Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM

76 posts, read 101,883 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any current photos-2006+ of these areas? I need a few pictures to hold me over until I come visit in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
What areas do you want to see, the ones you can never afford, or the ugly places that most people can?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:50 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
tallrick, that is cute but not exactly accurate. South Beach was a wasteland a few years ago, Los Olas was just another street, Miami Shores was a sleepy enclave, and the people who bought in at the right time bought into inexpensive places that turned beautiful. Timing is everything.

What areas are next on the upswing? It is hard to tell. Margate has been doing some interesting things lately, buying up property on both sides of 441 in preparation for a major project, revamping streetscapes, and overseeing grants to low income homeowners to upgrade their property. Deerfield Beach has a lot of potential.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 AM

South Beach was never a wasteland, but actually better before the bubble. Sure there were a lot of run down hotels with old people on the patio, but it was the neglect that saved the beach from "redevelopment" and allowed it to become the famous place it now is. Miami Vice on TV didn't hurt either. The beach has always been desireable, since Carl Fisher convinced people to buy and build on his lots. Some areas like west Kendall, Doral and other mass developments have no future better than what they have now. In south Florida you never know where the suckers will bubble up next. Personally I would prefer inexpensive and friendly, but no such place exists anymore in South Florida.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:51 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
tallrick, that is cute but not exactly accurate. South Beach was a wasteland a few years ago, Los Olas was just another street, Miami Shores was a sleepy enclave, and the people who bought in at the right time bought into inexpensive places that turned beautiful. Timing is everything.

What areas are next on the upswing? It is hard to tell. Margate has been doing some interesting things lately, buying up property on both sides of 441 in preparation for a major project, revamping streetscapes, and overseeing grants to low income homeowners to upgrade their property. Deerfield Beach has a lot of potential.
The Mayor has laid out the future Fort Lauderdale wants. He said there is little room any more for the single family house, they need to be replaced by mulit family dwellings. This came right from the mayors lips. Builders can buy single family houses an get them rezoned in a heart beat wrecking neighborhoods. People are forced to sell out to developers for bargain prices because once they are there who else would buy your house. They drive the value down and then make you an offer. The city could care less about the quality of life just their tax base and giving themselves raises. Anyone moving to this area with any thought of raising a family would have to be nuts. Our roads and most everything here is old and falling apart and can't support the current population and they are looking to double it.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The Mayor has laid out the future Fort Lauderdale wants. He said there is little room any more for the single family house, they need to be replaced by mulit family dwellings. This came right from the mayors lips. Builders can buy single family houses an get them rezoned in a heart beat wrecking neighborhoods. People are forced to sell out to developers for bargain prices because once they are there who else would buy your house. They drive the value down and then make you an offer. The city could care less about the quality of life just their tax base and giving themselves raises. Anyone moving to this area with any thought of raising a family would have to be nuts. Our roads and most everything here is old and falling apart and can't support the current population and they are looking to double it.
Also don't forget that the city zoning department is there to harass older residents and force them to sell and move. Amazing that a place with such aging infrastructure want to turn decent neighborhoods into bubble condos and eventual slums. I don't know about you, but the idea of settling for multi-family crackerboxes isn't my idea of paradise!

Old 04-11-2007, 05:53 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,194,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Also don't forget that the city zoning department is there to harass older residents and force them to sell and move. Amazing that a place with such aging infrastructure want to turn decent neighborhoods into bubble condos and eventual slums. I don't know about you, but the idea of settling for multi-family crackerboxes isn't my idea of paradise!
I have to get a new computer. I have been holding out waiting for the new Mac OS to come out before buying. This computer is so old I can't even get the photo program to work. I will post some pictures from around here soon you won't believe. Cute little houses dwarfed by huge multi family town houses on all sides built to the property lines. They for what ever reason didn't want to sell and now their houses are all but worthless. Who in their right mind would want to buy.

This city has made it's plans clear what they want. Good or bad it isn't for me. What I said about old and falling apart. They have just waited too long to make what should have been on going improvements. Now the place has aged all at once. We have water systems that leak like crazy. Sections of street are always being repaired due to leaks eroding away underneath. The roads have be re-toped so many times even the best roads are like riding on a rail road track. They need to be torn up and totally redone. Wilma really showed the age of our electrical poles. They came down by the thousands, all full of rot and termite damage.

Many that didn't come down all together are still tilted over like they are going to fall any minute and after more then a year and a half still not fixed. Many of the commercial buildings in this town are badly aging but owners aren't going to do anything. I saw one that looked fine nice paint and so on. They were doing some sign work on the outside and the whole wall came down. The inside looked like nothing but honey comb it was so full of past termite damage that have been hidden with plaster and paint instead of fixing it. I could go on but the thing is, at some point someone is going to get the bill for all this cities past neglect and it seems to be coming due soon.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM

76 posts, read 101,883 times
I'd like pictures mostly of Fort Lauderdale, intracoastal views especially if you have them around 33308 near shooters. Thanks

Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
South Beach was never a wasteland, but actually better before the bubble. Sure there were a lot of run down hotels with old people on the patio, but it was the neglect that saved the beach from "redevelopment" and allowed it to become the famous place it now is. Miami Vice on TV didn't hurt either. Personally I would prefer inexpensive and friendly, but no such place exists anymore in South Florida.
South Beach USED to be great. Used to go almost every weekend. This is back when you could buy a 2 bedroom condo on the east side of the street for less than 20 grand. Oh how I remember almost begging my employer in Ft Lauderdale to co-sign for me but nooooooo way would they do so.

Now it IS a wasteland.

We were in Lauderdale today. Took a drive down the isles ( off Las Olas, those isles ) Haven't seen them in years. My how things have er, gotten CROWDED.

Whatever floats the boat I guess.

Thankfully, Skyline Chile on federal still serves up great coney's!

Now we live on the west coast. Port Charlotte. Where humans are just starting to learn how to walk upright although it may be awhile before theyb accomplish that feat of evolution. Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida