Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 AM

75 posts, read 404,492 times

Advertisements

I would not get too excited about it; his brother is already in charge and is no different. I think you will see many politically uninformed make a big "to do" about it but essentially nothing will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 12:29 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
The question is, how long will Cubans put up with a failed government? They were more "Americanized" than much of Latin America, does anyone really think that they want to continue to be part of the third world? Any country that can keep 50 year old cars running with no parts, has to have plenty of ingenuity to build a viable economy. Once the communist system is removed, I can see the Cubans cashing in on medical tourism, prescription drugs, and a lower priced alternative travel destination than Florida. Sort of like a tropical Las Vegas.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:03 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Well.... I think I've said this before. Necessity is the mother of invention.
The more recently arrived to the US cubans are lacking many social skills, manners, and sometimes a good chunk of honesty. I attribute the latter to the survival tactics they face every day, whether it be freedom of speech, hunger, sickness, or just plain lack of a stove, refrigerator, soap, etc.

They come here and have to LEARN that we have to work for a living, to drive a car, to put food on the table, to send kids to school. There is no free ride like they had in Cuba.

Regardless, with everything that is wrong and missing, I have to hand it to these Cubans. The majority are "professionals" - doctors, architects, teachers, scientists, engineers. They are not dumb by any means and are well prepared intellectually. As we have seen, and Tallrick mentioned, they can keep their cars running for 50 years. They can turn a car into a amphibian vehicle. They CAN make a mountain out of a molehill.

So.....bottom line. I have no doubt in my mind that there will be plenty of highly qualified people to turn the island around fairly quickly.

As far as Raul, he's a capitalist. He sells his body and soul to the highest bidder. He knows what the US dollar means to Cuba. He will open the doors and will end up establishing free trade and travel.

Those who retire to Mexico and Costa Rica and Dominican Republic do because they haven't been able to retire in Cuba, but there are more retirees in the works who will.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:40 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Well.... I think I've said this before. Necessity is the mother of invention.
The more recently arrived to the US cubans are lacking many social skills, manners, and sometimes a good chunk of honesty. I attribute the latter to the survival tactics they face every day, whether it be freedom of speech, hunger, sickness, or just plain lack of a stove, refrigerator, soap, etc.

They come here and have to LEARN that we have to work for a living, to drive a car, to put food on the table, to send kids to school. There is no free ride like they had in Cuba.

Regardless, with everything that is wrong and missing, I have to hand it to these Cubans. The majority are "professionals" - doctors, architects, teachers, scientists, engineers. They are not dumb by any means and are well prepared intellectually. As we have seen, and Tallrick mentioned, they can keep their cars running for 50 years. They can turn a car into a amphibian vehicle. They CAN make a mountain out of a molehill.

So.....bottom line. I have no doubt in my mind that there will be plenty of highly qualified people to turn the island around fairly quickly.

As far as Raul, he's a capitalist. He sells his body and soul to the highest bidder. He knows what the US dollar means to Cuba. He will open the doors and will end up establishing free trade and travel.

Those who retire to Mexico and Costa Rica and Dominican Republic do because they haven't been able to retire in Cuba, but there are more retirees in the works who will.
No, they go there and live in horrible cloisters of Americans because they can live on their social security checks. It is just economics, not the desire to live backwards, they are desperate. Given a choice, no American would be living primitively in Mexico.

I visited a friend in Costa Rico and had to drive on almost dirt roads like 100 miles to get to a place that was 20 miles away. There was no road going there, you had to drive a circumventing route. It took a whole day when with proper roads it would have taken about 30 minutes. Who in their right mind wants to live like that. My friend wanted me to move there, he said, "Bring a $100,000 American dollars and you live like a king". King of what, a dirt pile, no thanks.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
No, they go there and live in horrible cloisters of Americans because they can live on their social security checks. It is just economics, not the desire to live backwards, they are desperate. Given a choice, no American would be living primitively in Mexico.

I visited a friend in Costa Rico and had to drive on almost dirt roads like 100 miles to get to a place that was 20 miles away. There was no road going there, you had to drive a circumventing route. It took a whole day when with proper roads it would have taken about 30 minutes. Who in their right mind wants to live like that. My friend wanted me to move there, he said, "Bring a $100,000 American dollars and you live like a king". King of what, a dirt pile, no thanks.
Maybe your friend likes to live in the backwoods, more remote areas. He could live in the city too.

Economics is absolutely high on the list. Would you rather live here with a rope around your neck because your SS income isn't enough to pay your HOI and taxes? Do you want to end up in a Medicaid nursing home? Do you want to be alone and have no one to accompany you to the doctor, the grocery store, call 911 when you're unconscious in the middle of the night?

Hey, I won't be able to live like I live now once I retire. Trust me, I have all my ducks in a row so that I CAN enjoy SOME of my retirement years and if those ducks can be stretched so that I can live comfortably, securely, have help at home, company maybe, WHY NOT?

Cuba's infrastructure may not be up to the standards most of us are accustomed to and have come to expect with a sense of entitlement, but Cuba was way ahead of even Florida and many other states FIFTY years ago. Who says it can't be again?

Have you been to Havana? Have you been to Varadero? Have you been to the Keys across from Caibarien?

Give me a break.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Maybe your friend likes to live in the backwoods, more remote areas. He could live in the city too.

Economics is absolutely high on the list. Would you rather live here with a rope around your neck because your SS income isn't enough to pay your HOI and taxes? Do you want to end up in a Medicaid nursing home? Do you want to be alone and have no one to accompany you to the doctor, the grocery store, call 911 when you're unconscious in the middle of the night?

Hey, I won't be able to live like I live now once I retire. Trust me, I have all my ducks in a row so that I CAN enjoy SOME of my retirement years and if those ducks can be stretched so that I can live comfortably, securely, have help at home, company maybe, WHY NOT?

Cuba's infrastructure may not be up to the standards most of us are accustomed to and have come to expect with a sense of entitlement, but Cuba was way ahead of even Florida and many other states FIFTY years ago. Who says it can't be again?

Have you been to Havana? Have you been to Varadero? Have you been to the Keys across from Caibarien?

Give me a break.
Actually I have been to Havana. The main reason my father came here from New Jersey to have a closer proximity to Cuba but then everything came to an end, but I was there a bunch of times. My friend lives in a huge Villa with servants running all over the place. He is a marble imported from Italy and has cattle in Costa Rico. I was not kidding about the roads. You look at a map and the city you want to go to is right there but you don't have a road to get to it. England by the way can be like that. We here in the US are used to a highway system that takes you anywhere you want to go directly. It can be rare in other parts of the world.

Last edited by macguy; 08-25-2007 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Actually I have been to Havana. The main reason my father came here from New Jersey to have a closer proximity to Cuba but then everything came to an end, but I was there a bunch of times. My friend lives in a huge Villa with servants running all over the place. He is a marble imported from Italy and has cattle in Costa Rico. I was not kidding about the roads. You look at a map and the city you want to go to is right there but you don't have a road to get to it. England by the way can be like that. We here in the US are used to a highway system that takes you anywhere you want to go directly. It can be rare in other parts of the world.
Well your friend must really like it there and the lack of a US-like lifestyle with highways may not be important to him. Sounds like he could afford to live someplace with a road and a highway to somewhere.

I don't know when you were in Havana, or how old you were. I haven't been there in over 45 years. I know that it is destroyed now. But the "tourist" areas are not. I sure do hope Cuba will be free soon and fixed up enough (to my americanized standards) so I can live in some ocean front condo and travel back and forth whenever I want to.

Would much rather live in Cuba than Mexico or Nicaragua or Costa Rica, or even Dominican Republic. Maybe Panama.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Well your friend must really like it there and the lack of a US-like lifestyle with highways may not be important to him. Sounds like he could afford to live someplace with a road and a highway to somewhere.

I don't know when you were in Havana, or how old you were. I haven't been there in over 45 years. I know that it is destroyed now. But the "tourist" areas are not. I sure do hope Cuba will be free soon and fixed up enough (to my americanized standards) so I can live in some ocean front condo and travel back and forth whenever I want to.

Would much rather live in Cuba than Mexico or Nicaragua or Costa Rica, or even Dominican Republic. Maybe Panama.
My friend is eccentric, he is a big fat guy and looks just like Pavarotti . He will probably eat himself to death. He buys his marble and supervises the packing of it personally then fly's back. He used to take friends with him to Italy just to have company because he makes the trips so often it is boring to him. He is very wealthy but a little strange. He used to have a house in Hollywood near the beach but likes living where he is. I don't get it.

I don't understand places like Cuba. Cuba could rival Hawaii, Monaco or any place if they wanted to. Even places like Haiti could be a paradise yet they live like they do. I just don't get it. They need Steve Wynn to come down there.

Old 08-25-2007, 06:36 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Question Is Castro Dead

The NBC news mentioned that he might be dead, but is kept closed to the media... Any inside from the members?

Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
The NBC news mentioned that he might be dead, but is kept closed to the media... Any inside from the members?
He could be dead for a long time and no one would even know it. He seems as good as anyway. I doubt he has much capacity anymore. Half that island have never known anything but Castro it will be strange to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida