Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 PM

38 posts, read 194,788 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am a Brit married to an American and living in London, UK at present. We came across a town called Mount Dora in florida and think we just might have found our ideal please to live...

Can anyone tell me more about it please?...

We are both in our early 50's and looking to get out of the rat race here.

Kind regards
Snow
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 04:06 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,767 times
I live in the Mt.Dora area. It is a really nice town. What do you want to know? Eustis and Tavares are all close together and refered to as the Golden Triangle area. Both Eustis and Tavares have nice subdivisions. Tavares is the county seat. We are somewhat becoming a bedroom community of Orlando. The 441 hwy corridor is under construction so it a mess right now, but when it is finished, it will be so worth it. We are about 45 min from Disney and about 1 hr 30 minutes to the beaches in the Daytona area. Sales tax is 7% and home prices (for a decent home in a nice subdivision) are 200,000 +.

Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,550 times
Downtown MT. Dora is rather quaint and very nice -- lots of antique shops. Frequently have special arts shows, boat shows and antique car shows. There are some really nice older homes in town, turn of the century type, but many new developments outside of the city. You may want to buy a boat with all the lakes (it is in Lake County!) and canals in the area.

I don't live in Mt. Dora but enjoy a day over there once in a while!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:55 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,865 times
I too live in Mt. Dora and am building a house in Mt. Dora.
There are Brits here, even a restaurant.
Yeap, it's perfect. But for how long? None can answer; however, due to the housing downturn, we may yet have more years in peace and quite.
Like lawn bowling?
List specific questions, I'll try to help.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:39 PM

45 posts, read 211,593 times
I also live in Mount Dora and it is nice, alot nice then Orlando area, stay away from there. Your close to Eustis,Tavares,Leesburg area. They do have antique stores and downtown Mt. Dora has shops and they do have craft shows,boat shows,art shows. I am right down the road from Wal-Mart Supercenter, Target and a few other stores. We have lived in the Mt. Dora area for 6 yrs now and it is nice alot nicer then going down to the Apopka area and getting into Orlando area. If you have any queshtions ask away and I will try to help you out the best I can.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:42 PM

32 posts, read 226,002 times
Have a friend there for 20 years-he's a Manhattanite and still loves it. A diverse group of people there also. Nice and quiet but close to most everything and it's growing(too fast) with all the big box store conveniences so you really needn't travel for anything.

And there's HILLS(of a sort-the Appalchian footbumps). Great but polluted chain of lakes that lead you to the Atlantic via Jacksonville also...

Old 05-17-2007, 01:13 PM

38 posts, read 194,788 times
Smile Mount Dora

Thank you guys for your replies....we appreciate all that.

Does hurricains hit big time there?

Kind regards
Snow

Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,767 times
SnowCrystal
We in Lake county are as far inland as you can get so yes we get the hurricanes but with less intensity than the coastal residents. During the 2004 hurricane season, we had damage, mostly big trees down and roof shingles blowing off. During hurricanes, people who live in mobile homes are urged to evacuate, even inland. Power outages are a problem like the rest of Florida during hurricanes.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,123 times
Mount Dora is an excellent city. With that in mind, every city has it's "ugly" side. As long as you are in a descent part of town, there are no worries. There's plenty to do, you wouldn't be far from the big city life in Orlando and the attractions. The beaches aren't too far, an hour trip to Daytona, and about two hours to Tampa and Clearwater areas. There are also fresh water springs throughout the county, if you don't mind looking for the alligators first! Good Luck, it's a wonderful town, I've been a local here for about five years.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,239 times
If Mt. Dora was further southwest it would be on the top of my list to move in 2 years.
You really need to go to the town you want to move to, others can only direct you but you should visit and spend time in the town or towns of your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida