Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 06:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,283,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Unless you are a traveling salesman or use your car for work, it may be one of the easiest expenses to cut back on. I would bet the average person could cut their miles in half if they wanted to. I always use my American Express to pay for gas and the last time the price was up. When I checked my bill I had actually spent less for gas then before since I was not making wasted trips. It was fun, you kind of make a game out of it.

Make lists of what you need to do and combine trips instead of just getting behind the wheel and heading out to the Home Depot because you have nothing better to do. I even began shopping on line. I got in the habit of buying my office supplies on line from Office Depot. They have free delivery with a $50.00 order and the on line prices average 10 to 20% lower then the store prices for even more savings, not to mention the time you save.
That is some great advice macguy. I saw a story on the news about UPS saving millions a year by only taking right-hand turns. They map out their routes so they have the minimal amount of left turns because it saves so much time waiting to turn and cuts down on the amount of turnarounds. I tried it when I went out on errands and it not only saved time but it cuts down on how much gas I use. Just like you said, try to make a game out of it and it is almost fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:17 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,283,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
A Chevron gas station in Orlando near the airport charging $4 for a gallon of regular. The station was also selling Plus gas for $4.09 and charging $4.19 for premium gas.

Way expensive for the average family to go visit the mouse, this will reflect later on other areas of Central Florida. I was surprised we are in the $2.87 per gallon at Wal-Mart.

Are the other Florida areas also reaching the $4.00 price tag?
Near the airport and near Disney you will find these outrageous prices. I do not know how they get away with it but they always have. There is a gas station right as you leave the parking lot at the Magic Kingdom that is always at least $1 more than anywhere else it town. However, just a few miles away off of 535 and Osceola Parkway you will find the lowest price gas in Central Florida. It is weird but that is the way it has always been.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj_fla View Post
Near the airport and near Disney you will find these outrageous prices. I do not know how they get away with it but they always have. There is a gas station right as you leave the parking lot at the Magic Kingdom that is always at least $1 more than anywhere else it town. However, just a few miles away off of 535 and Osceola Parkway you will find the lowest price gas in Central Florida. It is weird but that is the way it has always been.
What is the lowest price?

Old 04-23-2007, 06:32 PM

77 posts, read 480,925 times
$2.69 at the Valero on the corner here in Texas

Old 04-23-2007, 06:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What is the lowest price?

I live in South Lake County (Clermont) and got gas at Walmart today for $2.78.9. That's with a CC or gift card's 3 cent discount. Other stations were from $2.81.9 - $2.87.9.

cmj is correct. Prices around the airport are outrageously more expensive. It's the "welcome" to visitors who are renting cars in that same area. If they only knew they could drive a couple miles farther before filling up, they'd save some $$.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 AM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,684 times
This article is not good news on gas prices, I may have to park my truck and break out the riding lawn mower for transportation...lol..

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=afOlUzd30YOo

Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
Folks,

give it a year or two until it hits and stays at $4 per gallon. About a year and a half ago was touring Greece, and as many people know prices in Europe are anywhere between $4 and $5 per gallon depeding on country. Part of the trip was to drive into Turkey, to vist Istanbul and then paid close to $6 per gallon(!) as Europe prices felt more "reasonable". Now with the falling dollar those prices overseas are probably even higher to Americans based on currency exchange.
Remember that a large portion of European gas prices are taxes.... That's not to say that we still won't see $4 gas... Just that Europe prices thier gas out a little differently than we do (though we still tax the bejesus out of our gas too )....

Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Remember that a large portion of European gas prices are taxes.... That's not to say that we still won't see $4 gas... Just that Europe prices thier gas out a little differently than we do (though we still tax the bejesus out of our gas too )....
Make no mistake: the price of the raw gas is about the same as the U.S., but Europe taxes gasoline at a higher rate. At the moment, taxes in France make up about 70 percent of the pump price. For comparison, the U.S. federal gasoline tax of of 2005 was 18.4 cents per gallon, with each State adding between 10 and 33 cents of tax, according to Widipedia. That makes the maximum gasoline tax rate 17% in the U.S.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM

We are getting very close to $3.00, cheapest is $2.89 in Tiger Point. Would the cost reach $4.00 by December?

Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM

381 posts, read 1,686,094 times
What do I think about the price of gas? I don't like it, I don't completely understand why it goes up so much this time of year, and down during the fall and winter. But there's really nothing I can do about it.

I did, however, receive the following in an e-mail. Hopefully it will put a smile on our faces (despite our half-full gas tanks and completely empty pockets):

Compare the following with gasoline......

•Diet Snapple 16 oz/$1.29 = $10.32 per gallon

•Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz/$1.19 = $9.52 per gallon

•Gatorade 20 oz/$1.59 = $10.17 per gallon

•Ocean Spray 16 oz/$1.25 = $10.00 per gallon

•Brake Fluid 12 oz/$3.15 = $33.60 per gallon

•Vick's Nyquil 6 oz/$8.35 = $178.13 per gallon

•Pepto Bismol 4 oz/$3.85 = $123.20 per gallon

•Whiteout 7 oz/$1.39 = $25.42 per gallon

•Scope 1.5 oz/$0.99 = $84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

•Evian water 9 oz/$1.49 = $21.19 per gallon?!

$21.19 for WATER! and the buyers don't even know the source (interestingly, "Evian" spelled backwards is "Naive").

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, or Whiteout (or, heaven forbid, Pepto Bismol or Nyquil!).

PS: I think the Whiteout is supposed to say 0.7 ounces, in which case it would be about $125/gallon.

Last edited by SunKrist; 05-02-2007 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida