Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:22 PM

63 posts, read 263,438 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!! I have appreciated all the replies I have rec'd in recent wks. I know would like to ask for opinions on buying or renting a home in Florida. We have been wanting to move for some time now, but with a business to sell we have been "stalled" for longer than we like. So for over two yrs. now we have a wonderful agent down in WPB who has been very patient with all the questions we have. During our last phone conver.(yest.)he told us not to worry about loosing a house down there. That about 200 come on the market each week!! He feels in his opinion that the market will not begin to "upswing" for two to three yrs.. The feeling is it hasn't quite reached the bottom yet and needs to do that before it could climb again. So, he feels why not rent for now and "really look around" before purchasing. What is everyones feeling on this and the real estate market overall? Thanks, look forward to reading all who answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Rent. It's going to be longer than 2-3 yrs to get rid of inventory. The property tax issue is going to special session, hurricane season is about to start, & homeowners insurance is just beyond understanding.
Rent. Take your time. There are going to be lots of homes to choose nationwide for a long time.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Rent. I am holding on to my money from the sale of our house in New York.

Not the time to buy, ANYWHERE.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:21 PM

55 posts, read 286,681 times
It's almost a no-brainer: RENT.

But if you have some very niche-type needs in a property and one that matches your needs comes on the market, you may as well jump on it. It is a buyer's market and you might have to wait a long time before another match appears.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times
R E N T

R E N T

R E N T

Old 05-09-2007, 03:13 PM

Thanks everyone!! "All roads are leading toward"....the rent option. I think it will be for the best all around. We (me mostly) have issues with school, as I have stated before in posts. I just about 100% positive with location though, but something still "nags" at me about checking out Melbourne again. Haven't been there in about 17yrs. and I hear a lot of change has taken place. Posters have mentioned the good schools there, and the affordable housing. Any opinions on Melbourne? the mainland or the beachside? Thanks all!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Rent looks as the logical option....

Old 05-09-2007, 08:19 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,784 times
Talking Where you find him? Oh, and as to the question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vconnie View Post
now we have a wonderful agent down in WPB who has been very patient with all the questions we have. During our last phone conver.(yest.)he told us not to worry about loosing a house down there. That about 200 come on the market each week!! He feels in his opinion that the market will not begin to "upswing" for two to three yrs.. The feeling is it hasn't quite reached the bottom yet and needs to do that before it could climb again. So, he feels why not rent for now and "really look around" before purchasing. What is everyones feeling on this and the real estate market overall? Thanks, look forward to reading all who answer.
My god what an agent! Keep him. Bear him a son, anything!
This agent is much unusual; he's honest.

Oh, as to your question...I agree with the previous 6 posters. I will own because I am building my house without a builder; It will cost me about 50K less to do so. Even then, I might only break even if I decide to sell in a year after construction. Yeap, it's that bad.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:36 PM

458 posts, read 599,138 times
Rent....Rent....Rent.

Anyone who has any doubts should read the Housing Bubble Blog. You will find story after story that the Florida housing market has not even begun to come down. It will take years for this to play out.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:45 AM

Thanks again everyone! Renting seems to be the best way to go. The only way I think we would consider buying is if our "dream" house was to become available at some ridiculous price. As far as renting I am wondering if we should just rent as opposed to rent w/option to buy. I say this because I would not want to lock ourselves into a price right now if the price will continue to go down. And of course there would be a larger down with a rent to purschase. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida