Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,410 times

Advertisements

I’m new to this list. I happen to live in Lakeland. We moved here from upstate N.Y. in 2004 just four days before all the hurricanes. I think Lakeland is a great place to live.

The colleges here are Florida Southern College, a private school it is expensive but has a small high school atmosphere. My daughter attends there and loves it. Polk Community College and USF share a campus and Southeastern is another college in the area.

I live in south Lakeland because the realtor directed us to this end of town at the time because of the high school in the area. We have a new outdoor mall, a lot of restaurants, many parks and walking trails and it’s a very dog friendly.

The middle of the town between north and south Lakeland are the areas that you people have touched upon here but its really not that bad. The city is very clean and they promote it very well. (Lots of shops, restaurants, farmers market with a park setting. I love it! The taxes are cheaper here in Polk County then in other counties. However, Lakeland Electric is one of the most expensive because of some problems years ago that have been passed along to the customers.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 06:13 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamscape View Post
I’m new to this list. I happen to live in Lakeland. We moved here from upstate N.Y. in 2004 just four days before all the hurricanes. I think Lakeland is a great place to live.

The colleges here are Florida Southern College, a private school it is expensive but has a small high school atmosphere. My daughter attends there and loves it. Polk Community College and USF share a campus and Southeastern is another college in the area.

I live in south Lakeland because the realtor directed us to this end of town at the time because of the high school in the area. We have a new outdoor mall, a lot of restaurants, many parks and walking trails and it’s a very dog friendly.

The middle of the town between north and south Lakeland are the areas that you people have touched upon here but its really not that bad. The city is very clean and they promote it very well. (Lots of shops, restaurants, farmers market with a park setting. I love it! The taxes are cheaper here in Polk County then in other counties. However, Lakeland Electric is one of the most expensive because of some problems years ago that have been passed along to the customers.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks you, tamscape! How much more expensive is the electric? We would only be buying a small (1200 - 1500 sq. ft) home. Also, what kind of damage did the hurricanes do around there? Lakeland is almost the center of the state, so I wondered about that. Where is the farmer's market - I love those! Last, how do you compare Lakeland to other places you have lived?

Thanks for your comments!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,410 times
How much more expensive is the electric?

Do a google search on lakeland electric or go to theledger.com and you will see all the stories on that issue. I have a 2300sq.ft house with a pool/fountain and irrigation system for the lawn. However, I have my parents living with me (mom uses oxygen)and a big family that visits all time! So I think my bill is more than most around $350 winter to $600 in the summer. Depending on how you live yours might be less.

We would only be buying a small (1200 - 1500 sq. ft) home. Also, what kind of damage did the hurricanes do around there? Lakeland is almost the center of the state, so I wondered about that.

We got hit directly by 3 storms. I live in a neighborhood on a small lake and the houses on the lake got roof damage during the last storm. My pool screen collapsed and I had roof damage as well. Coming from upstate N.Y. we had no idea what to expect but it wasn't the storms that bothered us as much as the frequency of them. My outside furniture spent more time inside than I did!(lol) We didn't lose power for long, only 1 day. We do have a generator and that helped alot.

Where is the farmer's market -

The farmers market is held in the city early in Sat. mornings. It is something new that they had years ago and kinda resumed. I have never been,but they advertise it alot. They have First Friday too. The first Friday of the month the stores in the city stay open late and there are food vendors. I haven't been to that either but do plan to get to that stuff. There is alot do to here so its tough to choose. One of my favorite things is Mugs and Movies its a cinema where you can eat and watch a movie. My kids love it too. Now depending on where you are coming from maybe that wouldn't be for you! We lived near Syracuse, NY more out in the country so being close to everything here is new to us so we tend to feel like kids in candy store!

Last, how do you compare Lakeland to other places you have lived?

I was born and raised in upstate NY and there are things that I really miss about it there. Florida is different because for most of us our first experience was a vacation and when you live here its really like living anywhere but with better weather.

I still find myself waiting to go home every now and then but I enjoy living here and my family does as well.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:56 PM

523 posts, read 2,830,147 times
Ashley6856
Welcome , you will be happy you picked Lakeland. We love it here.

We researched lots of counties, near here and everything was much more costly. Homes are so reasonable here, Taxes are great too, We live on Northside by Lakeland Mall, ours is 17,00 mileage, My car insurance with Geico dropped like 600 a yr from my move from Brandon Hillsborough county. My cousin lives on South Lakeland near the College his is alittle higher in city limits,like 20.00 milage. I love both North and South Lakeland,
They both have Mall now, and theaters, shopping and restaurants.
Home in our sub have really dropped in price the last 3mos. We dont know where else you could get brand new 2 story 5bedroom 3 bath home 2500 sq ft for 202,000. Other builder is starting building at 160,000. for smaller home.
Lakeland has some pretty Lakes I think over 1000, in downtown they have swans by 100's. As far as the Electric bill, I see no difference in my bill here and in Brandon. We have 2140 sq ft with high ceiling in all rooms , it runs from 129.00 to 300 in JUly month. But we keep our air cooler than most.
Definately dont rent upstairs apt down here they are most costly to cool.
Newer apts are insulated better too. Lakeland has cheap apts too.
1bedrooms start at 600, where as everywhere else it is 1000.
There are some shady areas i avoid like right around the local hospital area.
otherwise I love this town. No traffic at nite, like Tampa, We have gotten so spoiled.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:45 PM

6 posts, read 29,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I myself asked questions about Lakeland a couple days ago and didn't get a single reply - I wonder why? Doesn't anyone here live in Lakeland who can offer advice?

We are considering a move there, I like the downtown area - seems nice and clean if a bit pricey. Please if anyone has any thoughts to offer please post - pro and con!
My husband and two children moved from NY in 1982. We first rented a home in Lakeland but now the children are grown and my husband and I live in Bartow Fl which is just 15 minutes from Lakeland. Bartow is a small town between Lakeland and Winter Haven, but like any place is starting to grow. My daughter, her husband and my 2 grandsons live in south Lakeland. South Lakeland has lot of places to eat and shop. Along with downtown Lakeland First Friday and the Farmer Market, they also host yearly a Car Show and also Mayfair which is a huge craft show. Bartow has several things during the year like the annual Art Festival and Car show in which they close several streets for Saturday and Sunday. There is also a large flee market on 92 that is open each weekend.

The taxes and the insurance have gone up since we have moved here but I still think it is not much different then what it is in NY. We have a home that is about 1450 square feet with a small in ground pool and a hot tub and our average utility bill is around $300.00-$350.00 month. The utility bills includes water, sewer, garbage, and electric.

As far as the hurricanes we were hit by 3 but we did not have any damage. In our neighborhood there were some trees down and some people lost some roof tiles but nothing major.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:00 PM

6 posts, read 29,606 times
Default propertys in Lakeland

One thing I forgot to mention, when you look to buy a house make sure you find out how much the taxes will be after you buy it not what the taxes are now. When a house is sold it the taxes are adjusted to the sell price or market value. So if you look at a home for $175,000.00 the owners might be paying $1200.00 a year as they have owned it for quite awhile and have homestead on it but when you buy it the taxes could go to $3000.00 to $4000.00.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 15,174 times
Hi I live in lakeland my husband has worked here for a year and we moved here in March but came here a lot since we lived in the middle of nowhere.

There are things we like and dont like. We live in North lakeland if you go past the mall 8 minutes there are tons of subdivisions fo brand new houses its quiet but still around people and 5 minutes from walmart. the rent is cheap we rent a 3bd2ba 2 car garage house for 1000 a month on a 1/4 acre lot. There is a mix of people college kids senior citizens and young families. It's pretty churchy but that is most of florida. I hope you like it here it does seem like it has lots to offer

Old 04-28-2007, 02:11 PM

20 posts, read 79,630 times
Thanks everybody!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:35 AM

20 posts, read 79,630 times
what about shopping, fairs, amuament parks and things like that?

Old 04-30-2007, 06:45 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times
I don't live in Lakeland but my job takes me there regularly. I think it's a charming southern city- unlike any other in Florida. It seems to have maintained it's heritage rather than selling out to progress.

You mentioned a commute to downtown tampa- it may not be many miles, but traffic where I-4 and I-275 come together in Tampa is horriffic. And not just at rush hour- pretty much all day it's pretty bad.

But having Tampa so close is great- if there are challenges to eating out in Lakeland, you can be in Ybor City rather quickly and have some great cuban food or go further into tampa for dinner.

The negatives about Lakeland? Someone mentioned that Lakeland is very self contained- that is true. The established residents are not always very welcoming of "immigrants" from other areas. The word "transient" is used quite often there. It may take some time for you to feel welcome.

And it's hot as hades there in the summer. No coastal sea breezes to ease the heat and humidity.

But Air Conditioning can relieve that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida