Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 AM

288 posts, read 543,349 times

Advertisements

Most of the hurricanes hit below orlando. I don't have a link but the hurricane center has a historical map and you will see that south florida is very high risk, central fla is medium risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:04 AM

288 posts, read 543,349 times
Ps, john d rockefeller hired a team of experts to find him the perfect place for his winter home. They determined ormond beach fla (daytona) was the best spot due to the warm weather and low hurricane risk.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:45 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
I am originally from PA, but have lived in FL since 1981. I have lived in Boca Raton, Key West (briefly), Spring Hill, Tampa, and finally Naples.

Your best bet might be to emphasize your medical experience. The other thing, if you can even find a job, is the salary scale will probably be lower than what you are used to. AFAIK the only aerospace industry in FL is Melbourne and the panhandle. I'm not sure about that, though.

I'm not familiar enough with any of those three areas to give advice. I would look in the Orlando and Sarasota forums for specifics.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:43 AM

225 posts, read 644,099 times
Actually, Lake Mary and Oviedo could give you desired combo of jobs and somewhat affordable housing. With Lake Mary, you could commute from Deltona. With Oviedo, there might be homes in the east. Traffic is a little rough.

Try checking on those places.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 AM

14 posts, read 46,977 times
Default The Space Coast

We live in Indialantic (beachside) just over the causeway from Melbourne FL. We are a little over an hours drive to Orlando but a whole different world. Housing is affordable (even before the housing market bottomed out), almost all neighborhoods are good w/very low crime. We have a number of aerospace and high tech companies located here, plus a university FIT (Florida Inst of Technology a private university w/emphasis on high tech) and a junior college. We have 2 regular hospitals and a smaller one n the area The Melbourne Art Festival has been rated in the top 100 shows in the nation for eleven consecutive years. Although we have a mall, we also have downtown Melbourne. There are only 2 shops that can be found any where else. One is a chocolate shop and the other is a candle shop. There are a number of restaurants, shops, a 2 small live theatres, coffee house, sports bars, antique shops etc.

Unlike the west coast of Florida, getting around Melbourne is easy and the people who live here are unpretentious.

Needless to say, we love living here. [/SIZE]

Last edited by 1hyplady; 08-15-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 PM

19 posts, read 74,227 times
Does anyone have an opinion about Merritt Island?

Old 11-25-2009, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,105 times
Does anyone have any info on the availability of teaching jobs in the Tampa/Sarasota area? I had heard from a real estate agent down there that supposedly some new legislation has passed in which classroom sizes have to be smaller and so teachers are needed. Is this true?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexy1519 View Post
Does anyone have any info on the availability of teaching jobs in the Tampa/Sarasota area? I had heard from a real estate agent down there that supposedly some new legislation has passed in which classroom sizes have to be smaller and so teachers are needed. Is this true?

A few years ago voters statewide passed a class size amendment which is being phased in. The problem is everyone has budget problems and cannot meet the requirements without a tax increase or some other funding.

There is talk of legislation to repeal that amendment.

I don't know specifically about Tampa and Sarasota, though.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,906 times
i"m moving to daytona beach fl and coming from where i live which is illinios i really hope it's worth the move. does anyone has any info for me as far as jobs,weather,(hurricanes) schools,and most and foremost crime rates.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
I would Suggest Tallahassee. I grew up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida