Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:31 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times

Advertisements

chicagoan here who has a vacation set up for the keys...i was going to choose key west but it seems very popular. which one of the keys would you suggest for the perfect remote get away from the hustle and bustle of a big city (and cold temps too)? any advice? all i need is a beach...that will be my entire vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
chicagoan here who has a vacation set up for the keys...i was going to choose key west but it seems very popular. which one of the keys would you suggest for the perfect remote get away from the hustle and bustle of a big city (and cold temps too)? any advice? all i need is a beach...that will be my entire vacation.
Try Key Largo or Islamorada. They're more "laid back" & not as "party-hardy" as Key West. Key Largo also has Pennekamp State Park which is beautiful & they have a great snorkeling excursion out to the reef!!

Welcome to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - Key Largo, Florida Keys

As far as beaches, I haven't personally seen any "stereotype" sand beaches in the Keys....mainly coral rock with some sand strips...

Any Key residents have more info??

Old 11-21-2008, 10:39 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
i'll settle for the pool provided that wonderful Florida sun is there. oh, how i miss that big ball of fire...we hardly see it and when we do it is 18 degrees like today in illinois.

the one thing i liked about key west, besides the great hotels, was the fact that they have an airport on the island. i couldn't fly from midway or o'hare to key largo, right? i'd have to fly to miami and then pay a large fair to get to Key Largo or Islamorada or no? i know very little about the keys other than the fact i really want to go there.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:07 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Bahia Honda is a VERY pretty beach.

Try looking for some sea kayak "adventure" tours -- mostly in the middle keys. They'll take you out to the deserted mangrove islands. Beautiful!

Have fun.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:10 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
i'll settle for the pool provided that wonderful Florida sun is there. oh, how i miss that big ball of fire...we hardly see it and when we do it is 18 degrees like today in illinois.

the one thing i liked about key west, besides the great hotels, was the fact that they have an airport on the island. i couldn't fly from midway or o'hare to key largo, right? i'd have to fly to miami and then pay a large fair to get to Key Largo or Islamorada or no? i know very little about the keys other than the fact i really want to go there.
Yes, you'ld have to fly into Miami, but you can always rent a car (not as expensive here as up north from what I've seen...)...Key Largo's roughly or less than an hour from Miami... It's the 1st Key you get to off the mainland.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Key Largo is not remote, but it is one of the most convenient keys to reach. If you want to be close to Key West, big pine key has some wilderness areas and is not too far. You can get from the Miami airport to Key Largo in about an hour average time, and it never gets really cold here.Unlike overcrowded key west, you never have to worry about parking meters in Key Largo.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:48 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,921 times
I recommend Bahia Honda State Park, it is just north of Big Pine Key by 5 miles. You could easily spend a week there reading a basket full of books. Big Pine and the lower keys have plenty of small motels and quaint stilt homes on the water that you can rent. The lower keys are very quaint, isolated, and underdeveloped. (The stars are really bright) Also, I believe the water is much clearer in the lower keys.

Key Largo is merely an extension of Miami, complete with overpriced condo resorts, snob appeal, and rude city folk.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
This is remote:

Melody Key Island (http://melodykey.com/main.html - broken link)

Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
There's an island on the way down to Key West - can't for the life of me remember the name of it - but it's only got a few homes on it. They rent them out and if money wasn't any object I'm sure you could rent the island itself.

I also recommend Bahia Honda - just gorgeous beach!

As for Key West, maybe I'm different, but I found it very laid back and relaxed as long as you don't go during one of the festivals or events down there. Most of the year it really is a very easy going place. They've got a bumper sticker on the cars down there that I loved - 'slow down, you're not on the main land any more'. I was raised on an island and always wanted one for my car.

ETA: I went and checked out the link above^. The place is really nice, single home on the island. Very secluded. Looks like my dream home - LOL!! But you'll pay for it.....

Rates

In season rates : $ 8,000.00 weekly
Off season rates : $ 6,800.00 weekly
(July 1st through September 30th)

Security deposit: $2,000.00

I'll see if I can find the one I was talking about....

Old 11-21-2008, 10:10 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Well, there's Seabird Key (I'd never heard of it), but the prices are pretty comparable:
HighSeason-late Dec. through June 30 6,995
Off Season-July through mid-Dec. 5,595

I'm not sure that all of these are in the Key West area, but they are listed in Florida. Dolphin Jump Key is the one I was thinking of. I highlighted it in blue.

Broad Key - Picture yourself lazily day-dreaming as you watch the sunset from the widows peak of the main house; you can still feel the rumble of the engines as you remember the battle of the day; the battle of the regal sailfish to the boat. Just 5 miles off shore, the warriors roam – the sailfish, dolphin, wahoo and marlin while closer to the shore the flats offer the ever-illusive bonefish, snook, tarpon and much more. $10000 USD per week.

Cinnamon Key - Maximum 6 guests with unlimited use of kayaks for as many as 5 guests to paddle together exploring the hundreds of nearby islands. You'll observe fantastic wildlife in the back country of "Old Florida". $1302 USD per week.

Dolphin Jump Key - This private island, with traditional conch cottage includes a modern two bedroom waterfront home in Marathon (yes, two dwellings are included)! Your Florida Keys vacation rental combines the best of all worlds... A quaint Bahamas cottage on your private tropical island and a it is only a short five minute boat ride from the waterfront shore home. An island manager will demonstrate how to operate the boat and introduce you to your private island. Our home is furnished with linens, towels, and all the amenities. $2495 USD per week.
Palm Island - Dock your yacht right outside your very own island! Surrounded by the turquoise waters of the Florida Keys, Palm Island provides its guests with an unspoiled view of a true tropical paradise. Experience the feeling of its soft white sand caressing your feet as you walk along Palm Island’s pristine coastline. Feel the warm sea breeze at your back as it gently sways the island’s beautiful palm trees. Relax and watch the sun as it slowly sets into ocean and sets the scene for a dazzling array of stars in the large moonlit tropical sky. $15000 USD per week.

Paradise Found Island - Enjoy your own private island, exclusively for the use of your group. No worries about strangers around the private pool or spa. Feel safe with the electronic security gate on the island and relax in a peaceful setting surrounded by calming waters - truly a soul rejuvenation for those of you going 140 mph. Visit Old Florida and experience Mother Nature's theme park, the Nature Coast. Whether it's fishing, kayaking, making s'mores by the fire circle, or just taking it easy in the hammock or one of the sky chairs, you'll be glad you came to Paradise Found Island Retreat. $1166 USD per week.

Sea Shell Key - Also known as Pretty Joe Rock, this quaint keys island is surrounded by the sparkling turquoise waters of the Gulf. The home is surrounded by landscaped boardwalks and an ancient exposed reef features native vegetation such as black mangroves, sea grapes, and pitch apples, which attract a variety of migrating birds. In the water around the island, guests will occasionally be greeted by dolphins, manatees, parrot and angel fish all swimming in the crystal clear warm waters. $2495 USD per week.

Seabird Key - Indulge your fantasies on your own 10 acre private Island! A beautiful beach cottage, a boat and a sandy beach are as close to a tropical paradise as you can find. Imagine the privacy of your own beach shaded by towering coconut palms. Wander along jungle trails to discover exotic tropical plants and flowers. Watch the antics of the pelicans, herons, ibis, ospreys and other avian residents of the bird sanctuary which co-exist with you on the Island. Toast the sunset from the Widow's Walk high above the treetops. $4995 USD per week.

Teatable Key - All the serenity and mystique of this private island is available in the Florida Keys. Blending the best of two worlds is an island connected by a private causeway just minutes from the town of Islamorada. $8000 USD per week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida