Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you ENJOY the FL 9-month summer?
Yes, I love the massive heat! 129 56.09%
No, I hate the massive heat! 101 43.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i bet if i told vafury that i won 2 million in the fla lotto, he'd tell me he won 3 million in the virginia lotto.
I would if I actually did.....

Of course this thread was about the weather wasn't it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Im not a fan of big heat, but after suffering 9 month winters
and the cost of them financially and mentally Im ready to trade !
9 month winters? where did you live?, near the arctic cicle?

Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
If you think Florida is hot, you need to try Texas summers...100 degrees for literally a month or more, the temp at night doesn't drop below 90 AND no rain to cool things off...everything brown and dead, watering restrictions make it imposible to keep lawns alive. I used to go out at night to get my mail...the cement of my drive way was still so hot, I could have fried an egg on it. Not for me, I can tell you.
You said above you loved heat and humidity in a previous post. Also, correct me if I am wrong but isn't it Florida that is having the severe drought, not Texas. Also I don't know where you lived in Texas, but near to the Gulf there is almost always a afternoon T-Storm to cool things off! Face it, the weather is the same in TX as Florida!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:50 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
There's an afternoon storm rumbling in the distance right now as i type this.....

Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,215,703 times
from the nc forum:

Some reported highs from around the state today (6/8/07).

Lumberton - 97
Fayetteville - 96
Raleigh-Durham - 96
Charlotte - 95
New Bern - 92
Elizabeth City - 92
Wilmington - 92
Greensboro - 91
Asheville - 89
Cape Hatteras - 82

National Weather Service

Old 07-10-2007, 08:25 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
from the nc forum:

Some reported highs from around the state today (6/8/07).

Lumberton - 97
Fayetteville - 96
Raleigh-Durham - 96
Charlotte - 95
New Bern - 92
Elizabeth City - 92
Wilmington - 92
Greensboro - 91
Asheville - 89
Cape Hatteras - 82

National Weather Service
Not real sure what this has to do with the weather in FL...
I had the rare opportunity to compare NC summer to Miami summer back to back when I flew down to visit family in early June. I personally prefer the NC heat as opposed to the subtropical heat in FL, a feeling I can only describe to those that complain of the humidity here in Raleigh as like being in a sweaty armpit.

Anyway, having spent my entire life in Miami, I never got used to the excessive and prolonged heat+humidity. I always looked forward to the "winter", when we got any. I have respiratory issues due to a childhood illness, and breathing during exercise was always an issue for me in Miami - so 9 months of that is not too pleasant. My mother also grew up in Miami, and without A/C for many years - she swears that the heat and humidity have gotten worse and the thunderstorms less like clockwork than they once were.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:59 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Miami is hotter at night then it used to be because of all the development, Latin destruction of trees, and numerous air conditioners pushing heat in the environment. Instead of wetlands evaporating heat we have asphalt and concrete soaking it up and releasing it. As a child I remember nightime temps in the 75-81 range in the summer, now in the same area they are 78-85 on days when it does not rain. Thunderstorms were often every other day but now are in clusters of a week or two, then nothing.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami is hotter at night then it used to be because of all the development, Latin destruction of trees, and numerous air conditioners pushing heat in the environment. Instead of wetlands evaporating heat we have asphalt and concrete soaking it up and releasing it. As a child I remember nightime temps in the 75-81 range in the summer, now in the same area they are 78-85 on days when it does not rain. Thunderstorms were often every other day but now are in clusters of a week or two, then nothing.
I was talking with someone who grew up in Cooper City in the 70s, and he was telling me about how during the winter, it used to get down into the 20s at night fairly commonly out here, and now it just doesn't happen anymore.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:00 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
So what if Virgina, NC, SC, GA are hot, yes Florida is hot too. The difference between Florida's summers and Virginas summers is, Florida will be hot and humid for 6 months. Virgina will have only 3-4 months of heat/humidity. IMO 2-3 months less of heat/humidity wins. And up north the nights are cool also which is nice.
6 (six)months ONLY??? Ha ha ha.... try 9 (nine) months! That is more like it.

I think that 80 in the morning with 100% humidity on April 2 IS summer, is it not? How about Christmas day being 88 degrees with 100% humidity? Is that not summer weather?

Summer in Florida goes from roughly April 2 - Dec 25 of every year and usually Jan - March is out winter and it gets nice and chilly. Low humidity during the days in the winter and much cooler due to the humidity at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
9 month winters? where did you live?, near the arctic cicle?
He must be trying to say 9-month summer in FL.... I dunno! He must be in Alaska if he says 9-month winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
There's an afternoon storm rumbling in the distance right now as i type this.....
There is a lightning storm every day in FL during the 9-month summer. During the 3month winter, you pretty much never get any rain at all.
So during the 9-month summer, FL gets rain non-stop.... FL gets a "summer shower" every day between 10am-11am and 3pm-4pm and then the sun come sout and it causes this horrible steam to rise and it makes things even more humid and more uncomfortable. YUCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
It is hotter at night because of the higher humidity at night and the steam rising from the concrete and the swamp water "lakes" and ponds nearby.

Trees in Miami.... WHAT trees?? They actually have trees in Miami.... wow, I don't remember seein any last time I was there....

Last time I was in Miami all I saw was smog, rude drivers, billboards in Espanol, and trash everywhere on the streets and on the grass, car blasting loud Spanish music, people on corners of roads everywhere, some shoddy looking element all wearing the same exact clothes, baseball hat (gang, probably) etc. Maybe I missed seeing the trees because I was too shocked with so much bad stuff and was looking out for crajackers???

Old 07-10-2007, 01:24 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Default Oh and as a clarification....

I talked to a friend of mine today who said it must be 110 today in Orlando. I told the guy "it's the heat index" that makes it feel like your face is on fire and you sweat like a wild hog in a rodeo.

So I went to weather.com and the obvious answer to the problem surfaced:

HEAT INDEX!

It is showing the temp is 91 in Orlando today with 54% humidity (can you imagine when the 100% humidity sinks in after the 3-pm-4pm showers?).

But it feels like 98 degress right now!! Mind you, once the humidity reaches 100% (trust me, it will, been there done that since high school), it will feel probably like 105... 110.... lovely weather.

Oh and it's only 91 right now because it is partially clouded. If the sun was out, it would be hitting 98 - 100 easy. But even at 91 (feeling like 98 degrees) according to my friend, people are sweating through their jeans and he said his face feels like it is on fire!!

Right now it's 72 degrees where I am at.... 41% humidity... I have my windows open, there is a nice breeze coming in. Life is good. Oh yeah, that is if you are NOT in hot and muggy Florida right now!! Ha ha ha.... I LOVE looking @ the weather in FL.... talking to family who have been holed up at home since April because of the heat and then I tell them "I just went out for an afternoon stroll and now I am sitting outside with my laptop, drinking lemonade, enjoying the sun and the cool breeze. Not one drip of sweat!". You can hear them boiling on the other side of the line!!

Here is the weather in Orlando (attached). Oh and the pollen is SUPER HIGH right now, which makes it even more "enjoyable" to be in FL... lots of heat humidity, and pollen... sounds like the perfect recipe for a headache!
Attached Thumbnails
Do YOU enjoy the FL 9-month summer?-fl-weather.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida