Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:36 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times

Advertisements

People are conditioned to dislike the police. People don't like to be told what or what not to do. Ever since they are kids, I hear their parents say "behave or I'll tell that policeman to take you to jail". Kids also see their parents ticketed and the parents response as they drive off is that the police are mean or evil. Some kids also see their parents arrested. Family members are upset when other family members are arrested. Criminals obviously dislike the police because we interfere in their plans. People who have a problem with authority and then you have those that are unfortunate to run into an officer with a power trip or who abuses their authority.

I treat people like I would like to be treated. I sleep very well at night knowing that I did my best. I use my discretion whenever possible. I save my citations for those who choose to drive recklessly or drunk. One of my pet peeves are those who dont put their kids in a car seat. I also don't have any problems writing people who drive without licenses or insurance. I tend to warn working people who commit minor violations. The way I see it is that there are plenty of dirt bags driving around that I could write tickets to. That doesnt mean that if I stop a working person doing 30mph over the speed limit or running red lights, that I'm going to let them off. It all depends on each situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 06:05 AM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoSix View Post
If tail light covers are illegal, then it doesn't matter how long they've been on. I've never been big on writing traffic tickets, but just because I choose not to enforce laws that I find silly does not mean that another officer who chooses to enforce that law is picking on you.

As for typing in the plate wrong, mistakes happen. I know....I've made them.

As for the original poster, if their account is true, then I would say they have a valid issue. Registration can be checked almost instantly, so even if the sticker showed expired, the officer would have been able to verify it's current status.

I'm not saying this is necessarily true, but often times the recollection of the person being pulled over isn't accurate, or their story reflects an obvious bias. I've had people tel me stories about an officer while not realizing that I was the officer in their story.....and their story was comletely off-base.
I have every respect for law enforcement, and I am GLAD that you guys are out there every day!! I sure wouldnt have the guts to do it!
But....I am telling the truth in my story, this did happen to us. I just bought the sticker for our car not even a month before we went on vacation. The officer told us that our sticker was expired, but it was clearly on the car!

Do out of state folks sometimes get pulled over more often that residents?

Old 04-28-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
My husband is in between cars right now (sudden jeep death !), so he's driving a truck that's been "making the rounds" in the family.

His nephew has put those covers on the back tailights...we tore them right off after seeing how much they block the brake lights.

The windows have been tinted dark - which we can't easily undo - and it is awful...they are absolutely a safety hazard - even in good weather, it hampers night vision (geez, they hamper DAY vision!).

These things are absolutely a safety hazard on the road - to EVERYONE on the road - the laws are there for a good reason.

I'm glad some officers spoke up here, it's so easy for people to blame the police when it's simply their job to enforce the law - they don't make the laws.
I understand this, and I was NOT breaking the law! I did not have the tailights covered or the windows tinted. We were not dealing drugs nor did we look suspicious. We were just two young kids taking a vacation in Daytona Beach. We made sure that our sticker was not expired.
I had no idea you could call the officers supervisor, or we would have done that!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
People are conditioned to dislike the police. People don't like to be told what or what not to do. Ever since they are kids, I hear their parents say "behave or I'll tell that policeman to take you to jail". Kids also see their parents ticketed and the parents response as they drive off is that the police are mean or evil. Some kids also see their parents arrested. Family members are upset when other family members are arrested. Criminals obviously dislike the police because we interfere in their plans. People who have a problem with authority and then you have those that are unfortunate to run into an officer with a power trip or who abuses their authority.

I treat people like I would like to be treated. I sleep very well at night knowing that I did my best. I use my discretion whenever possible. I save my citations for those who choose to drive recklessly or drunk. One of my pet peeves are those who dont put their kids in a car seat. I also don't have any problems writing people who drive without licenses or insurance. I tend to warn working people who commit minor violations. The way I see it is that there are plenty of dirt bags driving around that I could write tickets to. That doesnt mean that if I stop a working person doing 30mph over the speed limit or running red lights, that I'm going to let them off. It all depends on each situation.
Miami vice, you are right! I wish there were more officers like you out there!

Thank you for all your replies everyone.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:52 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:

No one is knocking the job police do, few of us would do it for any price. But, the job does come with certain perks that some officers get off on. They have power and authority and this is a very sacred and intoxicating thing not to be abused but it often is. It is no accident when some of these less then desirable people end up in that line of work, they seek it out. They would, I dare say, do it for nothing if they had to, it feeds their ego's and that desire to be or feel important. It is not that unusual a behavior to exhibit, in fact most people do it to a degree.

They buy cars they can't afford, spend money on clothes, over priced accessories. The designer clothes that sport the label to tell people how much you paid are all forms of, "Look at me, I want to feel important". Some cops are the same with their uniform and gun and you never know when you deal with a cop if you are dealing with one of these mental cases. Make no mistake, there are a lot of them, people don't make these stories up or have a problems with authority, they know when they are being intimidated or abused. Like I said before, I used to work with an ex cop who was a cop for 7 years. He said it was like a secret fraternity and you are either in or not. He was not, to him it was just his job not what defined his life or him as a human being..

Some of those guys think of nothing else their job is their whole life. They socialize with only cops and cops families and their job seems to be all they have, they are at the station even when they are not on duty. These fanatics can be good cops but they have a problem that can raise it's head now and then. I know you know them whether you want to admit it or not. Lets face it, cops are a necessary evil I am afraid. We hire them to enforce rules and protect us from each other. It is a shame they are even required but that would be living in a fantasy.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:24 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,160,105 times
Oh I have a little story.

Once upon a time :-), about a year and a half ago or so, I was driving home from work in one of those stop, stop, stop traffic streets.
There's a policeman behind me. I smoke and so my window was open. After a while, I just flicked the butt out. Believe it or not, I have a no-smoking car - no ashtray! I found out after I signed all the papers and was driving out from the dealership.

Anyway... All of a sudden this cop comes over to my car with all kinds of BS about the butt I just flicked out the window. He basically stopped traffic even more because his car and mine were blocking everything. He then told me I had to get out of the car and go pick up the butt. I told him, you stay here with my car, my belongings, you watch my rear-end for crazies trying to get around us and then when I'm back in my car, you may leave.
Well, he did it and I picked up my butt.

To this day I remember that incident every day on that street. For the longest time it really, really bothered me that this guy was so bored and so dumb wasting my time and his with such nonsense, instead of going after all the crack dealers and rapists, etc.

I have a lot of respect for policemen and women and do actually trust them and would depend on them but this guy should not be in the force!

Old 04-28-2007, 08:54 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
They buy cars they can't afford, spend money on clothes, over priced accessories. The designer clothes that sport the label to tell people how much you paid are all forms of, "Look at me, I want to feel important". Some cops are the same with their uniform and gun and you never know when you deal with a cop if you are dealing with one of these mental cases. Make no mistake, there are a lot of them, people don't make these stories up or have a problems with authority, they know when they are being intimidated or abused. Like I said before, I used to work with an ex cop who was a cop for 7 years. He said it was like a secret fraternity and you are either in or not. He was not, to him it was just his job not what defined his life or him as a human being..

Some of those guys think of nothing else their job is their whole life. They socialize with only cops and cops families and their job seems to be all they have, they are at the station even when they are not on duty. These fanatics can be good cops but they have a problem that can raise it's head now and then. I know you know them whether you want to admit it or not. Lets face it, cops are a necessary evil I am afraid. We hire them to enforce rules and protect us from each other. It is a shame they are even required but that would be living in a fantasy.
I don't get the part where you are saying that they buy things that they can't afford. I really don't see it any different than anyone in another profession. There are all kinds of characters working within the force. Most of the people that I have the pleasure of working with are good hardworking people who really want to make a difference. They put their lives on the line to protect the public. There are a few though that have power trips and who let the job go to their head.

Some people are automatically intimidated by the police just because of the uniform. I always have people the come across very defensive until I begin speaking with them. Once they realize that I'm not a robot and that I am there to resolve a problem, they tend to relax. Someone once told me that fear turns into hate and that some people who have had bad experiences with police or who have been conditioned to dislike the police turn their fear into hate.

As far as a secret fraternity. I know that in the old days cops would hang out together more often and would cover up for each other. I believe that this is not common anymore. I'm not willing to lose my career and go to jail over some cop's mistake. I don't hang out with any cops when I'm off-duty. I go to work for 8 hours and go home to my family. Find out why your friend is an ex-cop. Maybe he did what you are stating in your post. To me it's been a great 13 years. I have another 12 to go. It sounds like a lot but time flies when you are going call to call in this county.

oceandreams, to answer your question about out of state people. I don't pay more attention to out of state tags. I think that you were just unfortunate to have a moron stop you. If you ever feel that you are being treated unfairly, don't hestitate to contact the on duty supervisor immediately.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:10 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
I don't get the part where you are saying that they buy things that they can't afford. I really don't see it any different than anyone in another profession. There are all kinds of characters working within the force. Most of the people that I have the pleasure of working with are good hardworking people who really want to make a difference. They put their lives on the line to protect the public. There are a few though that have power trips and who let the job go to their head.

Some people are automatically intimidated by the police just because of the uniform. I always have people the come across very defensive until I begin speaking with them. Once they realize that I'm not a robot and that I am there to resolve a problem, they tend to relax. Someone once told me that fear turns into hate and that some people who have had bad experiences with police or who have been conditioned to dislike the police turn their fear into hate.

As far as a secret fraternity. I know that in the old days cops would hang out together more often and would cover up for each other. I believe that this is not common anymore. I'm not willing to lose my career and go to jail over some cop's mistake. I don't hang out with any cops when I'm off-duty. I go to work for 8 hours and go home to my family. Find out why your friend is an ex-cop. Maybe he did what you are stating in your post. To me it's been a great 13 years. I have another 12 to go. It sounds like a lot but time flies when you are going call to call in this county.

oceandreams, to answer your question about out of state people. I don't pay more attention to out of state tags. I think that you were just unfortunate to have a moron stop you. If you ever feel that you are being treated unfairly, don't hestitate to contact the on duty supervisor immediately.
I wrote "It is not that unusual a behavior to exhibit, in fact most people do it to a degree." Then went on to explain the extent some go to, to feel important. If you read my post you will see I said my friend was no one of the in crowd and the whole culture of being a cop was distasteful to him as well as the people he worked with. There are some real bad cops in Florida. I know one guy who applied to every large agency and could not get a job. Now he is a cop in Light house point the only place that would hire him. Believe me this guy is a total idiot. He is one of the guys I mentioned who would probably pay them to carry a gun and screw with people.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:57 AM

70 posts, read 311,272 times
I thought I was going to stand alone in this thread. I'm glad to see that I have some "backup".

Anyway, I think the others have said it well enough.

VPcats, I must say, while I was never a big fan of writing traffic tickets, people flicking cigarettes out the window is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I'd have stopped you too.

You called the cop bored and "so dumb". You throw the piece of trash that is ON FIRE out your window, and he's the dumb one......

Granted, I wouldn't make you get out and pick it up, instead politely informing you that cigarette butts are still litter. You wouldn't throw a McDonald's cup or an empty pack of smokes out the window, so what makes the butt any different?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:31 AM

177 posts, read 684,363 times
Moderator cut: removed (the off-topic post you were quoting/replying to has been deleted)

I think you would learn a lot if you got to do some ride alongs with cops on duty.
Sure there are those who have what we call the "John Wayne" syndrome but they are a small portion of the hardworking cops who are out there trying to make a difference. Just like there are a small minority of citizens who believe that we should accept littering and not enforce the anti littering ordinances and laws.
In Georgia, they have been fighting a brush fire for days and Florida has been facing drought conditions for a while so I think that the cops should be stopping those who would flick their cigarettes out the window of their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida