Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 10:20 PM

16 posts, read 34,391 times

Advertisements

Tried to smush it all in the title to give you an idea.

Here is the sitch & haven't been able to get a correct answer from a dealer or insurance company all day.

My ex still lives up north, out of state.

He wants to buy a new car when he visits here next week and give it to our hs graduate daughter to drive here for college. He will be getting a loan on it.

She is a FL resident with me, and she will be going to college here full time.

She has a FL driver license (just got it). She is not yet 18. She is not making payments to him for the car, she's only going to send him the money for insurance. She will not have her own policy (I don't think she can anyway, since it's not her car).

We can't get a straight answer....can he buy this for her and register it and insure it out of state, as long as he meets the min insurance requirements for whatever FL's law is? Or, what does he have to do...register and insure it here (under his name, adding her as a driver), somehow?

If so, how does he do that if he goes back up north and doesn't end up buying one while he is here?

Or, what is the minimum he can do in this lovely situation?

Of course we are not going to turn him down for a car purchase.

What's the best case? He should be figuring this out himself, but he hasn't. I just need to know ahead of time what the options are so I don't waste my time shopping for a car for her that he's never going to be able to get her.

Looking forward to your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim4Florida View Post
Tried to smush it all in the title to give you an idea.

Here is the sitch & haven't been able to get a correct answer from a dealer or insurance company all day.

My ex still lives up north, out of state.

He wants to buy a new car when he visits here next week and give it to our hs graduate daughter to drive here for college. He will be getting a loan on it.

She is a FL resident with me, and she will be going to college here full time.

She has a FL driver license (just got it). She is not yet 18. She is not making payments to him for the car, she's only going to send him the money for insurance. She will not have her own policy (I don't think she can anyway, since it's not her car).

We can't get a straight answer....can he buy this for her and register it and insure it out of state, as long as he meets the min insurance requirements for whatever FL's law is? Or, what does he have to do...register and insure it here (under his name, adding her as a driver), somehow?

If so, how does he do that if he goes back up north and doesn't end up buying one while he is here?

Or, what is the minimum he can do in this lovely situation?

Of course we are not going to turn him down for a car purchase.

What's the best case? He should be figuring this out himself, but he hasn't. I just need to know ahead of time what the options are so I don't waste my time shopping for a car for her that he's never going to be able to get her.

Looking forward to your responses!
1. Insurance will have to be a Florida insurance company so might be easier for her car to be added to your insurance policy or just get a policy for her car and let her pay the premiums. If he is buying her a car, why not just put her name on the title and registration from the get go? That way neither of you can be sued if she has an accident in the car. We learned the hard way. :-) Our son had a fender bender driving one of our cars while in college and we were the ones who got sued.

2. If your x- husband purchases a car here in Florida he has to register it here in Florida or has 30 days of a temporary tag/registration to take it back to home state and register it there. I think he has to prove residency here to register it in the state, so if he buys it here it has to go back with him.

3. Best thing you can do is actually go into the DMV and see what is the best method to buy and insure a car here in the state if not living here.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
I think there is a rule that if you buy a car in another state and have owned it for 6 months or less you will have to pay sales tax again in Florida when you register it.

Sales Tax on Motor Vehicles Brought into Florida
New and used cars purchased in the State of Florida are subject to the standard 6 percent sales tax. Vehicles purchased in other states six months before they are brought into Florida are not subject to the six percent sales tax.
If the vehicle being brought into Florida was not used and purchased six months before entering Florida it is subject to the states 6 percent sales tax and must be paid before a title and license plate will be issued. But a credit is allowed for the same tax paid in another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida