Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 09:03 PM

12 posts, read 56,733 times

Advertisements

I was told that New Smyrna Beach has very high crime. Does anyone know if this is true? I have not been there in about ten years, but we are supposed to be going to look at a house for sale there. I was told that it was getting run down and not at all safe. I found this hard to believe, but like I said, it's been about ten years. I grew up in Detroit and still live about 20 minutes from there now. I have never had a major problem. I very rarely go downtown, but that has to do with work, kids, traffic, etc... Not crime. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about New Smyrna. How are the schools? Anything you could tell me would help. Thank You!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Wink New Smyrna

My family and I have taken regular vacations to New Smyrna during the past 3-4 years (missed last summer). My impressions are that once you are two or more miles inland, you progress from very prosperous to very run down. I do not know much about the statistics on crime, but we have never felt threatened in any way while there.

As I would take my morning walk through the nearby neighborhoods, my thoughts were that the residents lived very modest lifestyles. Once again my impressions... I saw a lot of older heavily-used cars and trucks in the driveways, and I felt that many had homes by the ocean, but little else. There did not seem to be many bustling industries there either and recently, we witnessed many more boarded storefronts than ever before. I do know that New Smyrna was hit rather heavily by a hurricane a few years ago, and maybe many of the businesses just opted not to reopen.

I am just offering my insights as a visitor, not a resident, plus we missed last year. The locals can probably give you a more insightful response.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:49 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
Hey there!

We are Detroit area natives as well. We are in the Port Orange area - right near New Smyrna Beach. I don't think it's run down or filled with crime. Not that I've seen. There is a wonderful new community being build there (you can search for it online) - called Venetian Bay. They say it will be a city within a city when finished. They plan to have stores there, houses, schools etc. It's very nice already.

NSB seems nice to me- far safer than Detroit, that's for sure! The schools don't look as good as those in Port Orange or Ormond Beach though. You will get better demographics and ratings (A, B,C, etc.) schools by going to one of those two places. You might want to check out Port Orange. It's very nice, excellent schools, near the beach and not far from NSB.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:19 AM

31 posts, read 138,852 times
I was offered a job opportunity down there last year, and upon spending some time in the area, well, I turned down the job. Saw some VERY nice homes and some VERY poor ones. I'm from the Ann Arbor area - so I am used to VERY safe and clean areas...My experience as a visitor were that the area wasn't somewhere I wanted to be.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
I judge the east Florida locations by the lead-in route from I-95. When you get off I-95 to drive to New Smyrna, the exit route is tacky with worn down residences and boarded up businesses until you get to the bridge. The same can be said about Cocoa Village and Melbourne. Unless you're going to reside on the island and wear blinders to the rest of your community, I'd look at the whole picture.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM

134 posts, read 600,667 times
Gosh, I am so confused. I just don't know where I am going to go when I leave Miami. I reallly have been thinking New Symrna Beach,,,area. I can't afford to live Beachside, no way, with costs, etc. I do not mind the sleepiness of the town,(Edgewater) but the high crime stuff scares me a little. last thing I want to deal with is that, after Miami. I have wondered why that show on Court Tv(cases of female detective Dale Hinnman,) features all these heinous crimes in Volusia county. Rarely do they feature crimes outside of that county. I am so flustered. I only know that I can't teach for Dade County forever. No way, it is taking too much of my mind, body and soul. Surely, other places are not as complex nor hideous as MDPS. Oh, please tell me there is a sunny side of somewhre!!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 AM

New Smyrna Beach got hit hard with tornadoes last night. There were 69 homes hit...

Old 02-04-2007, 07:40 AM

134 posts, read 600,667 times
That is devasting news ofcourse. Let's see how Charlie deals with it and how swiftly. His first test as our new GOV> My realtor wrote to say she was ok, hope u are too Redwing. She also mentioned that they built (or are building a Home Depot there. Thas all I need along with groceries, peace and quiet and a good neighbor that I feel comfortable to ask for a cup of sugar when in need. My neighbors here don't speak to you unless you are as rich as they are. Really pitiful. They are vultures, waiting for my mom to pass so the house will be sold and a minnie mansion can be here instead of us. When we have storms they never ask if if we are ok. Can u imagine that? Druing Wilma we were without electric for 9 days and they had it. (different grid) They NEVEr asked if we were ok or needed anything. Never even sent over a pot of beans! Ofcourse I moved my mom and her aide into a nearby motel and I stayed in the house. i consider it a blessing I know how to light a fire!!!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 8,246 times
I'm not sure where anyone would get the idea that New Smyrna Beach has any crime at all. Half the people I know don't even lock their doors. New Smyrna (Coronado) Beach is beautiful, totally safe little town. I could live anywhere in the US or world, and I choose to live and own a house beachside because of the safety factor.

It might be a good idea to check with accurate sources. The reason why I think someone would say that, is that most people don't want any more new development or row housing built here. There is a continued fight not to have the area bear any resemblance to south Florida.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachscientist View Post
I'm not sure where anyone would get the idea that New Smyrna Beach has any crime at all. Half the people I know don't even lock their doors. New Smyrna (Coronado) Beach is beautiful, totally safe little town. I could live anywhere in the US or world, and I choose to live and own a house beachside because of the safety factor.

It might be a good idea to check with accurate sources. The reason why I think someone would say that, is that most people don't want any more new development or row housing built here. There is a continued fight not to have the area bear any resemblance to south Florida.
That's what I'm saying. I live in Volusia County and I think NSB is pretty nice, I don't see it as run down or crime ridden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida