Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:18 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFZS View Post
Is Allstate canceling all coverages hurricane, flood and HOI, or just specific one? Citizen's tried this one with my house last year when they were cleaning house with the non-homesteaded homes (luckily I was homestead an their record keeping was not current, but this was not good for the snow birds and others with multiple homes).

I have been researching the last couple of months to reduce insurance cost.
But this does not help when you have to start over with a new company. I have seen this between me and my neighbor--I bought in 2003 premiums were 750/2500/650 HOI/HURR/FLD, the neighbor bought in 2007 theirs were 900/4500/1800. There is no reasoning for the difference except the Insurance companies wanted to make up for losses.
Go back and read through ealier posts in the forum about who sets the rates, how they are set and approved etc. You might feel better when you actually understand the situation.

P.S. Most flood insurance is part of a federal program that is non-profit and administered by the insurers but all they do is collect the premiums etc. and pass it along to the feds. Judging from their much higher flood rates there must be something going on there you are either ignoring or not telling us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 09:07 PM

36 posts, read 143,917 times
Correct the Flood Insurance rates are regulated by "National Flood Insurance Program" FloodSmart.gov: Your premier resource for flood insurance information. The insurance companies are just writing the policies and the rates are matching the rate tables on the web site. The rate tables do increase over time, so for a person getting a new policy this table will give a good quote.

For my neighbor, his insurance company did not request an elevation certificate, so he received a "worst case" policy. The purpose of the elevation certificate is to show what flood zone your property is located in, an how much above or below the structure is compared to the calculate base flood elevation. As a Land Surveyor, I help him understand this process and corrected his insurance problem.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Correct the Flood Insurance rates are regulated by "National Flood Insurance Program" FloodSmart.gov: Your premier resource for flood insurance information. The insurance companies are just writing the policies and the rates are matching the rate tables on the web site. The rate tables do increase over time, so for a person getting a new policy this table will give a good quote.

For my neighbor, his insurance company did not request an elevation certificate, so he received a "worst case" policy. The purpose of the elevation certificate is to show what flood zone your property is located in, an how much above or below the structure is compared to the calculate base flood elevation. As a Land Surveyor, I help him understand this process and corrected his insurance problem.
Great. You are a good neighbor to help them out.

Unless your neighbor bought insurance directly from the insurance company...one would think that the insurance agent should have (or probably did tell) your neighbor to get an elevation certificate. In either event...somebody screwed up but it got straightened out. Nice job, thanks for sharing. :-)

Old 07-19-2007, 11:10 AM

36 posts, read 143,917 times
He shopped around and tried to get the lowest rate, but I don't think he had a positive attitude towards the insurance agents--because the insurance rates were extremely high. Probably because of he was telling them, ”that they are robbing him blind”, no one suggested getting an elevation certificate.

So the moral to the story is to kiss butt until you get the policy and then complain after. I also told him to get the wind storm inspection (save me 35% = $1500 per year).

Old 07-29-2007, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,593 times
Default Allstate woes in SC.

First post so greetings to everyone. We're near Hilton Head, SC and Allstate dropped us along with thousands of others. Never filed a claim, homesteaded semi-retired and our insurance with Farm Bureau better than doubled and that held true with several companies we got bids from. Went from $1010. a year to $2200. a year. The SC insurance commission is supposedly doing an investigation but what can they do? Really a joke because the SC ins comm website FAQ's say an insurance company can cancel your policy within 90 days of writing it for any reason.

I'm in business and a customer told me USAA was the cheapest and if I had military service I qwualified. I was discharged in 1964 and went to the USAA website and it says "recently discharged" military. The customer assistance isn't open Sunday but I wonder if I qualify for USAA coverage?

This is my personal opinion and I am entitled to it. I believe Allstate sucks canal water and their slogan "You're in good hands with Allstate" is a farce and I hope they go broke and file bankruptcy.

We live close to the river and everyone in this area has a flood certificate. I had graduated high school in 1959 and hurricane Gracie hit us with 150 MPH winds and that will make a believer out of you.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 AM

143 posts, read 871,251 times
this isn't just florida in massachusetts they get floods on the north shore all the time and last year was really bad if you remember from the news

I'm in a no flood zone of florida my insurance is so cheap yet I know someone in masachusetts who's flood insurance is 5 times what mine is

Old 07-29-2007, 10:14 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Not only did Federated National lower our rate ( just a little bit) last month but after I called them and explained that we MIGHT be selling this place and buying a waterfront house, they allowed us to pay quarterly ( we usually write one check once a year just like our property taxes ) so we could cancel the policy when sold, and would be interested in insuring the waterfront house should we get to buy it.

Bear in mind we are in Port Charlotte, and DID have a big claim . Our house was on the edge of the kill zone and we were inside the walk in closet with only plywood shutters. The house did fine, stood up to what was claimed as 140+ MPH winds right out front and we lost shingles from a 20 year old roof. The insurance company replaced the roof with new 40 year dimensional.

We saw new houses wiped out from Charley.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 AM

6 posts, read 13,455 times
Moving to another state, especially if you do the 'MATH", would lower taxes and insurance. I DID the 'MATH" . The home I'm building in TN will run me
$500.00 insurance, taxes 250.00. The home I am living in now was $1,200 and went to over $5,000.

Now that everyone in the top (the ones that are filling there pockets) realize people are leaving by the droves, they want to figure out a "solution." DUH

Why not go without insurance? DUH!! If you carry a mortage, it is mandated.

What a boycott will do? China is suffering for it. Dog food, lead-filled toys, tainted toothpaste, and as of last night "manufacturing fake drugs".

What say you?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:52 AM

6 posts, read 13,455 times
Wink dreaded envelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
AllState does business in every state, same with State Farm etc. How is moving to another state going to help if you think they are the problem?

Why be mad at allstate? Citizens will fix everything and also fluff your pillows in the morning according to El Presidente Hugo Crist.

Would you care to explain what a boycott would accomplish? Why not just go without insurance?
If you do that "MATH" insurance is "NOT" the same in all states. Our new home in TN will cost $500.00 insurance and $200.00 in taxes. The home we live in FL "WAS" 1,200 and insurance went to over $5,000.

What will a boycott accomplish? Last news on "China" there markets are doing so well. Remember, dog food, lead filled toys, etc etc etc.
Well, lets not go to china. Let's stay here in "America", how about the strike of the Air Controllers. Last I heard they were all "REPLACED". Of course, now I am almost revealing my age.

Why not go without insurance. When a person has a mortgage, (borrowed money from bank for home), it is mandated.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
He shopped around and tried to get the lowest rate, but I don't think he had a positive attitude towards the insurance agents--because the insurance rates were extremely high. Probably because of he was telling them, ”that they are robbing him blind”, no one suggested getting an elevation certificate.

So the moral to the story is to kiss butt until you get the policy and then complain after. I also told him to get the wind storm inspection (save me 35% = $1500 per year).
Perhaps your neighbor shouldn't be such an **** to John and June lunchpail who are just doing thier job and have nothing to do with setting rates etc.
Those rates are set by the federal government and shockingly if you build on a floodplain and didn't have the house built up or on a hill etc. shouldn't you pay higher rates?

Your neighbor is extra lucky to have a nice neighbor if they are such an abusive jackass in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida