Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times

Advertisements

I like hearing southern accents. It's a shame I dont hear it often in Central FL anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I like hearing southern accents. It's a shame I dont hear it often in Central FL anymore.
I can hear it plain as day when I visit orlando. even the people who work at disney for the most part have a good ole southern twang. Now granted it's far more cultured than in the rest of the south and it's actually pleasant to the ear, but you can't say it's not there.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Uhh... really? Maybe it's because you live in Miami, and maybe you hear what appears to be a southern accent, but it's actually plain ol English? A lot of times in Central FL, not only do I not hear southern accents, but a lot of times I dont even hear the English language. :/

Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Uhh... really? Maybe it's because you live in Miami, and maybe you hear what appears to be a southern accent, but it's actually plain ol English? A lot of times in Central FL, not only do I not hear southern accents, but a lot of times I dont even hear the English language. :/
very funny but no. I've been to chicago,DC,WV,VA,NC,SC,GA, and TN I know what standard american english sounds like and what southern(english?) sounds like. I can also tell the difference between appalachian english and southern english.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
I think it what talkin56 was saying because of the mass media people accents are weak , so they have mix of accents not southern or northern.Even Honey Boo Boo family accent are not strong especially the teen girls.

Like the video above the accent is weak.

And there probably a lot of accents mixing that you are getting different accent that never existed.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
very funny but no. I've been to chicago,DC,WV,VA,NC,SC,GA, and TN I know what standard american english sounds like and what southern(english?) sounds like. I can also tell the difference between appalachian english and southern english.
Lol, okay. Just checking. Thought maybe Miami now had you confused.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 AM

50 posts, read 77,136 times
@southernnaturelover: Well just having net flix and the internet I had not seen honey bo bo so from You Tube:
The Best of Honey Boo Boo - YouTube That is alot like So Ga.. the panhandle or NE Fl without education. A full set if teeth also helps with pronounciation too...so remember boys n girls ...brush those teeth !

@sweat209: I liked the Dallas police woman clip..I talk about that fast but it is still alot slower than Gen X that I work with here..they barely open their mouths and mumble with no spaces between syllables..very irritating. I do not allow them to holler acorss the room to me because I do not understand them and it is just rude to the many people having conversations in the room. I do not fist bump..that came up in US culture while I was in the mtns. not natural for me..I am 57.

I know some very educated folks in Chipley that talk like Atticus Finch on the Movie To Kill a Mockingbird..which is a mixture of AL/FL

Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,047,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkin56 View Post
@southernnaturelover: Well just having net flix and the internet I had not seen honey bo bo so from ]That is alot like So Ga.. the panhandle or NE Fl without education. A full set if teeth also helps with pronounciation too...so remember boys n girls ...brush those teeth !

@sweat209: I liked the Dallas police woman clip..I talk about that fast but it is still alot slower than Gen X that I work with here..they barely open their mouths and mumble with no spaces between syllables..very irritating. I do not allow them to holler acorss the room to me because I do not understand them and it is just rude to the many people having conversations in the room. I do not fist bump..that came up in US culture while I was in the mtns. not natural for me..I am 57.

I know some very educated folks in Chipley that talk like Atticus Finch on the Movie To Kill a Mockingbird..which is a mixture of AL/FL
The mom,dad and little girl have much stronger accent than the teen girls in Here comes honey boo boo.

I'm not sure what you mean by barely open their mouths and mumble with no spaces between words.You wanted to here stronger accents , if shipping wars and Dallas police woman are not strong enough because of mass media than only thing I can think of that would be stronger is Appalachian mountains.

The southern twang is slower way of speaking and comes across more redneck like the first two videos I posted.The southern drawl you can here in shipping wars,Dallas police woman and Here comes honey boo boo.

The teens will spend more time watching TV , listing to music and fresh out of school that there accents is weak.Like in Here comes honey boo boo the teen girls talk faster and have less of accent than the mom,dad and little girl.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:11 PM

96 posts, read 133,073 times
Northern Florida is about as southern as GA, AL, MS, LA, and Eastern TX which is all the Lower part of the South and also classified as the Deep South. I use to live in Atlanta, GA and while living there I use to visit down to Florida quite a bit and been to Jacksonville, Tallahassee, been thru Gainesville and Ocala in route to both Tampa and Orlando. All of them are very culturally southern except for Orlando because of the diversity of people from the Northeast, Midwest, and Caribbean Islanders. I've also have been to West Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, and Miami and they are the least southern. IMO I would say that Southern Florida is def. mostly Caribbean and Latin influenced with very little southern influences

Old 12-23-2013, 05:36 PM

96 posts, read 133,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyduck View Post
I would avoid Florida, or anywhere in the southeast. The weather is horrendous, and the people annoying for the most part. I lived in Florida for three years, and I hated it. The only friends I made there were not from the south. Many of the people are very racist. Southern hospitality is a myth, and, more times than not, insincere if you experience it.
Lol I use to live in Atlanta so I know what you mean! The southern hospitality was a myth because the people there were rude, it was very racist there, plus the winters were brutal cold and the summers were scorching humid. Also I visited other southeastern states and they were no better, although I did like the South Florida area lot better since it's the least culturally southern unlike the northern part of the state.

Last edited by CaliWestCoast; 12-23-2013 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida