Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 24,212 times

Advertisements

Hello...
My husband and I would seriously like to move to PCB. I am a high school teacher and he is a paralegal. We work in Chicago and I understand that we will both take steep pay cuts if we do move, but my question is, are there any jobs for teachers and paralegals in the area? I have searched online and found a little information on teachers, but almost nothing on paralegals. Is there an area within 45 minutes or so that would have these kinds of jobs? Any large law firms, or just smaller practices? Has anyone relocated to PCB? If so, please tell me what your experience has been.
I greatly appreciate your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlover8075 View Post
Hello...
My husband and I would seriously like to move to PCB. I am a high school teacher and he is a paralegal. We work in Chicago and I understand that we will both take steep pay cuts if we do move, but my question is, are there any jobs for teachers and paralegals in the area? I have searched online and found a little information on teachers, but almost nothing on paralegals. Is there an area within 45 minutes or so that would have these kinds of jobs? Any large law firms, or just smaller practices? Has anyone relocated to PCB? If so, please tell me what your experience has been.
I greatly appreciate your help!!
Why, may I ask, PCB?
It seems you've done little research so far.

I've always found that the best way to gain that type of information is face-to-face not online...
In other words, it's easy for people to offer a bleak viewpoint online or on the phone. They get so many inquiries that they all seem the same. "No, we're not taking any applications right now..."

Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Well, I suppose that I have done little research so far. I kinda thought this would be a good starting point. Just hoping to get some insights. What you said about the bleak viewpoint online or over the phone makes a lot of sense, so thanks for that.

I just fell in love with PCB, I don't really know why. I want to be near the ocean because Lake Michigan just doesn't have the same appeal. Most of the time it is way too cold to swim in, the rest of the time the bacteria levels are too high so the beaches are closed. The ocean rocks!

Weather... So sick of shoveling snow! I have been asked, "why not just visit FL and live here?" I guess I just don't see the point of living in Chicago anymore when half of the year is so cold. It is such a bummer to have to deal with the bitter cold... and I do mean bitter! Sometimes, it hurts just going from your car to your home! I like the heat. Summer is my favorite. Why not live somewhere warmer, right?

For some reason I just feel drawn to the area. Does that make sense?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 AM

807 posts, read 3,186,244 times
Well, that makes perfect sense! Yeah...Lake Michigan or The Emerald Coast...no contest!
This isn't a bad place to start looking for information, but this is mostly opinions and those can be jaded.
This area seems to be focused on real estate law, so experience there would help. I believe Tallahassee would offer more options in the legal field. This is where more focused research will gain a clearer picture.

Our son just graduated from South Walton High in Santa Rosa Beach. Small school with 114 in his class. He/we loved it... Wonderful staff. I know you'd get further with a sit down with the principal than a call to the office to inquire about employment. There are many schools in the area and I wish I could opinionate on the others but our experience has just been here.

My best suggestion would be: take a week (or 2!) to visit and explore the area. Get your information sorted out before you come and get a feel for PCB. You may find that Destin or Ft. Walton Beach suit you better. Arrainge some interviews for your visit (and you can write off your trip!) so you'll see the schools and law firms up close and personal. Let me know if you need a place to stay as that's our business.

I've been all over Florida and will tell you that these beaches are second to none. Flat out gorgeous! (there's that opinion thing I mentioned)

It does drop into the 20's in Jan. but it's brief. We have friends and family in Chicago who also hate the weather (and taxes) but can't pull themselves away. Oh, well...

Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Wish I could be more encouraging about the employment situation. It's never been great for white collar work unless you're talking Department of Defense, and it's even worse now.

The job market is not good for teachers in the Panhandle right now. K-12 funding is an utter mess, and many districts are either looking at laying people off or are in a hiring freeze. If there is hiring, those jobs will probably go to people who were laid off the next county over, unless it's one of those high need positions. (ie. the only high school job open in Bay County right now is classified as Autism/ESE)

Bay County schools employment:

Employment

Okaloosa schools:

Educational Support and Instructional Positions (http://www.okaloosaschools.com/OkaloosaSchools/Jobs/EdSupportInstructional/tabid/285/Default.aspx - broken link)

Walton schools:

Walton County Schools

Santa Rosa Schools:

Department of Human Resources | SRCSD

Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 AM

Thank you so much! You two have given me great insights!! I appreciate it very much Also, thanks for the helpful links!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM

12 posts, read 43,280 times
I am moving to the area next week keep im touch ill give you the update of moving in!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speter25 View Post
I am moving to the area next week keep im touch ill give you the update of moving in!
Yes, please do! Best of luck to you! I'm very envious.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM

12 posts, read 43,280 times
Don't be just prepare yourself if you're serious about the move.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
I just recently moved to the Destin area, Niceville to be exact. The school district here is excellent, one of the best school systems in America today. I would strongly recommend you look at housing costs before moving to PCB. Even though there is a slump right now, you aren't going to find a great house out there for nothing.

Also, you've got to account for tourists. I live in a quiter part, across the bay from Destin, but I dread the drive over sometimes. Traffic on 98 is a mess on its better days, and we haven't hit the busy season yet I'm told.

I moved down from Michigan in Jan, the weather here is great, but it will get hotter. You're in for a culture shock if you're from Chicago as well, this is still very much a part of the south, lower Alabama as I've heard it called several times. People are very nice here, but they have traditions and are set in there ways sometimes.

On the bright side, the beachs are great, but you won't go to them everyday. Remember, you're moving here for life, not a vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida