Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 AM

14 posts, read 78,647 times

Advertisements

I am losing my mind sitting at this computer doing research trying to find the best place to move my family. My husband and i have 4 children and we live in NY. I have never lived anywhere else but I really HATE the winters here and have been wanting to leave for some time now. Here's what we are looking for: good schools(really can't afford private) I know the schools will not be like NY schools and that is great because although we have such 'great' schools I think my kids are under to much pressure to keep up with 'numbers and scores'. Also, are Charter schools better than reg schools? I need a safe neighborhood, really don't want to be too near Orlando(too busy for me), we have family in Ocala so somewhat close would be cool but not nec. and my husband would like to be somewhat near the ocean(no more than 3 hrs away). We are religious and would like a place that is tolerant of that(this year my kids school would not even allow 'santa' to visit). And of course somewhat affordable housing...lol our mortgage right now is around $900 a month. Now that I am typing it all out it sounds like a pretty tall order...lol no wonder I am having such a hard time...does such a place exist...lol Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,481,952 times
I think if you took a map out and looked at the state of Florida you would see you have given us a pretty good Idea of what part of the state you are look at. I would say you should look at Jacksonville down to Daytona on the coast. Also look at Ocala and Gainsville.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,147,383 times
Tallahassee sounds like the perfect place for all of those wishes Seriously.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,875,929 times
There isn't a place in the state more than about 75 minutes from the beach, though the stretch of coast from about Crystal River to Apalachicola in the Big Bend is pretty swampy. There are excellent and horrible charter schools in the state; you have to look at each school on a case by case basis. In terms of religous tolerance, general vibe is that your neighbors don't really care what faith you are or how you spend your Sunday mornings and expect you to do the same.

In terms of narrowing it down, find the job first, and then the city itself. Southeast Florida, the Naples area, and the central Panhandle tend to be the most expensive housing markets. You can find fairly reasonable in most of the rest of the state, and can probably go a bit higher on the sales price because property taxes hwere tend to be low compared to NY.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:20 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,943,692 times
You might want to try Sarasota county. You could pick up a home in North Port (southern Sarasota county) for around $100K, the schools are excellent, very kid friendly community, 30 minutes or less to the gulf.

You didn't mention your job situation. Will you be looking for a job when you move to FL?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,705,611 times
Look into deland fl

Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 78,647 times
thank you everyone for your replies! SOFLGAL: I didn't even think to mention the job situation...duh Thank you for bringing that up Well, my husband is currantly an acct manager for AArons rental and planning on attending training to become an HVAC tech and I am currently a stay at home mom with some college and hope to complete soon with a degree in medical imaging (I would would very much like to do sonograms at an obgyn office). If that extra info helps or changes anything please let me know...I am going crazy trying to find the 'best' place for us Thanks again everyone, really I can't thank you enough!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,492,124 times
Look no further than Miami...

Check the Mia map of quality districts by Crisp 444 in Miami threads...

This winter is a...one -in -30 years- exception,regularly u will T-shirt & flip-flop the winters...

Once u try,u will "never " look back...

Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,922,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom1225 View Post
thank you everyone for your replies! SOFLGAL: I didn't even think to mention the job situation...duh Thank you for bringing that up Well, my husband is currantly an acct manager for AArons rental and planning on attending training to become an HVAC tech and I am currently a stay at home mom with some college and hope to complete soon with a degree in medical imaging (I would would very much like to do sonograms at an obgyn office). If that extra info helps or changes anything please let me know...I am going crazy trying to find the 'best' place for us Thanks again everyone, really I can't thank you enough!
Your husband may find a tough time finding an HVAC job in the North Port area. You may have some better luck in the medical field once you complete your degree. A larger city, with more opportunities may be better for you.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:25 AM

15 posts, read 106,815 times
I am a FL native but unfortunately don't live there now. I have two children and if I were to move back, I'd probably move to Gainesville (due to the good schools, good size town, college atmosphere, decent distance to the beach). I would also consider Melbourne if I wanted to live real near the beach. Fort Myers is particularly cheap to live right now but there's not enough to do there for me and I don't know what the schools are like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida