Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:05 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,396 times

Advertisements

I am confused, another mess to try and figure out, its not going to help me at all. Why not get rid of property taxes and raise the sales tax so all people pay thier share.
We thought we would save some money on insurance but we got screwed on that one too. Bunch of gobbley ****.
Are these people nuts up there?
**** means g o o k why the edit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:21 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
Nirvana-Guy,

GREAT post! I just called both of my Reps' about this and sounded off about the taxes. I also mentioned that I wiiukd be watching how they vote and if they do not vote for SUBSTANTIAL reductions, I will vote for whoever is running against them. As an interesting sidebar, members in the US congress use a simple formula to guage how hot a topic is. They figure that for every letter/email/call they get there are another 1,000 voters who feel the same way.

Once again EXCELLENT post.
Thanks!

My local state Rep (Lake Mary) is voting FOR lowering the taxes. I am not sure about the state Senator in my district (no time to call or look him/her up yet).

I call my State Rep (in the Federal level) and he is AWESOME (John Mica). I am serious, I have the best state rep in the US Congress.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:29 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
The FL House has passed a MUCH better plan!

The FL Senate (just as the corrupted US Senate) passed a crappy plan.

People, CALL YOUR FL STATE SENATORS AND DEMAND (DO NOT ASK) FOR THEM TO ENDORSE THE FL HOUSE PLAN TO ELIMINATE THE PROPERTY TAXES!! TELL THEM YOU ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN A COMPLETE ELIMINATION OF PROPERTY TAXES FOR HOMES VALUED LES STHAN $300,000!

Here is how you find their #s (using your zip code):

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Welcome/i...TOKEN=19965904
Thank you, Nirvana....you gave us a helpful post. I even had to take you off ignore to get it! LOL

I've done my part and called my senator! Let's do this!!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:01 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
We don't need an escalating property tax that would increase 10% a year after selling and buying a home in Florida. There's enough things going up every year with inflation!

What happened to 0 property tax and increased sales tax? How about 0 property tax for homes appraised at $500,000 or less and let the more expensive homes carry the burden of property tax on appraisal amount over $500,000.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:41 PM

251 posts, read 885,924 times
I just got back from Tallahassee and from what I have been told there will be nothing done this session for the property taxes. There is rumor that after session they may call a special session for property taxes like they did for the insurance. There are too many people/Counties lobbying against any decrease in property taxes. The Governor thought he did a great thing by allowing individual counties to offer up to a 50k homestead, I can't wait to see how many actually do it. Not many I presume.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
I just got back from Tallahassee and from what I have been told there will be nothing done this session for the property taxes. There is rumor that after session they may call a special session for property taxes like they did for the insurance. There are too many people/Counties lobbying against any decrease in property taxes. The Governor thought he did a great thing by allowing individual counties to offer up to a 50k homestead, I can't wait to see how many actually do it. Not many I presume.
So in other words, they won't be doing anything until election time. I guess it will be just like HOI.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I heard there was a busload of people from Miami planning a demonstration in Tallahassee. Anyone know about this so I can join in?

Last edited by tallrick; 04-13-2007 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-13-2007, 01:57 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I heard there was a busload of people from Miami planning a demonstration in Tallahassee. Anyone know about this so I can join in?
There is another thread on that with bus info.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:01 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
It's just getting hard and harder for me to write to "The Honarable".......SOB.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:18 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,504,583 times
The only thing I know for sure is that when they start to meddle with the natural process of taxing homes to provide services, they only make it worse.

The Save Our Homes changes started the meddling and brought us to where we are now, because of the law of unintended consequences. Now, they have dug themselves into a hole where the only way they can see to get out is to dig the hole deeper. What they are proposing just meddles with things even more, and will make the situation even worse in ways we cannot see yet. Actually, when I think about it, the first instance of meddling was the Homestead exemption, itself.

Every resident of every community requires services from the management of that community. Everything including police and fire protection, education, public works, utility services, parks and recreation, libraries, beautification, transportation, zoning, building inspections, licensing, community standards, code enforcement, animal control, and many more are services that are needed by everyone, or wanted by a large enough majority to be sure they are provided. These services are provided to residents, and it is up to the residents to pay for them in a fair and equitable manner.

Over time, it has been determined that the fairest eay to pay for these services is a tax on property. This tax is paid directly by homeowners and indirectly by renters because the landlords pay the tax and pass it on to the tenants as part of the rent (because the Homestead exemption does not apply to rental property, tenants actually pay more, because the landlords pay more).

Personally, I think there should be a basic, minimum level tax that is paid by everyone, regardless of the value of their property. Everyone enjoys the services provided, and everyone should have to pay an equal amount. Then, it might be fair to assess homeowners with larger or more valuable homes a progressively higher amount of property tax based on a theory that they might be receiving a higher level of service, although I'm hard-pressed to give examples of what those higher services might be. It might be more honest to just admit that we expect people with more resources to pay a greater share -- but everyone should have to pay something.

That would remove a lot of the inequity in the tax system as it now stands. By the way, any mention of sales tax is out of place -- there is no connection between people's purchasing habits and the services provided to residents.

The Save Our Homes deal was largely driven by a naive hope that if the amount of taxes that could be collected is reduced, it would force the communities to reduce their spending. What actually happened was that communities figured out a different way to get the revenues they need. This talk of "$11 Billion in savings" or whatever the number is based on a similar, naive hope. The simple fact is that if the residents are going to save $11 Billion, then the communities either have to find a different source for the $11 Billion, or else cut services. Many communities have already begun to predict how they will have to reduce those services -- police forces will be cut, miles patrolled will be reduced, equipment will be allowed to age further and get less maintenance, roads will be allowed to deteriorate, parks will be closed, and on and on.

There is a common misconception that all we have to do is cut waste and we can reduce spending enough to cut taxes. The simple fact is that waste is really just a small part of the expenditures, and one man's waste is another man's treasure. I have heard people say they think it's a waste to plant flowers in medians. I think it's a positive benefit for the community, and it probably costs about .00005% of the budget. Multiply that example by dozens, and the issues become apparent.

The ONLY thing that is fair is for each resident to pay their fair share, and if they don't like the budget, to use their power of the vote to change the leaders. Everything else is meddling and will just cause more problems in the future.

By the way, let me add that everything they are proposing is a benefit to me -- if I were selfish, I'd just keep my mouth shut and let them pass it all -- I'd make out like gang busters. But, I would NOT be a good citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida