do know that they have a large group over there.

Finally, if all else fails, go to www.ucf-card.org. This is the Center for Autism and Related Disabilities at the University of Central Florida. There's one in Gainesville, and there may be one in Tampa, too, but I'm not sure about that. If you call them, they will tell you if there is a CARD organization in Hillsborough County, or if they can assist you. It is free to become a constituent. Check out the 102 page resource guide for further info too on autism-friendly docs. Click on "Resources" and then scroll down to "Resource Guide."

Last but not least, check out www.nacd.org. It is inspiring. My daughter is blind as well as autistic. Her services are beyond superior, thank you God.

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1 View Post
Looking To Move To Florida (somewhere Near Tampa) But I Have One Problem, I Have A 7 Year Old Son With Autism. Is There Any Schools In That Area For Autisic Children? Any Help Would Be Great.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 31,232 times
Thank You So Much For Your Help.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:33 AM

49 posts, read 180,016 times
Hi,

I live outside of Tampa in Pasco and have a child with Down Syndrome. There is an exclusive special needs school being planned on Curley Road in Wesley Chapel in about two years.

Whatever you do, be sure to educate yourself. I am hearing stories about Hillsborough county not hiring enough therapists. It's important to network with other families to stay on top of things.

Mariah

Old 11-18-2007, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 15,025 times
Default My autistic son...moving to Florida

Hello, I ALSO am moving to Florida & have a 7 year old son with Autism! however I am thinking of moving to the Orlando area. I really need to do research and find the right school for my son there before I would even consider making the move. The school here that he attends in Saginaw, MI is excellent!! it is a public school but they really cater to Autistic children. there are about 3 or 4 per class of 20. but there are many rescources , a sensory room and teachers and aids who work with all the autistic children. There is even an Autism director there. I hate to take him out of the school. this is his 1st year in public school and he is doing well with the big change from a school with 5 kids per class....to 20 some! I know he would do well staying there but I need to move to orlando. Someone please help. are there public schools in Orlando like this one?? I notice someone who replied to this posting said they were from Orlando. I am new to this site. i dont know how to contact her.
P.S my son is considered mildly autistic. he definatley is autistic however, and it shows in different situations.
Sincerely, a concerned parent

Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,982 times
A very nice person left a positive rep point for me on 11/18 about a message I had posted earlier in this thread indicating he/she would like to get in touch with me, and signed the name of "a concerned parent moving to Orlando." I've looked into it, but I don't have any way to contact you. If you will PM me, I'll be happy to answer any questions I can for you. If you right click on my name in this message, I believe you will be given a list of options, one of which is to send a direct message to me.

Sorry for this personal message. I couldn't figure out a way to respond.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 14,900 times
Default Looking for Gluten-Free / Celiac Support Group

Hello,

I've lived in Florida since I was a kid, and I'm looking for a gluten-free/Celiac support group. I live in West Pasco County, but would be willing to drive into Tampa if there isn't a group closer to me. Does anyone know of a group that meets in the area?

Thanks!

Leslie

Old 01-04-2008, 10:39 AM

672 posts, read 905,056 times
Default Collier County School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrachelgarza View Post
Hello, I ALSO am moving to Florida & have a 7 year old son with Autism! however I am thinking of moving to the Orlando area. I really need to do research and find the right school for my son there before I would even consider making the move. The school here that he attends in Saginaw, MI is excellent!! it is a public school but they really cater to Autistic children. there are about 3 or 4 per class of 20. but there are many rescources , a sensory room and teachers and aids who work with all the autistic children. There is even an Autism director there. I hate to take him out of the school. this is his 1st year in public school and he is doing well with the big change from a school with 5 kids per class....to 20 some! I know he would do well staying there but I need to move to orlando. Someone please help. are there public schools in Orlando like this one?? I notice someone who replied to this posting said they were from Orlando. I am new to this site. i dont know how to contact her.
P.S my son is considered mildly autistic. he definatley is autistic however, and it shows in different situations.
Sincerely, a concerned parent
has a program such as you described. Sorry, I don't know about Orlando. I work one on one with an austistic boy in a self contained classroom (6 students), but he has extreme behavior issues towards others (bites, etc.).

Good luck. I hope you find what you need for your child.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 14,468 times
The Dan Marino Foundation (http://www.danmarinofoundation.org/grants.html - broken link)
this is the best website for referrels, also there is web tv area of the website. It has been newly updated and expanded. The interviews are very well done, there is also a referrel area. You can also email for information through the website.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 13,542 times
Hi Mike!

While this isn't a school, it may be a good option for you. I am a board certified behavior analyst and I work for a company called Behavioral Consulting of Tampa Bay. We provide intensive ABA intervention using Verbal Behavior and other behavior principles to increase children's communication and social skills, as well as increase appropriate behavior. Our work is research based and we get very good results. We do work with many school-aged children after school, to supplement what they get during the day. We do also do some home and school consulting when requested. We have a location in Tampa in the Westshore area and are opening a new clinic in Wesley Chapel on February 23rd. Please feel free to check out our website, Behavioral Consulting of Tampa Bay and let us know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Jamie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida